No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
storm predictions and people panic #7481842
02/02/22 06:26 AM
02/02/22 06:26 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline OP
trapper
west river rogue  Offline OP
trapper

Warm today 40"s predicting drop and 7-9 inches of snow here. So what. I was in store yesterday to get hound food where my friend works and bread shelves were picked clean etc. He said the day before they were swamped. School was called off for what might be,and its a day away yet. Its really a different world nowadays. When I was a kid we lived in the snow,,we built snow forts and igloos etc. Our parents had to drag us in to avoid frostbite. School was in session for all but the very worst weather. Its such a pampered world.

Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: west river rogue] #7481846
02/02/22 06:39 AM
02/02/22 06:39 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Yep 67 blizzard, we was holed up for days. We had snow forts tunnels. Mom and grandma never worried about food. Grandma was next door, she baked bread every Wed. as thu. was bean soup day. Days off school. We worked all day sculpting our sledding hill, carried water from the creek to ice the berms and jumps. Let it freeze overnight. That night we waxed the runners on our Flexible Flyer sleds for the next day's events! When we came inside at dark, after supper kids were so tired, falling asleep was no problem.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7481855
02/02/22 06:45 AM
02/02/22 06:45 AM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Yep 67 blizzard, we was holed up for days. We had snow forts tunnels. Mom and grandma never worried about food. Grandma was next door, she baked bread every Wed. as thu. was bean soup day. Days off school. We worked all day sculpting our sledding hill, carried water from the creek to ice the berms and jumps. Let it freeze overnight. That night we waxed the runners on our Flexible Flyer sleds for the next day's events! When we came inside at dark, after supper kids were so tired, falling asleep was no problem.

Guy told me last week the old flexible flyers are worth like 200 bucks now,lol. Shoulda stocked up.

Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: west river rogue] #7481879
02/02/22 07:04 AM
02/02/22 07:04 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by west river rogue
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds

Guy told me last week the old flexible flyers are worth like 200 bucks now,lol. Shoulda stocked up.

Things caused a lot of stitches if you got in the way of one.... So bad they started putting metal chrome bumpers on the front. So instead of stitches they just knocked your teeth out. Ungodly fast on an iced slope. Those aluminum saucers were un steerable death traps also! Then we discovered an old truck hood to ride for mass suicide runs! Our biggest hill ended in a cattail swamp, pretty good for a controlled soft stop. We were covered with the fuzz!

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: west river rogue] #7481899
02/02/22 07:32 AM
02/02/22 07:32 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
looks like they are still available. dont get snow here anymore though.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Flyer-Runner-Steering-Slider/dp/B0000AQJQR?th=1

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: west river rogue] #7481905
02/02/22 07:41 AM
02/02/22 07:41 AM
trapper
trapper

ebay has big assortment.

Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: west river rogue] #7482111
02/02/22 10:27 AM
02/02/22 10:27 AM
Illinois
B
Big Possum Offline
trapper
Big Possum  Offline
trapper
B

Illinois
Have one flexible flyer and an assortment of plastic sleds. The flyer is most popular with grandkids because it’s the fastest and goes the furthest of all of them. Have a plastic saucer sled that is worthless compared to the old metal one.

If it ain't grinnin I ain't skinnin
Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: west river rogue] #7482117
02/02/22 10:35 AM
02/02/22 10:35 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by west river rogue
Warm today 40"s predicting drop and 7-9 inches of snow here. So what. I was in store yesterday to get hound food where my friend works and bread shelves were picked clean etc. He said the day before they were swamped. School was called off for what might be,and its a day away yet. Its really a different world nowadays. When I was a kid we lived in the snow,,we built snow forts and igloos etc. Our parents had to drag us in to avoid frostbite. School was in session for all but the very worst weather. Its such a pampered world.

Yes it is

We rarely got snow days from school

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: west river rogue] #7482155
02/02/22 11:00 AM
02/02/22 11:00 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
[Linked Image]

Eh...wot?

Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: west river rogue] #7482175
02/02/22 11:18 AM
02/02/22 11:18 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
When I used to work for my dad, he would tell all the employees "you know there is snow forecast for tomorrow. It may take you longer to travel to work. You might need to shovel your driveway before you can make out to the road. But work is important. So set your alarm clock earlier for tomorrow and get an early start so you can be sure to make into work on time". That's the work ethic I grew up with. I guess he was from a tougher generation.

Now my employer is telling the company that you can come to work if want to, but if you don't feel like you can make it in - no problem, you can have the day off and either use a vacation day or have unpaid time off. For us office staff, we can take our laptops home and just work from home if we don't want to come in to work.

How times have changed. We're a bunch of weenies any more.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: storm predictions and people panic [Re: west river rogue] #7482185
02/02/22 11:38 AM
02/02/22 11:38 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
There are like 7-8 times more vechilies on the road now then when I started driving legally! smile

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread