Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Communal Feeding Ground? #7461378
01/15/22 09:06 AM
01/15/22 09:06 AM

J
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J

Beaver have dammed up a small creek entering a larger creek causing trouble flooding the farmers road. It looks is as if the beaver are living on the larger creek and have this specifically flooded for food. I've caught 14 beaver: 6 kits, 4 yearlings(3 male, 1 female), and 4 breeding pair size, 30# plus, 3 of which were female and 1 male. No visible signs of fighting with these beaver. Am I dealing with several different colonies maintaining the dam mutually for access to food? How many beaver do you expect in this situation?

Re: Communal Feeding Ground? [Re: ] #7461703
01/15/22 04:58 PM
01/15/22 04:58 PM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
J, on these big bayous down here, I see side ditches dammed also. I would say you caught all living in that area. Down here, I don’t see much signs of fighting at all on these big bayous. I think the constant up and down water levels with flooding, always keeps Beaver moving in and out of the area

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Communal Feeding Ground? [Re: the Blak Spot] #7461723
01/15/22 05:32 PM
01/15/22 05:32 PM

J
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
J, on these big bayous down here, I see side ditches dammed also. I would say you caught all living in that area. Down here, I don’t see much signs of fighting at all on these big bayous. I think the constant up and down water levels with flooding, always keeps Beaver moving in and out of the area

Spot, second check with no action. I think you may be right. Knocked a hole in the dam so I'll see. The three large females with only one equal size male got me scratching my head.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91