No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7461929
01/15/22 09:15 PM
01/15/22 09:15 PM
Mn
R
Reaperman Offline
trapper
Reaperman  Offline
trapper
R

Mn
What type of call are you using?

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7461930
01/15/22 09:20 PM
01/15/22 09:20 PM
South Central Kansas
KsTrapper88 Offline
trapper
KsTrapper88  Offline
trapper

South Central Kansas
Predator quest open reed, or fox pro inferno?(the name always changes and I’ve had it for 8 years, the cheaper fox pro)

I’m an idiot, I just opened this thread and saw the question above and thought it was asking what calls everyone uses. Well if anyone cares, I told you what I use haha

Last edited by KsTrapper88; 01/15/22 09:26 PM.

Derek
Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: Reaperman] #7465707
01/19/22 09:21 AM
01/19/22 09:21 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Reaperman
What type of call are you using?

Call me crazy at the end of last season's vacation I took this pile of fur and sold it off. I had enough for an entry level thermal, a Ruger 223, and just enough to come up with a Fox Pro Patriot. I didn't want to spend any more money then the fur check allowed. I've used that call since then and it's done everything I need. The rest has just kind of came along as I have went. I had to work this morning but called three places last night after work. Just fell short of my goal of 50. Shot another two coyotes. I almost kept going to hit that number but it will come soon enough. My dad lost a heifer almost five weeks ago and the coyotes finally found it. I'm going to wait until they are piled on it and see what I can pick off. I'm currently torn between a number of items I'd like to update before next season. First of all I am looking really hard at the Iray Bravo 384, second I'd like to update the caller with some new sounds, and finally now that the suppressor has gone online I've considered suppression as it would make my job that much easier at night.

[Linked Image]

A lot of guys question thermals but calling with them day/night it's very hard to miss much of anything. I can see them coming easily from 1/2 mile away and if you're positioned to where you can watch it's very hard for them to get around you. They try pretty hard though. If you play the wind it's pretty interesting just how close you can get them in while it's pitch dark out. This has been my first full season calling them with thermal, last season I did for maybe a month at the end of the year. I'm back to all coyote vocals again and they are coming for them.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7477231
01/29/22 07:24 AM
01/29/22 07:24 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Getting ready to head out, have an 0800 check in for a 24 hour raccoon tournament tonight. It's a weird time to check it but we have to drive 1.5 hours to get to it so I am happy its early in the day rather than right at dark. We've pretty much decided we aren't going to call during the day and just go as hard as we can go all night, so we're pretty much driving to check in and coming home. We aren't really planning on winning and this is the first year they've done it but it will be interesting to see how many we can get. Plan is to pretty much go for 12 hours before we drive back up to check in. I took the Rattler 35 off my .223 and mounted it on the .17 yesterday. Will be my first night shooting raccoons with thermals instead of night vision and I can't wait.

Helped a local guy set five traps yesterday. New to trapping and has some cats on camera, we'll see how that comes about. It was nice to smack a few sets in the ground again but I'm also very glad they're his traps and he's going to be checking them.... I can just enjoy what he catches.

Hopefully I remember to hit the record button a few times. It always sounds like a good plan until they're sitting in your lap.

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7477238
01/29/22 07:38 AM
01/29/22 07:38 AM
PA
C
coyotesoldier229 Offline
trapper
coyotesoldier229  Offline
trapper
C

PA
Good luck Wade. Sounds like you’ve got a good plan. Those cats spots and belly’s are a heck of a lot nicer than any cat I’ve ever seen around here.

Re: It’s that time of the year [Re: WadeRyan] #7480821
02/01/22 10:21 AM
02/01/22 10:21 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Was definitely a fun time with the contest. First one I've ever been in and I can still hang with the young pups. We only ended up starting hunting around six in the evening and went all the way through. Saw a pile of raccoons. Had a couple Christmas trees we couldn't get to work out such as seven raccoons in one brush pile and six in a den tree. We dropped probably an additional 10 raccoons for our half and 15 for the other half that either fell back into trees or made their way to holes before we could get our hands on them. What we didn't anticipate was that the flyer mainly mentioned hunting but did specify legal means in Nebraska, so there was one team that trapped and were allowed to compete. They won the contest with I believe 74. They were a team of four young guys and it was great to see them do well. If it is going on again next year and not specified again I'll definitely be running traps prior to hunting. Otherwise we finished fourth out of a total of 27 teams from what we could gather on the counts and the top three hunting teams were relatively close I believe we had 43, then 48, and 49. Largest raccoon weighed 26 pounds our biggest was 22.5. Smallest raccoon trapped tied us at 5.25 lbs and they won the tie breaker. There was a buyer there and there were some disappointed teams. I wasn't surprised with the averages as they were mostly hunted likely full of holes and the current state of the fur market. Our pile of 43 was valued at less than a $1 a piece and we just donated it back to the Fire Hall the competition was raising money for. Overall, it was a great experience and even though I only had the .17 we did have one curious coyote come in and I finished my season right at 50 coyotes. Couldn't be happier. I'm surprised my eyes were open at that point I'd been up for around 24 hours. Finally crashed after 36 hours.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread