No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464771
01/18/22 02:00 PM
01/18/22 02:00 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
Ok, might as well throw in the towel, all is lost. Election results say otherwise, but ok.

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464796
01/18/22 02:39 PM
01/18/22 02:39 PM
north Idaho
decoy Offline
trapper
decoy  Offline
trapper

north Idaho
Thanks Fred, not quite as shell shocked here in Post Falls now!. Wife and I retired couple years ago, 79 yo now should have retired 15-20 years ago to really enjoy this beautiful state. You can bet I tried to check every nook and cranny while trying to raise family and keep food on the table so it was always slam bang where ever I was but wow have I tried living life to the fullest. Have had cancer since 2005 that sure slows ya down but now it's really went south. Anyway just the wife and I so bought a really nice Artic Fox 25' er that is big enough and put it up on the mountain above P.F. thanks to my kids.
Sure like your numbers Fred..

Hunt with your Kids, not for them.
>>>----->

Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464805
01/18/22 02:53 PM
01/18/22 02:53 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Sorry Fred. I'm not being scientific or probably objective. Just what I've seen throughout the state over the past 14 years that I've been back here. I generally refrain from arguing politics or religion, as it's not my place to convert anybody. No question, I'm an archaic dinosaur in that I don't do well in hordes of people. It seems to me that I've sure seen a change, and in my opinion, not for the better. Perhaps I need to buy another 'Cub and head back to the bush.

Jack

Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464810
01/18/22 02:56 PM
01/18/22 02:56 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
I totally understand where you are coming from Jack, I just don't think it is as dire as some folks make it out to be. Certainly a LOT different than when you moved here 14 years ago. But then every where is different than what it was 14 years ago.

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464822
01/18/22 03:23 PM
01/18/22 03:23 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
My sister and brother in law moved out to Montana about 8 years ago. Everyone sort of snubbed them thinkin they where from the left coast. Once they discovered they where from MN everything changed and they got a warm welcome. She said that over the past few years they seen lots of changes and not all for the good. Realestate skyrocketing along with taxes as well as the local attitude made them decide to move back. I always liked MT and considered moving there myself but with the way things are going today think I would make it WY instead. But regardless you can't run away from your problems and at some point better off staying put and making a stand.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464832
01/18/22 03:37 PM
01/18/22 03:37 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The ccockroach infestation is definitely getting worse. I am glad KS doesn't have any mountains. They attract them. Need some DDT.........

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464836
01/18/22 03:42 PM
01/18/22 03:42 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Yes Fred, things have changed dramatically just in the past 14 years. However, when I compare to 60 years ago growing up here in Idaho, the change really is apparent. The disrespect for land and wildlife is rampant and very saddening. Two pickup loads of garbage that we annually pick up on the dirt road above our house at the end of the deer/elk season is disappointing. I could go on and on, but won't. We've all seen it. We've nosed around the Intermountain West quite a bit, and you're right, we can't seem to locate any place better than what we have, so we do what we can to take care of it.

Jack

Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: 20scout] #7464838
01/18/22 03:44 PM
01/18/22 03:44 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by 20scout
My sister and brother in law moved out to Montana about 8 years ago. Everyone sort of snubbed them thinkin they where from the left coast. Once they discovered they where from MN everything changed and they got a warm welcome. She said that over the past few years they seen lots of changes and not all for the good. Realestate skyrocketing along with taxes as well as the local attitude made them decide to move back. I always liked MT and considered moving there myself but with the way things are going today think I would make it WY instead. But regardless you can't run away from your problems and at some point better off staying put and making a stand.

That is really difficult to understand.
I won't even change planes in MN.

Mean As Nails
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464844
01/18/22 03:49 PM
01/18/22 03:49 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
It's those dang republicans throwing beer bottles in my fishing hole. I like the democrats, they stay in the city where they belong. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464898
01/18/22 04:50 PM
01/18/22 04:50 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Local 'tudes are decent for me here and in all the towns or counties I've been .

