No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Deer hunters #7494077
02/12/22 09:51 PM
02/12/22 09:51 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
How many of you have ever targeted a specific mature buck. Now I'm not talking the nice 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer that you had 50 pictures of in the bean field by your house that you shot from your favorite stand that you've hunted for 20 years. I'm talking a 4 1/2 year old or older buck that has survived in an area where every place gets hunted, several guides in the area and he rarely has been seen. Have you guys ever hunted and patterned a specific buck like this? I've never really targeted a specific buck. Usually just shoot first mature buck that I get a crack at. Last few years we've just hung cameras in September seen what was out there and hoped one of the nicer ones comes our way. I've hunted for over 30 years and figure I'm above par at picking good stand locations and hunting without pressuring the deer and have been rewarded with some decent bucks. We've found a buck that is worth a little more than normal attention. Don't think many have seen him and other than mine i only know of him showing up on other cameras a couple times. The property i can hunt him on is pretty good size, has good cover, good deer #s and is a mixture of wooded creek bottom and some wooded pasture. In years past (like 5 years ago and previous) this property got hunted fairly hard and cows get moved into the pasture around first of November. Place still has fair amount of human activity thought the year but hunting pressure has declined to primarily just my boys and I. With all this said the mature bucks can be hard to come by in shooting hours come November at this place and because of this the last couple year we don't hunt it much. I'm thinking pre November is maybe our best opportunity to kill him for several reasons. One being its before the cows get put there and still a lot of cover and not as much human activity. Second seems once does start coming in heat around here there's about a 2 week period where it seems the mature bucks are locked down with does and it a complete crap shoot as to where a specific buck will be. We can start hunting first week of September thru end of December. I just learned of this buck late last fall so don't have much history with him before the first of the year. Any pointers or thoughts on patterning a specific buck for early fall hunting? When do you think they are most pattern able and most active during shooting hours. Got 7 cameras out and plan to keep them going all year. There will be beans and corn planted on the farm ground and most all the farm ground around it.

Last edited by Yes sir; 02/12/22 09:57 PM.
Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494088
02/12/22 10:00 PM
02/12/22 10:00 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Have always hunted for first buck I see here in Maine.Other states I might get more picky hunting another state with more deer then Maine.I shoot them large and small.Which tickles my fancy at the time.I have never hunted for just one deer.

Nevada bound
Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494095
02/12/22 10:05 PM
02/12/22 10:05 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Opening day to Pre rut is when they seem to be most vulnerable to patterning.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494184
02/12/22 11:06 PM
02/12/22 11:06 PM
NE KS
B
bowhunterks Offline
trapper
bowhunterks  Offline
trapper
B

NE KS
I have never targeted a specific buck I cant pass up a opportunity on a good shot at a decent buck. What I have seen on the property i hunt is the deer are most pattern able in last couple hours of shooting light up to the first part of October. I normally dont start bowhunting until mid October this year I'm going to try to start in September.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494188
02/12/22 11:07 PM
02/12/22 11:07 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Halloween is the magical week ! On their feet in daylight then more than ever . Don’t mean yours will be ! I had 4 dandies on my farm but no daylight pics on cam Had 150 in 11 pt in the field at 75 yards week before rifle season and that’s the only daylight sighting period . 3 of the 4 are back on cam but all are busted up

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494210
02/12/22 11:20 PM
02/12/22 11:20 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Hunted one buck for 5 years wanted him gone genetically. Shot him at 7 1/2. Hunted a 6 1/2 the last two years nephew shot him Early November this year. Others as well. Some deer are simply hard to kill. Some cannot be killed. Deer do die of old age. Seen video of the world record typical only one video of him , no pictures, and no else ever spoke of seeing him. Are you talking rifle only, archery or?

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494219
02/12/22 11:23 PM
02/12/22 11:23 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
I always have that ONE buck I'm waiting for. This was my 3rd year chasing a phantom.
My best trick didn't work on him, yet.
Watch the fawn drop. Look for the earliest drop, they are most often mature does.
Pattern that doe and hunt in her area early. When you see that early rut activitie, these does are the ones who make that bucks put down that early sign.
Just my observations.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494221
02/12/22 11:24 PM
02/12/22 11:24 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
Rifle during youth season first part of Sept then archery right after youth season till end of November then 10 days of rifle. Finish December with archery.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494238
02/12/22 11:36 PM
02/12/22 11:36 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Kansas and WI are different land wise. But we "my family" find the first two weeks of season when on summer food sources most pattern-able. Then it's rut end of October to November 12ish, then post rut. Post I find easier to kill mature bucks, on their feet looking for left over does. Late season food, food, food sources, safe secure food sources.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494243
02/12/22 11:42 PM
02/12/22 11:42 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I have never tried it. I have not shot a deer in a few years I spend b all my time taking my boys. They are 11 and 9 and both have started letting a few deer walk but still like to shoot most that walk in . I that them on pressured public ground a lot so they have to work for them a bit. They pick their spots now to. They each shot 3 doe this last year. I have a feeling within the next few years they will get more selective. The 9 year old has killed 9 deer and the 11 year old 11 so far.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494286
02/13/22 12:07 AM
02/13/22 12:07 AM
Over there.
F
Flicker Shad Offline
trapper
Flicker Shad  Offline
trapper
F

Over there.
First day of the season is the first best chance. They don't know they're being hunted yet. Once the pressure starts, it gets tougher. Once the rut starts, they might stay around or may be miles away. Cameras lead to pressure. I don't like em.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494307
02/13/22 12:34 AM
02/13/22 12:34 AM
SE Missouri.
P
Pirogue Offline
trapper
Pirogue  Offline
trapper
P

SE Missouri.
Originally Posted by Yes sir
How many of you have ever targeted a specific mature buck. Now I'm not talking the nice 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer that you had 50 pictures of in the bean field by your house that you shot from your favorite stand that you've hunted for 20 years. I'm talking a 4 1/2 year old or older buck that has survived in an area where every place gets hunted, several guides in the area and he rarely has been seen. Have you guys ever hunted and patterned a specific buck like this? I've never really targeted a specific buck. Usually just shoot first mature buck that I get a crack at. Last few years we've just hung cameras in September seen what was out there and hoped one of the nicer ones comes our way. I've hunted for over 30 years and figure I'm above par at picking good stand locations and hunting without pressuring the deer and have been rewarded with some decent bucks. We've found a buck that is worth a little more than normal attention. Don't think many have seen him and other than mine i only know of him showing up on other cameras a couple times. The property i can hunt him on is pretty good size, has good cover, good deer #s and is a mixture of wooded creek bottom and some wooded pasture. In years past (like 5 years ago and previous) this property got hunted fairly hard and cows get moved into the pasture around first of November. Place still has fair amount of human activity thought the year but hunting pressure has declined to primarily just my boys and I. With all this said the mature bucks can be hard to come by in shooting hours come November at this place and because of this the last couple year we don't hunt it much. I'm thinking pre November is maybe our best opportunity to kill him for several reasons. One being its before the cows get put there and still a lot of cover and not as much human activity. Second seems once does start coming in heat around here there's about a 2 week period where it seems the mature bucks are locked down with does and it a complete crap shoot as to where a specific buck will be. We can start hunting first week of September thru end of December. I just learned of this buck late last fall so don't have much history with him before the first of the year. Any pointers or thoughts on patterning a specific buck for early fall hunting? When do you think they are most pattern able and most active during shooting hours. Got 7 cameras out and plan to keep them going all year. There will be beans and corn planted on the farm ground and most all the farm ground around it.

What do u want ??

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494308
02/13/22 12:38 AM
02/13/22 12:38 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
Advise. You have any?

Last edited by Yes sir; 02/13/22 12:38 AM.
Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494329
02/13/22 01:43 AM
02/13/22 01:43 AM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
I spent most of my time after for about 5 yrs. after the "grey ghost" I did find his skeleton after he died of natural causes. (best we could tell anyway) I swore then I would never do it again and haven't.

So my advice, don't do it. Hunt your best spots and take whichever deer you can get a good shot at. After you fill your freezer ya might want to get after a specific deer. This way ya won't waste so much of your time.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494338
02/13/22 02:02 AM
02/13/22 02:02 AM
Montana
D
Deerkiller Offline
trapper
Deerkiller  Offline
trapper
D

Montana
I hunt public land up until this year I shot the first legal deer I seen. This year I passed on a lot of deer. Ended up killing a nice 10 point. I never put out camera or anything just go sit on side of mountain and find the one I want.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494381
02/13/22 06:40 AM
02/13/22 06:40 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Those bucks get big by being nocturnal. Will be a few days during rut when it may move around during shooting hours.

Look for sign. Try to figure out where its bedded. It may just be a small weed patch in the middle of of a wide open cut bean field. Deer can see anything coming and rarely gets disturbed doing that. If thats the case have the shooter approach to about 3-400 yards. Get set up. An assistant approach from the side and keep moving in. Shooter needs to watch. He will get about two seconds when the deer stands up before it beaks and runs. If your lucky you may see it before it stands up.

If bedded down in timber wait for about a 25mph wind if you can. Walk in with the wind in your face. Shouldnt move more than about 100 yards an hour. Take a step or two and stop. Remain still. Have a good look around. Move when the wind is gusting.

P.S. if you bust it, the deer wont move to Oklahoma. It wont use that patch of weeds again for a awhile but it will be around. You will just have to find it again.

For your son in a wheel chair a thermal scope would work. To bad its illegal. Might be the only way.

Last edited by danny clifton; 02/13/22 06:44 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Deer hunters [Re: danny clifton] #7494489
02/13/22 09:34 AM
02/13/22 09:34 AM
Over there.
F
Flicker Shad Offline
trapper
Flicker Shad  Offline
trapper
F

Over there.
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Those bucks get big by being nocturnal. Will be a few days during rut when it may move around during shooting hours.

Look for sign. Try to figure out where its bedded. It may just be a small weed patch in the middle of of a wide open cut bean field. Deer can see anything coming and rarely gets disturbed doing that. If thats the case have the shooter approach to about 3-400 yards. Get set up. An assistant approach from the side and keep moving in. Shooter needs to watch. He will get about two seconds when the deer stands up before it beaks and runs. If your lucky you may see it before it stands up.

If bedded down in timber wait for about a 25mph wind if you can. Walk in with the wind in your face. Shouldnt move more than about 100 yards an hour. Take a step or two and stop. Remain still. Have a good look around. Move when the wind is gusting.

P.S. if you bust it, the deer wont move to Oklahoma. It wont use that patch of weeds again for a awhile but it will be around. You will just have to find it again.

For your son in a wheel chair a thermal scope would work. To bad its illegal. Might be the only way.

Deer eat and are on their feet 5 times a day. They don't go completely nocturnal. A guy just needs to get close enough to get a shot in that deers day light comfort range.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494514
02/13/22 09:53 AM
02/13/22 09:53 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Yep. Thats what the magazines all say.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Deer hunters [Re: danny clifton] #7494521
02/13/22 09:59 AM
02/13/22 09:59 AM
Over there.
F
Flicker Shad Offline
trapper
Flicker Shad  Offline
trapper
F

Over there.
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Yep. Thats what the magazines all say.

Lol, just the opposite.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Yes sir] #7494546
02/13/22 10:13 AM
02/13/22 10:13 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
From my experience finding their core bedding area after the bachelor groups break up would be key to giving yourself the highest chance at harvesting a deer like this. If his little hiding spot isnt on the property i can hunt it would lower our already low odds of taking him drastically. I do believe every deer gets on there feet and moves around some during the day. They may stay in a 50 foot radius area or 5 acre area. But they do get up and go to the bathroom, stretch their legs and maybe browse a bit.

Last edited by Yes sir; 02/13/22 10:18 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread