No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Coyotes, cable restraints, ponds, and full moons. #7468172
01/21/22 03:10 PM
01/21/22 03:10 PM
Plymouth, Wi
T
trappertate Offline OP
trapper
trappertate  Offline OP
trapper
T

Plymouth, Wi
I'm running cable restraints on a group of frozen ponds. I set last week Thursday and have caught 2 young females since. The pond was littered with tracks in the snow (i understand those tracks were a culmination of weeks of travel). I set all my cables on trails they had used. I walked off to the side as i set them as to not disturb their tracks. I'm pleased with my catch so far, but in my mind it seemed more coyotes were using these ponds, more often.

So, my questions are as follows... are my tracks in the snow affecting their travels on the ice and around the ponds. I'm staying away from the cables as i check but cannot see them from the truck so walking is a must. Majority of my walking is on the ice, not the cattails and marsh grass bordering the ponds. Second question is, would the full moon phase we are in be affecting coyote movement? As i said, mentally i expected more movement... but, yotes are yotes. The trails/ tracks i set, in my mind it's only a matter of time before they revisit the same tracks and trails. I know they haven't been back for a few days, as i haven't seen new tracks. I suppose I'm being impatient.

Thank you for all the potential input.

Re: Coyotes, cable restraints, ponds, and full moons. [Re: trappertate] #7468311
01/21/22 05:54 PM
01/21/22 05:54 PM
N.W. Pennsylvania, Venango cou...
PA.Trapper Offline
trapper
PA.Trapper  Offline
trapper

N.W. Pennsylvania, Venango cou...
I have never had any trouble with them walking right down my tracks. Especially after a deep snow.i have spent the last 4 evenings out walking trails in to reset a bunch of cable restraints on them tomorrow.work work work. grin

Life's too short, enjoy everyday like it was your last.
Re: Coyotes, cable restraints, ponds, and full moons. [Re: trappertate] #7468501
01/21/22 08:49 PM
01/21/22 08:49 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Walk around more, if they're used to your scent, they will be a little less wary.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Coyotes, cable restraints, ponds, and full moons. [Re: trappertate] #7468615
01/21/22 10:21 PM
01/21/22 10:21 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
As far as the full moon is concerned, anyone who has trapped coyotes, fox, coons and such should already know that animals such as these can't eat during a full moon.
They are too busy drinking liquor and laughing at humans for believing that they won't eat during a full moon...

Re: Coyotes, cable restraints, ponds, and full moons. [Re: trappertate] #7468703
01/21/22 11:45 PM
01/21/22 11:45 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Don't know what your baiting laws are . If you auger hole in ice between travel areas until the water starts to seap in the hole pack the hole with cut bait and the slush from the hole,fish rat cat beaver all work well. The bait will freeze in the ice . It will draw critters 4 a long time.

Re: Coyotes, cable restraints, ponds, and full moons. [Re: trappertate] #7469772
01/23/22 09:04 AM
01/23/22 09:04 AM
Plymouth, Wi
T
trappertate Offline OP
trapper
trappertate  Offline OP
trapper
T

Plymouth, Wi
Thanks for the responses everyone. We got fresh snow last night, and there were no new tracks out on the ice. They'll be back!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread