No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
trapping books #7488821
02/08/22 02:20 AM
02/08/22 02:20 AM
north Idaho
decoy Offline OP
trapper
decoy  Offline OP
trapper

north Idaho
Is there a book with prices on book and trapping magazines ? Kinda like coins, stamps and cars?

Hunt with your Kids, not for them.
>>>----->

Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7488824
02/08/22 02:41 AM
02/08/22 02:41 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Mean like a blue book for trapping literature ? Idk but Henpecked would probably know

Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7488827
02/08/22 02:52 AM
02/08/22 02:52 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
Not that I know of. Trap collector guides sometimes mention a few books.

To compile such a book would be a major undertaking. So many different magazines and books. And some books have ,multiple editions. Would be an undertaking for a young person.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7488972
02/08/22 09:19 AM
02/08/22 09:19 AM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
No there is no book, and yes it would be a major undertaking. I will get some push back here but I will give you a few rules to follow.

1) Let the buyer beware
2) Common used books which are still in print at your favorite supply house trade at 30 to 60 cents on the dollar; except first editions and autographed copies
3) Very few of the rare book trade because collectors do not want to part with their material: so they do not come on the market very often
4) Most hard to come buy paper is printed pre 1970
5) In my opinion the best material self published, very few copies were printed and did not circulate
6) What will the market bear: if I could ever find ART CRANES fox BOOK; that would be very expensive: John Ehn material is very expensive, Wild Bill Jarowski another one, all this material can get very expensive.an autographed book from Dailey to Dick Woods, very expensive.
7) FFG from 1950 to present is very common, 40 is harder as the war years show a smaller circulation and paper restrictions, the 30s was the depression years smaller circulation, the 20s they ware very rare also.
8) HTT, MID 20s to the 30s very common and trade from 10 to 30 depending on condition, pre 1920 can get pricey, pre 1910 is expensive
9) Smaller original publications like Western trapper and original trappers world can get pricey based on condition; some of the ones you never heard of can get very expensive
10) The original Mid West Trapper was a 4 page handout at the NTA, i have handled two copies. if you were not at the convention you did not get one.
11) Different aurthors, MAST EHN KEITH CRANE RANDALL it all depends on what popular
12) There is less and less paper every year as collectors pass on and their collection go into the trash as their family members do not know the value.

In lite of that you can bracket material 10, 20, 30 40, 50 then the 50 to 100 then 100 to 500, I do not see much above 500. The last Hawbaker Trapping an d Trailing traded around 500 plus. This site has some excellent traders and dealers, i have dealt with most, very honest and very fair in pricing, mink I love and red raider are excellent to work with and know the market.

I keep well over 5K $ in paper within reach on my shelves. I bought out Ed Myers 20 years ago, bought and sold to Al Crickey (spelling), documented and photographed NATCA paper collection(50% done) I have to return and see Tom.

The best and very rarest paper still is in the hands of the great trappers and their families. I would love to look through OGormans or Carmens Library. Big dealers like Keith Winkler no doubt have impressive collections.

I collect by the trapper, but also remember that early trappers had very poor educations, and Dick Woods, Dailey, Spears were all ghost writers also, Printing was expensive and photography was expensive also. There are also ghost writers today, they write their own articles and noy one reads them because they are not big lure dealers: they write for a big trapper and the article is a great hit.

As for me I collect paper, go trapping and spend time with the old guys as their stories and life experience are priceless, I do not sell bait or lure. I talk to trappers like Mike Laughlin, took lessons from John Magel, Trapped with Al Perry and Brad Rendell, spent time with Jake Korrell. I trapped 19 years in AZ and NM. I now trap back east. Join NATCA and learn history. Go meet the old guys, I remember meeting Charlie Dobbins who was with Mike Stechnicki, I watched Johnny Thorpe in beaver skinning contest, meet Josh Phenix, Paul Grimshaw, say hi to Jim and Judy Comstock every year. Talk to Keith Winkler and Tom Parr as much as possible; same with Jeff Dunlap.

Go make some memories they are priceless.

I hoped this helped some.

Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7489052
02/08/22 10:48 AM
02/08/22 10:48 AM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
Thanks for this very interesting.

Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7489408
02/08/22 05:25 PM
02/08/22 05:25 PM
Colesburg, Iowa 52035
M
MINK I LOVE Offline
trapper
MINK I LOVE  Offline
trapper
M

Colesburg, Iowa 52035
Outstanding info James. Thanks for your input!

Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7489422
02/08/22 05:51 PM
02/08/22 05:51 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
Henpecked1. Outstanding post!! Thank you for taking the time to write it!!

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7489554
02/08/22 07:48 PM
02/08/22 07:48 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister

Central Pennsylvania
Good post Henpecked, you should write a book.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7489964
02/09/22 09:00 AM
02/09/22 09:00 AM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
Thanks for the kind words: for you that want to start collecting collect what you like.

1) Collect catalogs: Hawbaker, Dailey, Butcher, Howe, FC Taylor all make fantastic collections, the thing about catalogs is the document the evolution of traps and trapping products.
2) Collect FFG or HTT by year,, theyhave great covers, fantastic reading and they document the evolution of trappers, methods, books and traps
3) Collect books by subject or aurthor: Carmen Grawes Leggets Dobbins and Hawbakers all make great coolections: subject like coyote trapping will show the evolution of methodology and east vs west, govt methods vs commercial
4) Collect DVDs or old tapes: lots of great information here
5) you can always specialize in rare material, first editions, autographs, letters and advertizements
6)Collect magazines by the written author, Butcher wrote very few articles, thorpe wrote very few early articles, OGorman started writing in the early 70s for Voice of the trapper, try to find Russ Carmens early writing in FFG.
7) Go to NATCA museum and see the paper there do you know we found 5 different editions of John Ehns material, try to locate one let alone 5 different version
8) Collect by the greats of east vs west in trapping methods, MAST and Ehn vs Dailey Butcher & Hawbaker
9) Harding Hard cover classics

There is alot of opportunity here and tremendous insight in original thought on methods.

Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7490195
02/09/22 01:31 PM
02/09/22 01:31 PM
Nevada
Bryce Traps Offline
trapper
Bryce Traps  Offline
trapper

Nevada
The Western Montana Fur Supply store in Anaconda, MT has a lot of old style trapping books and cool trinkets.

Just an 18 year old trapper trying to learn...
Re: trapping books [Re: decoy] #7490852
02/10/22 04:33 AM
02/10/22 04:33 AM
north Idaho
decoy Offline OP
trapper
decoy  Offline OP
trapper

north Idaho
Thanks for all the info.

I have a bunch of trapping books, magazines, etc. but do not have a clue how to sell them or ship them. I had my son go to my storage where I keep them and brought them to me so I could put dates, etc. together and mark what I have. Still not done but have a lot gone through. Sure have been having trouble looking at my treasures I have kept but have to part with them, cancer and old age sucks.

Hunt with your Kids, not for them.
>>>----->

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread