No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7481929
02/02/22 08:07 AM
02/02/22 08:07 AM
indiana
W
wamp Offline
trapper
wamp  Offline
trapper
W

indiana
what I seen as a law enforcement officer most parents want to be their child's best friend instead their parents.
Yes there is a difference between spanking and a beating and yes there are those with ADHD which have to be handled different.

I also believe if those I want to be your best friend parents had spent more time of being a parent there would be a lot less kids in trouble.

"Keep your traps free"
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: ~ADC~] #7481933
02/02/22 08:12 AM
02/02/22 08:12 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Ok, I've made my opinion clear. You all go ahead and beat your kids if you want to. Good night.

Problem is the rest of the world has to live with the monsters you raised.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7481951
02/02/22 08:24 AM
02/02/22 08:24 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Like I stated in my OP, I believe most of these ADHD diagnoses are hokum. I would like to meet some of these doctors. I'll bet most are quacks. I don't trust doctors much these days. Most are glorified drug dealers. They want to give you a pill for everything. Where was all of this ADHD back in the 70's and 80's when I was a kid growing up? There was no such thing. Your parents straightened you out. No pills, no drama, no problems. There are plenty of quack doctors out there today. Just look at all of this gender crap and the quacks that mutilate mentally ill people for a buck.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7481956
02/02/22 08:30 AM
02/02/22 08:30 AM
indiana
W
wamp Offline
trapper
wamp  Offline
trapper
W

indiana
Finster the parents have to be straightened out first

Last edited by wamp; 02/02/22 08:30 AM.

"Keep your traps free"
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7481964
02/02/22 08:35 AM
02/02/22 08:35 AM
SW WI
trapper20 Offline
trapper
trapper20  Offline
trapper

SW WI
Originally Posted by Finster
The above being said, I think my niece is a loving parent but has no real idea how to parent effectively.

there are a lot of parents that fall into this catagory. unfortunately all we do to fix the issue is give the kid a label and allow it

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7481979
02/02/22 08:58 AM
02/02/22 08:58 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
My Sister's first child was a boy who was perfect and never needed disciplined. Her second was a girl that had to have her fanny spanked to straighten her out. Every kid is different. I have a Grandson that won't behave and his parents give up on corporal punishment. They worst they can do to him is take away his electronic devices. He insists on being mean to his sisters, lies, etc. and nothing is his fault. He will probably be a computer genius one day though.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: J Staton] #7481981
02/02/22 09:00 AM
02/02/22 09:00 AM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
Originally Posted by J Staton
My stepson has ADHD. Spanking didn't work. Taking everything from his room except his bed didn't work, he would just sleep. Etc.,etc.
When he was about 14, him and his buddies got in what they thought was an abandoned mobile home. Kicked holes in the walls, broke windows, etc. When I found out about it from the sheriff's office, I had enough. I proceeded to grab him by the scruff of the shirt, place him with enough force against the wall to get his attention, then told him if it ever happens again I would be using my fist to correct the problem. That worked, never had anymore trouble of that sorts with him again.

There are rungs on the punishment ladder most parents don't even want to get hold of much less do it. You were forced by your child's misbehavior to do that. You reached your max level. Some children require higher levels of correction. I am sorry you had to go to that level but I am more glad it corrected your son. I can't imagine how you felt afterward.

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: trapper20] #7481985
02/02/22 09:03 AM
02/02/22 09:03 AM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
The above being said, I think my niece is a loving parent but has no real idea how to parent effectively.

It is so much easier to give the child a pill than it is to tell the parent to be a........... PARENT!!!!

The kids suffer even worse when going this route. It is like putting a band aid on something that needs stitches.

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: bowhunter27295] #7482097
02/02/22 10:15 AM
02/02/22 10:15 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by bowhunter27295

It is so much easier to give the child a pill than it is to tell the parent to be a........... PARENT!!!!

The kids suffer even worse when going this route. It is like putting a band aid on something that needs stitches.

Yup, I blame my sister. She was one of the "friend" parents that never disciplined her kids at all. Now, my niece doesn't have the skills or know how to really deal with misbehavior.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482099
02/02/22 10:16 AM
02/02/22 10:16 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
When all 6 of us boys would line up for a spanking my mom would use a ping pong paddle because her bare hand would wear out by the end. You wanted to jockey for a position closer to the end, when her arm was tired. Lol

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Trapset] #7482106
02/02/22 10:21 AM
02/02/22 10:21 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Trapset
When all 6 of us boys would line up for a spanking my mom would use a ping pong paddle because her bare hand would wear out by the end. You wanted to jockey for a position closer to the end, when her arm was tired. Lol

My mom used wooden spoons and could wield a yardstick like a Ninja warrior. She used to grab those paddle ball games off of us too. Soon as the rubber band that held the ball broke. wink

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: ~ADC~] #7482129
02/02/22 10:43 AM
02/02/22 10:43 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota

Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
Have you ever raised any animals ?
They snip their young when they need it .
Dogs , cats , rabbits , seen them all put their young in their place.

Animals lick their own butt too.

Ok, ok, I'm really done this time. grin

If you can do that ADC ....get it on video

Just don't post it here laugh

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Ohio Wolverine] #7482130
02/02/22 10:44 AM
02/02/22 10:44 AM
Northern Illinois
MuddyMike Offline
trapper
MuddyMike  Offline
trapper

Northern Illinois
Originally Posted by Ohio Wolverine
Originally Posted by Pawnee
I had 3 boys that needed a smack on the butt when they got out of line. The 4th had a good chance of being a nut case if I kept spanking him. Each kid is different. Adjust as needed is my opinion

I don't know either , I was the youngest of 5 boys , 3 older sisters and two younger sisters .
Trust me I was beat up often by older brothers .
I became a loner , did things without my brothers .
Hunted and trapped , until they became interested in what I was doing .
Taught them what I knew , and was never told thank you .
But when hunting they always asked me for advice .
It doesn't matter , as I had my butt spanked by more than my parents .
Strange I didn't ever think about killing anyone but my brothers when I was little .
Never wanted to kill anyone and even though I've killed my pet rabbits, chickens , cows for dinner , and hunted before my brothers did .
Killed thousands of animals , never had a thought of killing or disrespecting others !
Never was mean to animals or children , but did spank them when needed while young .
Only God knows why .
There's plenty of humans ( civilized ) that lick each others butts , and would their own if they could !

Bahahaha and that last line right there is why its such a big deal to double dip a chip at a party lol sorry couldnt resist

as with the spanking i wasnt just spanked i was beat as a child and spanked back handed across the mouth slapped punched and well i didnt turn out too bad. now i have spanked my kids when it is warrented. they have not been beaten but a good smack arcoss the rear really got their attention. now i have a 14 13 and 11 year old that listen and know what the look is and they best start acting right. my kids will all tell you they only get a spanking if they really deserved it because of their behavior. all 3 are a b students and play multiple sports and have no social issues. they will also be the first kids to call out the bad behavior of another child and say dang if we acted like that we'd get a whoopin so they have learned that its better to just behave. i do not like hitting or punching but a solid smack on the rear works wonders.

i was diagnosed with ADD and ADHD at 12 years old by a doctor. i think i was just a wild boy that needed to be put in check. i can say looking back that 95% of the whoopins i got i (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) sure deserved i thought i was the man of the house when my dad left when i was 12. coincedence that dad left at 12 then i get diagnosed at 12 with add adhd????? could be but i think i thought i could do what i wanted since i was now the man of the house even though i had no idea how to act like a real man at that age.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: ~ADC~] #7482200
02/02/22 11:52 AM
02/02/22 11:52 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I like to think I'm enough smarter than a child that I can find a way to make them behave without hitting them.

I think that's a good philosophy and one I've tried to live by. It is absolutely imperative that a parent DISCIPLINE their children - especially their fathers. Corporal punishment may be the most brutish way of doing that. But it IS one way. It's is much better to employ corporal punishment as a means of disciplining a child than providing no discipline at all. But overall, I think more gentle means of correction are generally more effective.

I notice a big difference in the way my sons react to me and my wife. When they were little, I gave them much more sever punishment for disobedience or disrespect. I gave spankings on occassion but more often it was lots of pushups or hard physical labor - even for a grade school kid. My wife, by contrast, tended to yell and impose much less severe punishment. I'm not sure she ever spanked them hard enough to really make it hurt.

Now that the boys are junior high age, I notice a big difference in how they respond to their mother vs. how they respond to me. My wife can tell the boys to do something and nag and holler at them and they practically ignore her. But if I step up and gently whisper to them that they had better obey their mother... man they snap into action RIGHT NOW. I've tried in the past to discipline them for not obeying their mother but that never really took effect. They just never learned to fear her. Now my boys are so easy for me to get along with. I never have to raise my voice to them or worry about them not doing what I say. I can be so much more gentle with them now and I think they are more willing to listen to my words of advice because I don't need to yell at them and scold them. I can talk to them and show respect to them as young men because I taught them to fear me when they were little. It's such a joy to be their father.

I'm not saying I'm a great father or that I have the answers. One thing I know for sure is that kids are all different. But in my limited experience, demanding that they behave when they are little will make life much easier when they get older.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482216
02/02/22 12:11 PM
02/02/22 12:11 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Haven't read the whole thread but results speak louder than ideas. Look at today's generations and the generations that we call America's greatest generation. Then compare the likelihood of getting your but whooped for each generation. Results seem clear

Last edited by Yes sir; 02/02/22 12:11 PM.
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482223
02/02/22 12:20 PM
02/02/22 12:20 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
If you don’t discipline your children and teach them respect when they’re young, don’t expect to be able to do it when they can’t make it in life and return home to live with you. Think you’ll get respect then? Yeah, ok 🤣 . My house, my rules, I’m paying the cost to be the boss, and I’m allot bigger than you are. 👍

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482241
02/02/22 12:40 PM
02/02/22 12:40 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Very good philosophy.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482358
02/02/22 02:33 PM
02/02/22 02:33 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Corporal punishment when they are young
Less needed as they mature
They'll be your friend as they age.

Otherwise the law will have to do what the parents didn't WANT to do

My stance

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482414
02/02/22 03:27 PM
02/02/22 03:27 PM
Missouri
riverbank Offline
trapper
riverbank  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Seems to be pretty simple. Discipline a child in the way that it works best for them. I don't think that anybody on here wants to beat their children. Some need spanked, others just need you to raise your voice and they start crying. I'm sure that some would disapprove of me smacking my 1 year old's hands away from things that he shouldn't be in and call me abusive. Regardless, I won't let a child rule my house or go crazy in it. I remember as a child that both of my brothers were slow learners. They liked getting a belt taken to them and eating soap apparently. I didn't care for either. I got spanked one time and had soap in my mouth one time. Not a fan of the feel of leather slapping me or the taste of irish spring. Funny thing is, all 3 of us have done well for ourselves and have no hurt feelings from being disciplined. How strange.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482495
02/02/22 04:56 PM
02/02/22 04:56 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Finster--Do you have any kids?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread