No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Southern Vs Northern Beaver trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7465646
01/19/22 08:20 AM
01/19/22 08:20 AM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
I guess I've trapped beaver in enough states to have an opinion. Wyoming, Michigan, Missouri, Louisiana, Illinois and Alaska quickly come to mind. The big difference that I noticed in Louisiana was that the lodges or huts in the Cyprus trees weren't insulated with any mud. Just a bunch of sticks and no feed cache to be found. Really took me back when I encountered that first colony. The beaver in Alaska made their feed cache from the shrubby growth surrounding the wetlands. Most of the cache materials were the diameter of my finger. There were no beaver chews floating of any size to use as supports or guides. I guess that's all they had to work with and were all fat and healthy.
Since beaver have such a large range over the continent it stands to reason they have adapted to their specific environment. I've observed feed caches in agricultural areas consisting of corn and even soybeans.
One thing that is consistent wherever I have found beaver is that in most cases a beaver is a beaver and if you make a beaver set it'll work no matter the geographic area. If castor doesn't work switch to a food lure and vice versa. Blind sets no difference. A channel set is a channel set in Alaska or Louisiana.
My two cents.

Last edited by All33; 01/19/22 08:21 AM.
Re: Southern Vs Northern Beaver trapping [Re: Boco] #7465653
01/19/22 08:39 AM
01/19/22 08:39 AM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
Boco... Just read a study on a mountain lion in NM that ranges along a river system. In the course of a 15 month study the lion had taken nine beavers as prey. I would imagine any beaver that lives in wolf and lion country is one nervous critter.
The most interesting nugget on the cat in NM was that badgers were an important food source for that individual lion. It took a few coyotes too. I remember reading about a female lion in Texas that was hard on the coyote population. Interesting that the typical ungulate prey we imagine that wolves and lions take isn't always the case.

Re: Southern Vs Northern Beaver trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7465656
01/19/22 08:48 AM
01/19/22 08:48 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
I wonder if those southern beavers get rubbed the way ours do here after a long ice period...And will also say I have never needed to watch for water moccasins while beaver trapping in the north!

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Southern Vs Northern Beaver trapping [Re: All33] #7465668
01/19/22 08:57 AM
01/19/22 08:57 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by All33
Boco... Just read a study on a mountain lion in NM that ranges along a river system. In the course of a 15 month study the lion had taken nine beavers as prey. I would imagine any beaver that lives in wolf and lion country is one nervous critter.
The most interesting nugget on the cat in NM was that badgers were an important food source for that individual lion. It took a few coyotes too. I remember reading about a female lion in Texas that was hard on the coyote population. Interesting that the typical ungulate prey we imagine that wolves and lions take isn't always the case.

Very interesting stuff

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Southern Vs Northern Beaver trapping [Re: Boco] #7465676
01/19/22 09:01 AM
01/19/22 09:01 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Boco
I dont believe there are more beaver in the south than in the north.
Canada has 1/4 of all the worlds fresh water and its all home to beavers.

A 1/4? I thought you guys were metric! or were just converting for us so we'd understand?

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Southern Vs Northern Beaver trapping [Re: Redknot] #7465697
01/19/22 09:13 AM
01/19/22 09:13 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Redknot
Originally Posted by Boco
I dont believe there are more beaver in the south than in the north.
Canada has 1/4 of all the worlds fresh water and its all home to beavers.

A 1/4? I thought you guys were metric! or were just converting for us so we'd understand?

Hes distorting the facts a little bit.He is referring to the five Great Lakes.Four of them are located part in Canada,,and part in the U.S.The fifth one,Lake Michigan lies completely in the U.S. grin

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread