No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466466
01/19/22 10:32 PM
01/19/22 10:32 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
you can't trust a manual safety.
they come off all the time in a holster

at best is a safety for holstering which is a valid concern

The LC9 EC9s have the manual safety you have to step up to the LC9s-pro to get rid of the safety

could it be that a SCCY needs 600 rounds to break it in , I suppose it could be but wouldn't the need for a 205 dollar gun to shoot 250-275 dollars in ammo to "break in" sort of defeat the purpose of a cheap gun in the first place?

had the G43 been around when I bought my LC9 and spare I probably would have gone 43
had the LC9s-Pro been around when I went LC9 it was the pistol I though they should have built but at this point I see no point to changing from the LC9 as a pocket gun I have other non pocket guns if I want to carry more rounds.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466468
01/19/22 10:33 PM
01/19/22 10:33 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
My wife has a Ruger LCR in 22 Magnum. She went with me to gun shows and handled many revolvers and pistols, and that's the one she felt best with. I truly believe that it is essential in choosing a CC weapon that you have one that fits you well and feels good. Only then should you make the decision to buy and shoot.....like your life depends on it.

Moosetrot

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466476
01/19/22 10:39 PM
01/19/22 10:39 PM
uniontown pa
G
gutthooked Offline
trapper
gutthooked  Offline
trapper
G

uniontown pa
I got my daughter one for her birthday a couple of years ago and a couple of Remington range packs, gun shot flawlessly. I forget which model Sccy it was but it was the one with the safety. Took the dealer a lil bit to get it in, but it's the one she wanted, guess purple Sccy are in big demand.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7466504
01/19/22 10:53 PM
01/19/22 10:53 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

at best is a safety for holstering which is a valid concern.

I agree, no manual safeties on mine or my wife's. The 365's have a fairly light trigger pull. We holster very carefully.

Eh...wot?

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: Lugnut] #7466540
01/19/22 11:21 PM
01/19/22 11:21 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Lugnut

I agree, no manual safeties on mine or my wife's. The 365's have a fairly light trigger pull. We holster very carefully.

even in competition I holster very carefully.

with my pocket holster it goes on the gun with the gun and holster outside the pocket in a safe direction.

I like the holsters that you can put the gun in the holster then slide them IWB and they have a clip or strap that goes to the belt

re-holstering while seated especially in a car is a bad idea just to easy to get clothing or something in the holster

more cops shoot themselves when re-holstering than any other part of their job

don't get complacent holstering.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: yotetrapper30] #7466563
01/19/22 11:41 PM
01/19/22 11:41 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I've been looking on and off for a conceal carry pistol for about 4 years now. Haven't bit the bullet yet.

My requirements:

Affordable.

Small (fit in a pocket if needed)

Manual Safety.

So far, the Sccy CPX 1 is at the top of my list.

Look at the M&P Shield they come with and without a manual safety, get a sleeve holster and skip the safety one less thing to get in the way if the day ever comes. Single stack grip textured fits the smaller hands well.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: Law Dog] #7466564
01/19/22 11:43 PM
01/19/22 11:43 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by Law Dog
I've been looking on and off for a conceal carry pistol for about 4 years now. Haven't bit the bullet yet.

My requirements:

Affordable.

Manual Safety.

Look at the M&P Shield they come with and without a manual safety, get a sleeve holster and skip the safety one less thing to get in the way if the day ever comes. Single stack grip textured fits the smaller hands well.

Yeah! M&P Shield fits all of your requirements.

It is a nice pistol.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466586
01/20/22 12:19 AM
01/20/22 12:19 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Ang, when your scared and running on a big dose of adrenaline like you will be if you ever have to kill somebody, you dont want to fool with a safety. You wont have to think about pulling the trigger. Simple is good when things go bad.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: danny clifton] #7466605
01/20/22 12:49 AM
01/20/22 12:49 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Ang, when your scared and running on a big dose of adrenaline like you will be if you ever have to kill somebody, you dont want to fool with a safety. You wont have to think about pulling the trigger. Simple is good when things go bad.

100 percent. Your fine motor skills go out the window with an adrenaline dump.

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466622
01/20/22 01:12 AM
01/20/22 01:12 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the revolver was the original point and click interface , the quality striker fired semi autos are so good that they are just the new revolver with more rounds and faster reloads and a better trigger

holsters are your trigger safety

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7466694
01/20/22 07:25 AM
01/20/22 07:25 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA

even in competition I holster very carefully.

with my pocket holster it goes on the gun with the gun and holster outside the pocket in a safe direction.

I like the holsters that you can put the gun in the holster then slide them IWB and they have a clip or strap that goes to the belt

re-holstering while seated especially in a car is a bad idea just to easy to get clothing or something in the holster

more cops shoot themselves when re-holstering than any other part of their job

don't get complacent holstering.

I usually carry AIWB so I'm always extra careful and thinking about what a negligent discharge while holstering could do.

I miss the hammer on my old Ruger P85. I could keep thumb pressure on it while holstering and it was assurance that nothing was caught on the trigger (or the hammer would be pushed back). I don't miss the size and especially don't miss the weight. Carry guns have come a long way since those days.

Eh...wot?

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: DWC] #7466699
01/20/22 07:26 AM
01/20/22 07:26 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by DWC
Originally Posted by danny clifton

100 percent. Your fine motor skills go out the window with an adrenaline dump.

This is why none of mine or my wife's carry weapons have manual safeties.

Eh...wot?

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: DelawareRob] #7466700
01/20/22 07:31 AM
01/20/22 07:31 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA

My requirements:

Affordable.

Manual Safety.

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Yeah! M&P Shield fits all of your requirements.

It is a nice pistol.

I bought my wife a Shield and she didn't like it, mostly because the slide was hard for her to operate. They do make an E-Z variant now with a weaker slide spring.

I traded it on a Sig P365, she loves it.

Eh...wot?

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466718
01/20/22 08:07 AM
01/20/22 08:07 AM
se SD
rags57078 Offline
Humorist
rags57078  Offline
Humorist

se SD
I have the CPX2 and haven't had a problem at all , I have run about 300 rounds through it, yes it does have a heavy trigger pull . I also have a Walther PPS , its a little heavier but one sweet 9mm

Off in my own world

Fish on !!!!!!!

47 years in this game of trapping
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466758
01/20/22 08:49 AM
01/20/22 08:49 AM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
The only gun I will carry-which is always-has to fit in my front pocket. Went through a kel tec 380-ruger 380-s w bodyguard 380 and finally have found my favorite. Diamondback DB. Fits in my pocket easily. Lightweight. extremely reliable and shoots really well. And if I remember very cheaply priced. And it's a 9mm.

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: Lugnut] #7466814
01/20/22 10:13 AM
01/20/22 10:13 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

I usually carry AIWB so I'm always extra careful and thinking about what a negligent discharge while holstering could do.

I miss the hammer on my old Ruger P85. I could keep thumb pressure on it while holstering and it was assurance that nothing was caught on the trigger (or the hammer would be pushed back). I don't miss the size and especially don't miss the weight. Carry guns have come a long way since those days.

[/quote]

my first carry gun was a S&W M39
it had the decocking safety I didn't really care for it's position so I would decock&safety then holster and click it off so I was just Double action on that first round I had a hard time finding holsters for it and eventualy sold it. sweet gun at the range very accurate.
we could only open carry in WI back then so it didn't matter that OWB leather holsters were all I ever found for it and it didn't get carried a ton. mostly in car in a case out of sight with a mag rubber banded to the grip.

it was the ILL state police and the M39 that put 9mm on the map for duty guns they say , the ILL state Police had a very high one shot stop ratio going with the M39 in 9mm in those early days https://www.sinistered.com/2017/09/30/notes-on-early-smith-wesson-semi-autos/

what people didn't catch was the M39 was awesome with ball ammo and picky about hollowpoints you had to find the right brand and make sure you ran those or it would jam up feeding hollowpoints the ILL state police knew they had to make the first one count so they did and made stats that made the 9mm shine for one shot stops

golden sabers were an almost for sure jam in every 2-3 mags

the ILL State police eventually worked with or found a federal 9mm round for the m39

much of the reasoning for the move to the M39 was due to a training officer finding that officers scored significantly better with the M39 than the 2 inch revolver that was their plain cloths carry , they moved to the M39 as a one gun solution for duty , plain cloths and off duty carry. one qualification , with one gun and done in less time with fewer rounds because they shot the gun better.
once the numbers for one shot stops came in lots of departments wanted the 9mm some adopted the high power or the double stack version of the m39 the M59

with guns that fed well and had greater capacity the numbers dropped hard in the other direction for one shot stops if you let 2 go every time you fired you were never going to get a one shot stop data.

data can tell you many things but if you don't explore the why you got that data some you might not get the whole answer.

the single action trigger pull was impressively short and light almost 1911 like if you had 8 rounds to fire on a target 7 of them could be single action that alone could bring scores up signifigantly.

makes you wonder if they had tried the High-power with the single action and manual safety if they would have shot even better but it was larger and heavier and didn't fit the do it all gun role they were looking for.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 01/20/22 10:18 AM.

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: jabNE] #7466831
01/20/22 10:40 AM
01/20/22 10:40 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
For those that think you can just function like normal during life and death situations look up the impact of SNS on the mind/body it’s the reason training is so important to your ability to stay in the fight and not shut down. It’s also smart to keep your gear in the same placement every time, just throwing your knife in any pocket is no big deal on a daily basis. Now in a fight your ability to process where you last put it can be greatly impaired under SNS and tip the odds to the other guy quickly.

Training gives you a edge knowing you don’t have to process every thought under limited abilities that will cloud your mind. If you think it cannot happen to you then you already came in second and don’t know it.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7466834
01/20/22 10:46 AM
01/20/22 10:46 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Green C P, I was going to say the same thing about accidental discharge (AD) and cops, but figured the OP had been bombarded enough. Those AD are the ones we hear about, so you know there are a lot more we don't hear about. A lot of the young cops are like cowboys on a drunken Sat. night can't help playing with there guns in the locker room. Not to mention the ones that shot themselves in the leg, foot while "cleaning" them. Ya rite. Training, mussel memory, practice, are your friends. That and keep your finger off the trigger till it's time to shoot. Good morning to ya.
Me

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: Law Dog] #7466859
01/20/22 11:08 AM
01/20/22 11:08 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
For those that think you can just function like normal during life and death situations look up the impact of SNS on the mind/body it’s the reason training is so important to your ability to stay in the fight and not shut down. It’s also smart to keep your gear in the same placement every time, just throwing your knife in any pocket is no big deal on a daily basis. Now in a fight your ability to process where you last put it can be greatly impaired under SNS and tip the odds to the other guy quickly.

Training gives you a edge knowing you don’t have to process every thought under limited abilities that will cloud your mind. If you think it cannot happen to you then you already came in second and don’t know it.

very good point and when people think they trained well go try a competition where your seeing things for the first time new targets , all sorts of get you off balance , make you shoot around obstructions , run it on the clock , moving targets.

the first time you see a drop turn , a peak-a-boo or a swinger your like what how the heck , it's so fast

it can be really tempting to gear up with all competition stuff and that is fun , but try it with your carry gun and holster see how you do

one stage last week there was a target visible from 2 spots , "gaming it " is waiting to shoot till the closer location would have been smart for the composite scoring , I shot it 4 times 2 from each spot , it cost me time but it seems like good practice to engage targets as you see them even if you see them twice. and it is less than the failure to engage penalty everyone has a plan till the buzzer goes.

it isn't a real life and death situation , but it is better than stationary paper and not moving pounding rounds into the same target.

a bunch of people watching you , the buuzzer , running on clock , it all adds more stress and the better you do with all being muscle memory then the better you hopefully do should you be in a fight.

Re: Opinions on SCCY conceal offerings? [Re: CaseXX] #7466867
01/20/22 11:20 AM
01/20/22 11:20 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by CaseXX
Green C P, I was going to say the same thing about accidental discharge (AD) and cops, but figured the OP had been bombarded enough. Those AD are the ones we hear about, so you know there are a lot more we don't hear about. A lot of the young cops are like cowboys on a drunken Sat. night can't help playing with there guns in the locker room. Not to mention the ones that shot themselves in the leg, foot while "cleaning" them. Ya rite. Training, mussel memory, practice, are your friends. That and keep your finger off the trigger till it's time to shoot. Good morning to ya.
Me

I don't think we are bombarding the OP I think we want to help them be the best we can be because we have a genuine concern for them as people.

I like you signature line

the Col Jeff Cooper and some other guys like Bill Wilson owner of Wilson combat got together about 45 years ago and set out to make a really good training tool IPSC International Practical shooting Confederation. it is really interesting to see how competition has shaped handguns , how we shoot and nearly all the changes to police and combat shooting.

it is a proving ground where all the participants survive the day to analyze what they did and how could they do it better.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread