No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
2021 rabies #7471923
01/24/22 10:38 PM
01/24/22 10:38 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND
In 2021, rabies took the life of five people in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it’s the highest number of deaths from the disease in a decade.

According to The New York Times, direct contact with a bat resulted in three of those deaths, including that of a 7-year-old child. The deaths occurred in Idaho, Illinois, and Texas over a five-week period beginning in September. The victims experienced symptoms three to seven weeks after contact with bats and died two to three weeks after the onset of symptoms.

The rabies virus is usually transmitted through the saliva of an infected animal via a bite. Although it has one of the highest mortality rates of any disease, rabies is preventable with a vaccine that is almost 100% effective if taken before symptoms appear. Approximately 59,000 people die from rabies around the world each year. In the U.S., however, death from rabies is extremely rare; in fact, there were no rabies deaths in 2019 and 2020.

According to the CDC, four of the five people who died in late 2021 did not get the vaccine. Two of the victims didn’t take the vaccine either because they didn’t notice a bite or scratch or they were unaware of the risk of catching rabies from bats. The man who did receive the vaccine had a weakened immune system that didn’t respond to the treatment.

“The most important thing that we wanted people to take away from this report is that it is a reminder about how dangerous having direct contact with bats can be,” said Amber Kunkel, an Epidemic Intelligence Service officer for the CDC.

In the early 1900s, each year more than 100 people would die from the disease in the U.S. Since 1960, the number of human deaths from rabies has fallen to one or two per year thanks to pet vaccinations, animal control programs, and public health awareness programs. Also, the rabies vaccine for humans became more available.

“We have come a long way in the United States toward reducing the number of people who become infected each year with rabies,” Ryan Wallace, a veterinarian and rabies expert at the CDC, said in a statement, “but this recent spate of cases is a sobering reminder that contact with bats poses a real health risk.”

If you come in contact with a bat, or if a bat has entered your home and it’s unclear if someone came in contact with it, call local health officials for guidance. Each year approximately 60,000 people receive rabies vaccines.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: 2021 rabies [Re: MJM] #7472072
01/25/22 05:08 AM
01/25/22 05:08 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
"Old Yeller" not only taught about friendships and how hard nature can be, but also brought awareness about rabies. Even farm people need to be reminded as well as city dwellers.

I seem to always get allergies that makes my eyes water when I watch or read the novel.

Last edited by Foxpaw; 01/25/22 05:10 AM.
Re: 2021 rabies [Re: MJM] #7472149
01/25/22 08:08 AM
01/25/22 08:08 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Odd how they go into great detail about causes for 3 of the 5 deaths (bats), but nothing about the other 2?

Re: 2021 rabies [Re: MJM] #7472179
01/25/22 08:36 AM
01/25/22 08:36 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Just had the dogs to the vet yesterday for rabies vac. Vet said that here in WI rabies is now considered under control in everything but bats. Said getting pets vaccinated was best way to prevent spread to humans.
Have friend this past summer got scratched when bat landed on him. He had to do the whole rabies shot program. Guess it's not as bad as was years ago. Shots went in his arms not in his stomach like used to.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: 2021 rabies [Re: MJM] #7472205
01/25/22 08:59 AM
01/25/22 08:59 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Great book and movie

Nevada bound
Re: 2021 rabies [Re: MJM] #7472267
01/25/22 09:52 AM
01/25/22 09:52 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Great post MJM.

Just a reminder: Most pre exposure rabies vaccination shots are covered 100% by medical insurance. Most post exposure shots are Not (if you didn't get the "vaccination")...and will cost you right around 5K from what I've heard.

For those of us that mess with critters much (especially skunks), it might not be a bad vaccination to get. It costed me zero dollars personally, even though they said I would have to pay for the office visit, I didn't get charged one cent.

Last edited by Calvin; 01/25/22 10:01 AM.
Re: 2021 rabies [Re: Macthediver] #7472344
01/25/22 10:47 AM
01/25/22 10:47 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Macthediver
Just had the dogs to the vet yesterday for rabies vac. Vet said that here in WI rabies is now considered under control in everything but bats. Said getting pets vaccinated was best way to prevent spread to humans.
Have friend this past summer got scratched when bat landed on him. He had to do the whole rabies shot program. Guess it's not as bad as was years ago. Shots went in his arms not in his stomach like used to.

Mac

I've
we had the shots ,not hard at all.
Easy

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: 2021 rabies [Re: MJM] #7472371
01/25/22 11:12 AM
01/25/22 11:12 AM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
I found another article on this and 4 of the exposures was bats. The fifth was a dog bite to a traveler in the Philippines who died after returning to the US in New York.

Here is a link to the other article:

2021 US Rabies Deaths Article

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: 2021 rabies [Re: MJM] #7472374
01/25/22 11:19 AM
01/25/22 11:19 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I got the pre exposure vac some time back in 90s when first found out I could get it. Was two shots I think about month apart?? Since then I recall getting only a one shot booster. I know at the time I got the booster. I ask my doc about getting my titter checked. He said if checked and needed a booster.. was better idea to just get the booster pay once. Wouldn't hurt do it that way. So that is what I did just took the booster.
I was just to the doc a couple weeks ago and meant to ask about the rabies vac. Got to side tracked her hacking a mole off my face forgot about it.. I only handle 3 skunks this fall and that is where greatest chance exposure comes in for me. So I'll try remember ask about my status when get back to doc again. For the most part I don't worry about it now that not handling 3-4 skunks a day on trapline.

Oh and the vet told me to make sure fully cook any the beavers I decided was going to eat. \Said to consider it like pork used to be, But I already knew that.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: 2021 rabies [Re: Macthediver] #7472382
01/25/22 11:25 AM
01/25/22 11:25 AM
Minnesota

trapper

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Macthediver
I got the pre exposure vac some time back in 90s when first found out I could get it. Was two shots I think about month apart?? Since then I recall getting only a one shot booster. I know at the time I got the booster. I ask my doc about getting my titter checked. He said if checked and needed a booster.. was better idea to just get the booster pay once. Wouldn't hurt do it that way. So that is what I did just took the booster.
I was just to the doc a couple weeks ago and meant to ask about the rabies vac. Got to side tracked her hacking a mole off my face forgot about it.. I only handle 3 skunks this fall and that is where greatest chance exposure comes in for me. So I'll try remember ask about my status when get back to doc again. For the most part I don't worry about it now that not handling 3-4 skunks a day on trapline.

Oh and the vet told me to make sure fully cook any the beavers I decided was going to eat. \Said to consider it like pork used to be, But I already knew that.

Mac

Good info

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: 2021 rabies [Re: Calvin] #7472408
01/25/22 11:44 AM
01/25/22 11:44 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by Calvin
Great post MJM.

Just a reminder: Most pre exposure rabies vaccination shots are covered 100% by medical insurance. Most post exposure shots are Not (if you didn't get the "vaccination")...and will cost you right around 5K from what I've heard.

For those of us that mess with critters much (especially skunks), it might not be a bad vaccination to get. It costed me zero dollars personally, even though they said I would have to pay for the office visit, I didn't get charged one cent.

How long does the shot last?

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: 2021 rabies [Re: Yukon John] #7472427
01/25/22 11:57 AM
01/25/22 11:57 AM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Originally Posted by Yukon John
Originally Posted by Calvin
Great post MJM.

How long does the shot last?

That is what the titer test is for. Everyone is different. I know folks who have not needed a booster in over 20 years and others need them in just a few years.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: 2021 rabies [Re: MJM] #7472452
01/25/22 12:27 PM
01/25/22 12:27 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND
From what I saw it can vary a fair amount from one person to the next. I have no idea why but was told that it does not last as long in older people. I do not know if that was true, but it is what I was told. I was tested between three and four years and needed a booster. Some people make it longer. I read in the paper work I got, that even though I was taking the pre exposure shots, if I thought I was exposed to rabies I should go in for the post exposure shots.
An ER doctor told my wife that horses and ponies could not carry rabies, after we had a pony die and the vet said for her to go get rabies shots. I sent her back and a different doctor was working and started her on the rabies shots.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: 2021 rabies [Re: MJM] #7472456
01/25/22 12:32 PM
01/25/22 12:32 PM
Minnesota

trapper

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by MJM
From what I saw it can vary a fair amount from one person to the next. I have no idea why but was told that it does not last as long in older people. I do not know if that was true, but it is what I was told. I was tested between three and four years and needed a booster. Some people make it longer. I read in the paper work I got, that even though I was taking the pre exposure shots, if I thought I was exposed to rabies I should go in for the post exposure shots.
An ER doctor told my wife that horses and ponies could not carry rabies, after we had a pony die and the vet said for her to go get rabies shots. I sent her back and a different doctor was working and started her on the rabies shots.

Good

Lots of clinics are not very versed in Rabies protocol

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: 2021 rabies [Re: 330-Trapper] #7472619
01/25/22 02:26 PM
01/25/22 02:26 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by MJM

Good

Lots of clinics are not very versed in Rabies protocol

This is true. Had one clinic tell my buddy that rabies vaccinations aren't a thing for humans....only pets. Even though the CDC has a hand out on it. hmmmm.

I called my insurance provider and they found me a location that was familiar with the vaccine.

I got my titer checked about 5 years after getting the shot. It was good at that point. Probably time for another check. Yes, I've known people who are still good 20 plus years later, too.

Re: 2021 rabies [Re: Calvin] #7472681
01/25/22 03:33 PM
01/25/22 03:33 PM
benton cty, Minnesota
ccoyote Offline
trapper
ccoyote  Offline
trapper

benton cty, Minnesota
I got the Rabies Pre exposure shots for Vet school. It was required upon starting. At that time most the students are still under parents insurance, and most people did have to pay out of pocket for the shots. They were around $800 to $1050 for the series depending where you looked when I was shopping around. that was about 7 yrs ago.

Around 1/3 of my classmates including myself needed a booster 2 yrs later when titers were checked.

1 classmate had to redo the whole series as they had no titer... the rest of us just needed a single booster.

The funniest part is everytime I went in people would ask what I had been bitten by.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread