Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Wire staking #7465058
01/18/22 07:08 PM
01/18/22 07:08 PM
NW Georgia
B
Bscrandall Offline OP
trapper
Bscrandall  Offline OP
trapper
B

NW Georgia
How well would wire hold up with coyotes? As in staking the trap by wrapping wire around a tree, fence post, etc. I’ve done it with coon but this is a different ball game. I’ve been using 11 gauge wire. I know the best option would be to buy earth anchors but I don’t really run but a handful of traps just a few times a year and the wire makes for a quick set up. Thanks

Re: Wire staking [Re: Bscrandall] #7465064
01/18/22 07:16 PM
01/18/22 07:16 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I would go with cable extensions if you have convenient trees to attach too. Coyote are strong enough that they can actually cause the wire to unwrap unless you actually knot the wire.

Re: Wire staking [Re: Bscrandall] #7465354
01/18/22 10:22 PM
01/18/22 10:22 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
I have done it...go around the tree twice then tie, and bend the "knot" back on itself, but wouldn't recommend it for an every time situation! I'm not big on fretting about my set for a day! Spent snares (remade with a loop on each end) make for good extensions when you need one.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Wire staking [Re: Bscrandall] #7465439
01/18/22 11:18 PM
01/18/22 11:18 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
After having several failures with 11 gauge wire in my youthful trapping days, I learned my lesson and went to cable or chain on ALL traps. In my opinion you might get away with it for a while but eventually I suspect you will have a disappointment or two.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91