No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478505
01/30/22 10:06 AM
01/30/22 10:06 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Get a splitter and save your backs we have cottonwood, elm, ash and Russian olive here, a maul is about useless. I’d still be working on my first cord if that’s all I had was a maul. I get plenty of exercise getting the huge rounds to the splitter but the amount of wood is worth it you get back for the effort.

Not pretty but nothing can stop it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478508
01/30/22 10:10 AM
01/30/22 10:10 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Scout1 tradition here is to get 18 year olds out for their first "bar" tour ( legal age). with splitting 8-10 full cords with a log splitter. ( the adults hide the water bottles,but keep hydrated) So after a couple of hours go to the bar. Years later those young lads always remind us of the experience and the shock experience they had,

My experience with Fiskars has always been good and so far have not needed a warranty on my several claims.

Mike in A-town gets it, and crossfire21 practices it, who needs a membership in a gym when doing that amount of workout yearly.

Always remember the phrase ;" many finger prints go into and onto the woodpile, only to be turned into ashes "

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478543
01/30/22 10:41 AM
01/30/22 10:41 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Be sure to get a Pickaroon!!!! Those are second most important tool for firewood processing. will save your back!!

Had to look it up. I have seen them before now know what they are for. Do you like a picharoon or hookaroon better?

I use the loggerite style at work. Buy them by the dozen. They're best for 8 foot logs and mill work. I like the shorter handled tool with more of a pointed hook tip for firewood work. You can stick a split chunk, picking it up, then a flick of the wrist it will fall off onto your stack, trailer or truck bed.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: meltnmetal] #7478544
01/30/22 10:45 AM
01/30/22 10:45 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Online content OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Online Content OP
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by meltnmetal
Gransfors bruks make a nice one. Bought one last year and it works really well. Spendy, but cheap isn't good and good isnt cheap.

True but spendy dose not automaticly = good either. There is a lot of high priced junk out there also when middle of the road stuff works better or as well with less matinance. High end cars are one example. More expensive to fix and need fixed more than say a Toyota.

In my case I want quality but I also have young boys and tools get left out at times even ran over becuse of it. So its a fine line for me between price and quality. I dont want junk and is why I asked but I also dont want to loose a $100 + tool in the leafs if my youngster go out and get to horse playing and forget to pick it up.

One day i would like to get some hi end stuff but it will probably be a few more years down the road. Tell then i will be jeulous of those that have and use it. I looked those up and boy do they look fine. Such nice looking tools. Someday maybe? But they are so nice looking I would not want to use them for more than a wall hanger.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/30/22 12:29 PM.
Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478575
01/30/22 11:12 AM
01/30/22 11:12 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I prefer the gasoline kind! cool

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478587
01/30/22 11:19 AM
01/30/22 11:19 AM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma
I use the same maul my great grandpa used, I have never looked at the brand. There may not be a name to read its pretty heavy and has had a metal handle weld in it. There ain't no telling how many rick that thing has split.

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478589
01/30/22 11:22 AM
01/30/22 11:22 AM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
All I can say is that there are different cutting edges to mauls. I had one for quite a while that had the crappy edge like on the right. Then I got one with a good edge like the one on the left and it splits so much easier.

[Linked Image]

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478672
01/30/22 01:31 PM
01/30/22 01:31 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana

Had to look it up. I have seen them before now know what they are for. Do you like a picharoon or hookaroon better?[/quote]
I use the loggerite style at work. Buy them by the dozen. They're best for 8 foot logs and mill work. I like the shorter handled tool with more of a pointed hook tip for firewood work. You can stick a split chunk, picking it up, then a flick of the wrist it will fall off onto your stack, trailer or truck bed. [/quote]

Sounds nice. Thanks for letting me know. I am always learn something new on this sight. Any sugested models and brand for fire wood. Im 5'8"

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478885
01/30/22 05:58 PM
01/30/22 05:58 PM
B.R.Falls Wisconsin
J
JD Nichols Offline
trapper
JD Nichols  Offline
trapper
J

B.R.Falls Wisconsin
Fiskars X27.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out,shouting...
Wow-What a ride!"
Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478904
01/30/22 06:12 PM
01/30/22 06:12 PM
coastal ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

coastal ny
I have, and used a 70's monster maul, with good technique there isn't much you can't split, and it's not as slow as you'd think. BUT... those hydraulic splitters are pretty nice!!!!

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7478960
01/30/22 06:59 PM
01/30/22 06:59 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
ah the AXaroon and Pickaroon or Hookaroon

I like this AXaroon , it has simply the best sticking and holding tip geometry I have tried or seen

[Linked Image]

unfortunately the place I got it from L&M supply out of Minnesota no longer carries them and I don't have a manufacturer for them

the point is laser cut steel welded to the eye , best tip geometry for holding I have found if you can lift it , it can hold it

I have a pickaroon form this place also http://www.pickaroon.com/ it doesn't hold as well but works

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7479075
01/30/22 07:53 PM
01/30/22 07:53 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I like this AXaroon , it has simply the best sticking and holding tip geometry I have tried or seen

[Linked Image]

unfortunately the place I got it from L&M supply out of Minnesota no longer carries them and I don't have a manufacturer for them

the point is laser cut steel welded to the eye , best tip geometry for holding I have found if you can lift it , it can hold it

I have a pickaroon form this place also http://www.pickaroon.com/ it doesn't hold as well but works
Those don't last for the mill, I bought a few of them. They're real good for firewood though. Fiskars makes a shorter Hookaroon thats in the mid $40 range thats light and picks firewood chunks up nice. Hand tongs are not expensive and are good for dragging long wood to a better cutting spot.

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7479080
01/30/22 07:55 PM
01/30/22 07:55 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
I picked up the 36" fiskers and the 27 spliting ax. It was about dark but i went out and took a few swings on some harder spliting wood. I got it split but I think I was right about them being on the light side for me. But that may change when I get to use them more. They will be great for easier splitt8ng wood and for my boys to use.

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7479150
01/30/22 08:40 PM
01/30/22 08:40 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Those don't last for the mill, I bought a few of them. They're real good for firewood though. Fiskars makes a shorter Hookaroon thats in the mid $40 range thats light and picks firewood chunks up nice. Hand tongs are not expensive and are good for dragging long wood to a better cutting spot.

I run a pair of Husquvarna tongs at the splitter but they can't pick up many of the rounds so I use the axaroon to get them up , the occasional stringy bits that need a little help the light ax size can get , it isn't much of a cutting tool.

I think if someone had a bunch of those tips laser cut they would be handy and replaceable if they were a bit longer and could be set in a handle with a pair of bolts to hold them in so that they could be easily replaced

might still not hold up at a mill , but could be very nice for fire wood

I may try and recreate it some day a friend has a knife forge and dose heat treating.

what do you use a the mill or does nothing hold up there ?

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7479156
01/30/22 08:47 PM
01/30/22 08:47 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
this is yesterdays load

probably need around 4-5 of these to heat for the year

not the biggest load but all that axle will hold I had to leave 5 of those large rounds to pick up next time because I was squatting the trailer too much.

[Linked Image]

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Northof50] #7479166
01/30/22 08:52 PM
01/30/22 08:52 PM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Originally Posted by Northof50
Scout1 tradition here is to get 18 year olds out for their first "bar" tour ( legal age). with splitting 8-10 full cords with a log splitter. ( the adults hide the water bottles,but keep hydrated) So after a couple of hours go to the bar. Years later those young lads always remind us of the experience and the shock experience they had,

My experience with Fiskars has always been good and so far have not needed a warranty on my several claims.

Mike in A-town gets it, and crossfire21 practices it, who needs a membership in a gym when doing that amount of workout yearly.

Always remember the phrase ;" many finger prints go into and onto the woodpile, only to be turned into ashes "

Like Button!

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7479179
01/30/22 09:04 PM
01/30/22 09:04 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
GCP we like the "Logrite Hookaroon" the blue ones, at the mill. 36 inch version. they come up to 4 foot long. Mill work is different than firewood, guys are pulling single 8 foot logs. They line up logs in stacks as the diameter sorter kicks them into bins. Also used to pull crooked or mis sized logs off the log deck. We break handles, and when a new guy has bad aim and hits pavement or steel with the tip, they break. But I regrind the tips. But still buy a dozen or more a year.

Last edited by Feedinggrounds; 01/30/22 09:10 PM.

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7479199
01/30/22 09:20 PM
01/30/22 09:20 PM
New York
Camohoyt340 Offline
trapper
Camohoyt340  Offline
trapper

New York
This is kind of an interesting topic to me. I’ve been splitting wood by hand for 3/4 of my life. I’ve used everything from fiskars splitting axes to monster mauls. When I was 12 my grandfather welded a steel pipe onto the maul (around here we call it a go-devil for some reason) because I broke too many wooden handles. I split for years with that maul. Then once I started using a wooden handle again, It was a dream. No more sore knuckles and hands. I’ve used those monster mauls also and just don’t like the steel hurting my joints. A splitting axe has its place and if you are splitting smaller wood or something like ash on a cold day, a splitting axe is the way to go. Nowadays my wood is all split with an 8lb maul. It’s a Collins axe splitting maul. It’s got the wedges on the side of the head. I’ll post a link to the one I have. I rarely break a handle so that’s not really an issue and the fiberglass is easy on the bones. I’m a fairly large guy and I tried switching to a 6lb maul thinking I’d be able to swing it faster. It didn’t feel right. I didn’t feel like I was getting a good enough hit on the wood. Some of the locust and maple around here is pretty knotty. I’d like to know the science behind this. How much faster do you have to swing a 6lb maul to equal the energy of an 8lb maul if all other variables are the same? I’m not scientist but I’d bet that you would not be able to swing that 6lber fast enough to equal the energy of the 8lber.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...3261264f4a0affdb45dc34e&gclsrc=3p.ds

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7479221
01/30/22 09:42 PM
01/30/22 09:42 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
GCP we like the "Logrite Hookaroon" the blue ones, at the mill. 36 inch version. they come up to 4 foot long. Mill work is different than firewood, guys are pulling single 8 foot logs. They line up logs in stacks as the diameter sorter kicks them into bins. Also used to pull crooked or mis sized logs off the log deck. We break handles, and when a new guy has bad aim and hits pavement or steel with the tip, they break. But I regrind the tips. But still buy a dozen or more a year.

that makes sense your trying to pull more than lift , no lifting an 8 footer one handed

the orange one I have is really only good in end grain.

thanks

Re: Splitting maul recomendations? [Re: Providence Farm] #7479766
01/31/22 12:50 PM
01/31/22 12:50 PM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR

Poor people have poor ways.