The governors, AG, and others in any state can do much to control what goes on in general, and that's what it has been like here. Like the 70 pro gun bills MSSA has got into Montana Legislature and enacted into law. To quote MSSA's words, " With all respect to Montana's gun-friendly sister states, such as Wyoming, Arizona, Idaho , and Alaska, MSSA'S record of pro gun success is maybe two to four times as extensive as our closest competitor. That makes MSSA the best in the US by a long shot, which also makes MSSA the best at this in the world , since they just don't do this stuff in other countries. "

Good governors do much to stave off the Marxist left influence. All states endure Fed Gov hassles , such as school unions , University influences, nasty Mayors , judges , etc, but determined citizens are learning to push back with vigor more and more.

Even in the larger towns , like Missoula, I have yet to encounter the kinds of troubles common to east and west coast areas. Of course I'm not in the UOM , but the places I've done business in, and even the place I love to go to eat there, is thoroughly PRO gun, hunt and trapping. Seeing how packed that place is almost every day of the week , for years, with very conservative looking and acting people, many open carrying , shows me that even in liberal towns there is a mighty local conservative population that cannot be denied. Liberals wouldn't be able to stand the decor in that place.

The best thing I ever did years ago was move from the east, out west.

There are good places in Idaho , here, and others. Like our Tman Marine, John, says, the best decision he made was moving here.

Idaho and western states still have much to offer in the lifestyle conservatives enjoy and look for. When asked of real estate personnel , local shop owners, even my doc and dentist people about move ins, so far, they all say what is noticed, are far more conservatives moving in from other states, than Democrats. Also, some Dems who are so disgusted that they change to conservative.

You can be sure that the Dems get a decent amount of locals informing them as to what is expected of them , or else go back.

Time will tell .

I love the winter and cold this time around. Close to five feet on the valley floors here . Years ago , in N Idaho, many Californians got tired of the winters there , with lots of clouds , little sun , and long dark nights , a number of them moved away.

Nothing can ever push me away from big mountains .

Just don't let anyone bully you in where you want to go, what state to move into, or what you do with your life. Your happiness and quality of life enjoyed are in your hands. As mentioned earlier, every single state has changed in spans of years. With exception of the truly troubled Democratic dominated big cities in coastal east/western states, there's a lot to be positive about and see the good things , along with keeping a keen eye on the minuses. More pluses than minuses.

Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464919
01/18/22 05:07 PM
01/18/22 05:07 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Guys - glad I could add a bit of humor.

RM Trapper - you and I have talked deer hunting. We have had some fair experiences. We don’t want the world to know about the basket rack 6 pointers that we shot. It is best to prevent increased interest. This year I had my eye on a really nice trophy forkhorn. Send me a PM.

Buckmink - you don’t understand my report. All the better.

I am delighted to learn that you would not live in the area where I live. See what good writing can accomplish?

So you don’t understand why not to suggest Ohio, southern states, or an Appalachian area. Simple, the guy asked about relocating to western states.
By the way RM Trapper never said in his post “we got some big corn fed brutes of a deer”. Please brush up on reading comprehension and grammar.

Yes, there is fishing for planted steelhead in Ohio - if you like combat fishing near Daniels Park. Somehow quite a different experience from catching a wild steelhead in a wilderness river. Out on Lake Erie, a steelhead can be a pleasant surprise, but they frequently do not survive the experience to be released. I have caught many Ohio steelhead. And cooking one smells like a fire at a chemical factory.

Are you aware that the highest crime rate in all of Akron is in the University of Akron area? 56% higher than the rest of Akron. They should be giving away free criminal justice degrees. If you are quick to suggest others relocate to Ohio, especially southern Ohio, when it becomes crowded will you continue to enjoy what you describe?

My report is based upon living in one of the remaining nicest places in Ohio and I would like to preserve it.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464934
01/18/22 05:22 PM
01/18/22 05:22 PM
Arizona
O
oldtrapper Offline
trapper
oldtrapper  Offline
trapper
O

Arizona
As long as you are a hunter, fishermen, and trapper... I would welcome you to Arizona. Don't believe everything you read... You can trap on public land here... National Forest, BLM, and state trust land is open to cage trapping. Foothold traps are legal on private land only. If your a foothold trapper I would say move to Nevada. Arizona has some great fishing and awesome hunting. Let's see what's on the menu: Elk, Bison, Black bear, Big horn sheep, Pronghorn Antelope, Mountain Lion, Javalina, Mule deer, Whitetail deer, and Cues deer, hmmm... I wonder what other state has three different kinds of deer. Not to mention the small game, doves, ducks, quail, geese, sandhill cranes, and furbearers.

Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7464942
01/18/22 05:28 PM
01/18/22 05:28 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I was wondering around lost in Anchorage a few years back and ran into this guy on a lonely empty street one time. I let this one go. If it would have been Tony Bologna......

"Eric Croft was first elected to the Alaska House in 1996, four years after graduating law school, and was reelected four times, facing generally nominal opposition in his Democratic Anchorage district. He is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association and received both the 2003 NRA Defender of Freedom and Gun Rights Legislator of the Year awards. "

Last edited by Dirt; 01/18/22 05:29 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: oldtrapper] #7465039
01/18/22 06:51 PM
01/18/22 06:51 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
As long as you are a hunter, fishermen, and trapper... I would welcome you to Arizona. Don't believe everything you read... You can trap on public land here... National Forest, BLM, and state trust land is open to cage trapping. Foothold traps are legal on private land only. If your a foothold trapper I would say move to Nevada. Arizona has some great fishing and awesome hunting. Let's see what's on the menu: Elk, Bison, Black bear, Big horn sheep, Pronghorn Antelope, Mountain Lion, Javalina, Mule deer, Whitetail deer, and Cues deer, hmmm... I wonder what other state has three different kinds of deer. Not to mention the small game, doves, ducks, quail, geese, sandhill cranes, and furbearers.

Arizonia might be in the plan on my hunting trip this coming fall with stops in Virginia,Kansas,Nebraska, and hopefully Arizonia.Have not been in Arizona since I was 6 years old.Will be hunting mule deer in Arizonia if I make it there.

Nevada bound
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: oldtrapper] #7465218
01/18/22 09:25 PM
01/18/22 09:25 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho

Only thing about your big game species you didn't talk about is how hard it is to get tags even as a resident. Elk, bison, sheep.... those are all low odds. Elk in some units isn't as bad of a draw, but the good units you can wait years between tags. Desert sheep.... that's a once in a lifetime tag... if you're lucky. I really wish the antis hadn't of gotten your public land trapping taken away. Unfortunately AZ and NM are in the same boat on that one. My neighbor lives in AZ in the winter due to DRs orders. I'll see him again in a couple of months right about time steelhead start running lol.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7465229
01/18/22 09:31 PM
01/18/22 09:31 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
[Linked Image]

AZ is bad asssssssddd………

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7465301
01/18/22 09:58 PM
01/18/22 09:58 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Anything beats dying multiple times.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: sneaky] #7465709
01/19/22 09:24 AM
01/19/22 09:24 AM
Arizona
O
oldtrapper Offline
trapper
oldtrapper  Offline
trapper
O

Arizona
Yeah Bison and Bighorn sheep are a one time deal. My neighbor gets drawn for a cow elk almost every year. Only foothold traps are banned on public land . You can cage trap public land. Hunting season is all year long here in Arizona... it's gonna be cool side today... Only in the 70's

Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: oldtrapper] #7465762
01/19/22 10:44 AM
01/19/22 10:44 AM
Nevada
YamaCat Offline
trapper
YamaCat  Offline
trapper

Nevada
Yeah Bison and Bighorn sheep are a one time deal. My neighbor gets drawn for a cow elk almost every year. Only foothold traps are banned on public land . You can cage trap public land. Hunting season is all year long here in Arizona... it's gonna be cool side today... Only in the 70's

If you want to deal with it and get “Selected”, a person can use footholds on the Rez also. Talk about mostly untouched numbers !!

Re: What western state and where to look for moving to [Re: Providence Farm] #7465775
01/19/22 11:02 AM
01/19/22 11:02 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Nebraska is pretty hard to beat as much as people hound on us. I've traveled all around the United States and there's definitely something different about Nebraskans. I tend to never suggest moving here to most people as we have had a small influx from Californians mainly in the larger cities. Someone that traps such as yourself it would be a paradise. Outdoor activities pretty much all year around. I can still at this time go out on a trapline or calling coyotes all night and maybe pass 1-2 cars the entire time. People keep to themselves and most farmers are more than willing to allow predator control. As for the tornadoes that were mentioned earlier for the most part Nebraskans go out and look for them if there's a chance for them. You've got more of a chance to get hit by a bus walking across the street then to end up on the wrong end of them.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 01/19/22 11:06 AM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread