No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Flagging trap sets #7475537
01/27/22 08:06 PM
01/27/22 08:06 PM
Michigan
K
Kevin Berry Offline OP
trapper
Kevin Berry  Offline OP
trapper
K

Michigan
I had the idea to rig some sort of flagging system onto 110s or 120s for muskrat sets so I could see if the trap had fired from my vehicle. I was thinking of attaching a flag to one of the jaws at a 90 degree angle so once it fired it would be standing straight up. Was wondering if anyone else had done this before and if so, do you have any plans for making it? Do you think it would interfere at all with rats entering the trap?

Thanks

Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Kevin Berry] #7475557
01/27/22 08:23 PM
01/27/22 08:23 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I never tried it cause I never thought of it. Sure sounds like its worth trying. I have done that with cat sets you have to climb up into rimrock or whatever cause the spot is just to likely not to. Stand up a pole and put your drag at the bottom of it so a catch knocks it down. Dont need to climb back up very often. I know that works and saves a lot of time.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Kevin Berry] #7475577
01/27/22 08:34 PM
01/27/22 08:34 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
There was a pair of brothers that would catch a bunch of rats in drainage ditches. They used a wooden wedge with a eye bolt and string attached to it so would float when made a catch. The wedge went through the eye of the spring and push against the stake that held the trap in position. They would have 3 to 5 freezers full of rats back then.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: danny clifton] #7475591
01/27/22 08:47 PM
01/27/22 08:47 PM
Michigan
K
Kevin Berry Offline OP
trapper
Kevin Berry  Offline OP
trapper
K

Michigan
That sounds like a good idea. I may do something similar but tie off to the jaw of the coni to knock over the flag. I'd like to have the flag on the trap so I can carry it all as one unit, but I'm afraid of a flag on the trap making them not commit.

Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Kevin Berry] #7475596
01/27/22 08:51 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
A flag on the trap would make it easier for everyone else to see. Like the wood wedge better.

Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Kevin Berry] #7475598
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Many years ago I watched a beaver demo Paul's dad gave at NTA. After demo I was standing off to the side asking charlie couple questions. The subject of checking underwater conibears came up. What he suggested for those places where you can't see the trap underwater. Didn't want climb down in water if didn't have to maybe looking over bridge rail. Was to tie a string around Jaws with small float on it. If trap is fired string breaks floats is up on top water. Even said if was in high traffic area like by bridge. Use pieces junk styrofoam. Some one else looks over bridge railing sees piece stryofoam floating. Probably won't be checking it out and steeling your trap and catch. So if your traps are under water the float trick might work.
There was a guy here on T-Man years ago. Was running small electric wire to his under ice 330 for beaver. Instead of chopping ice every time to check his traps. He put continuity tester on it. Which can be as simple as battery and light bulb. Light come on traps still set, don't come on is fired chop it out. I don't recall who that was or if he kept doing it. But I recall him posting about messing around with it.
I've also done like Danny said for land sets. Put some type marker that gets knocked down. I've used the little flags like they mark utilities with for that sometimes. Glass sets so don't have to walk in every day flags down somethings out whack.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Jim Bethell] #7475636
01/27/22 09:17 PM
01/27/22 09:17 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Jim Bethell
A flag on the trap would make it easier for everyone else to see. Like the wood wedge better.

Yep

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Macthediver] #7475837
01/27/22 11:35 PM
01/27/22 11:35 PM
Michigan
K
Kevin Berry Offline OP
trapper
Kevin Berry  Offline OP
trapper
K

Michigan
The float idea is a great one, thanks for that. I trap mostly on private land so I am lucky not to have to worry about anyone stealing a trap. I wonder how he would rig the electrical wires on the 330. Seems like just by attaching to the trap it could close the circuit. I wonder if he had the sprung jaws disconnect the circuit.

I'd also like to incorporate the idea on mink boxes. Having the trap knock over a flag may be the best for that.

Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Kevin Berry] #7478719
01/30/22 02:52 PM
01/30/22 02:52 PM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
If I recall correctly he was just twisting the wire ends together. Had it rigged so when trap fired pulled the twist apart. Then open circuit meant trap was fired. Only need like piece lamp cord or speaker wire to rig that.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: 330-Trapper] #7478800
01/30/22 04:17 PM
01/30/22 04:17 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by Jim Bethell

Yep

X3 if you are not in your own little private area you are advertising your presence. The only flagging I have done is spring beaver on private land.

Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Kevin Berry] #7478857
01/30/22 05:23 PM
01/30/22 05:23 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Like others have said, unless private your inviting trouble. There are some good apps if you have a smart phone to help pin point your sets and you can also make notes for later. Even an inexpensive GPS will work to mark and locate your sets.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Kevin Berry] #7478929
01/30/22 06:29 PM
01/30/22 06:29 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
I have used a simple system a few times for beaver, so I didn't have to walk back to the set and cross the creek. I used it at bank dens with a 330. I had the trap wired to large limb from one of the spring rings... would then take two regular pieces of lath with the tops painted white... I used them as very loose stabilizers... only shoved into the bottom far enough to keep them erect. The one time I caught 6 beavers and 3 muskrats from this one den in 2 weeks... each time at least one of the lath was knocked down. Five of the beaver and 1 of the rats took both down. I have used it several other places other than this one den and it always worked for me.

I never use stands of any kind. I use a good wire to fasten it to something on the bank and never needed much support from anything else and I have caught beaver up to 63 pounds using this system. I only ever trapped in streams for beaver, never a marsh or through the ice.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Actor] #7479237
01/30/22 09:56 PM
01/30/22 09:56 PM
Michigan
K
Kevin Berry Offline OP
trapper
Kevin Berry  Offline OP
trapper
K

Michigan
Originally Posted by Actor
I have used a simple system a few times for beaver, so I didn't have to walk back to the set and cross the creek. I used it at bank dens with a 330. I had the trap wired to large limb from one of the spring rings... would then take two regular pieces of lath with the tops painted white... I used them as very loose stabilizers... only shoved into the bottom far enough to keep them erect. The one time I caught 6 beavers and 3 muskrats from this one den in 2 weeks... each time at least one of the lath was knocked down. Five of the beaver and 1 of the rats took both down. I have used it several other places other than this one den and it always worked for me.

I never use stands of any kind. I use a good wire to fasten it to something on the bank and never needed much support from anything else and I have caught beaver up to 63 pounds using this system. I only ever trapped in streams for beaver, never a marsh or through the ice.

Garry-

Garry, thanks for the advice! Sounds like a good plan

Re: Flagging trap sets [Re: Kevin Berry] #7479242
01/30/22 10:00 PM
01/30/22 10:00 PM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
When I was running a much smaller line than I did in later years, I would rather goldenrod galls and paint them white. With a foot of stem on them, I would push them gently through one of the links of the trap chain. When I made a catch it would pull the gall and be gone. Worked pretty good until my line was too big to have the time to fool with it. Then I only did it when the spots were hard to get to but too good to pass up.

There was one set one time that was on the other side of a deep muck hole. I set up a beautiful blind set and could see the trap from the other side of the muck hole. All season I checked that trap with no catch. When the day came to pull the line, there was a rotten mink in the trap and the trap was still sitting in the same spot. Turns out that the trap I was checking was a small piece of grape vine that had formed in a circle and had settled next to the trap.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread