No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7496633
02/15/22 12:12 AM
02/15/22 12:12 AM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Be nice work cpl more weeks an go beaver trap for cpl weeks an start a new job or be done, unfortunately we'll always need money, it just sucks when ruin ur day in morning an work death , ya full time somewhere at decent job like mention many times be way go, not going get much ins or deal on it when pt , nothing like this an docter appt come up an going be make more as time start look more Health if wanna live be older

Last edited by coonman220; 02/15/22 12:16 AM.
Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7496651
02/15/22 01:02 AM
02/15/22 01:02 AM
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Originally Posted by coonman220
They have to know who there hire is going quit , they get charge $70 for time cards an other junk they give u if quit an not return , scam ? I don't get it , how could they afford live ? If I didn't need the money , long gone , at 62, if there, won't be long,

Dave...STOP, please. You are the only person I can ever recall that has lasted as long as you have at part time job and then continually gripes about it. You've posted this same kind of rhetoric more times than most of us care to remember and it always winds its way back to you thinking the place (where you freely chose to stay at as a PART TIME employee) is some kind of a dump or "dreaded hole in ground". You are the one making the choice to stay at these part time jobs that you hate. So stop complaining about the situation you have put yourself in.

Think about it....who are the smart ones, the people that hire on as a part time worker, then move on after a short period of time? Or, is it the person who choses to stay as a P/T worker for life then gripes about it?

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7496653
02/15/22 01:10 AM
02/15/22 01:10 AM
iowa
bankrunner Offline
trapper
bankrunner  Offline
trapper

iowa

The temp agency that pays you gets paid by your workplace. If you get $15, they are getting paid $20 or more per hour from your boss. That is how the temp agency works as my wife hires them from Sedona when they get swamped. They are contracted for certain number of hours and can't hire that person fulltime until after 500 hours if they are a good worker. After 4 years, why don't your company hire you fulltime at $17 and save money??????

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7496674
02/15/22 03:14 AM
02/15/22 03:14 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
Dave, The temp agency is making at least $5/hr from the company you work at.

You say you make $15/hr. At a bare minimum they are paying the temp agency $20/hr. Probably closer to $21-$23/hr.

Companies do this because
1) they only have to submit your hours worked to the temp agency. The temp agency does the figuring out of your wages.
2) the company in a lot of instances is not responsible for any workmans comp insurance. That is on the temp agency to pay for that.
3) The company has very little to do with the hiring process. They lose someone, they just call the agency to send someone new.
4) generally speaking working through a temp agency you can't collect unemployment. So there's another insurance/tax they don't have to pay out.

You said something about time cards costing $70. Those cards at most cost $10 including the programming of them if they're electronic.

I'm not sure about temp agencies in Iowa, but here most places that hire people through them use them as a probationary period before seeing if they want to hire them on to the actual company. Generally it's about 90 days. The one company I worked at would usually review temp employees at 30-60- and then at 90 days. The 30-60 day reviews they would tell the temp what they needed to work on to be hired on. They would then at 90 days decide if they wanted to keep them a temp for a little longer, hire them on, or get rid of them.

Same goes for the temps. People will go through them to learn their options. They'll go to a place and decide after a week or so they don't want to work at the company, and they'll ask the agency to send them somewhere else. The older people get the more they use that option.

Some use temp agencies to find them a job knowing full well they're only going to be there long enough to get enough money for their next couple fixes. The companies know this. It's no skin off their backs. All they have to do is call and get a new temp sent over.

Also people on SSI/SSA/SSD use them because it's much easier to pick what hours or shifts you want to work. The temp agency tells the company "Hey I got Joe here. He can only work 7 am - 11 am these days." The company then says ok or no depending on their needs.

I worked at a hunting lodge through a temp agency. I asked the guy out of curiosity one day what he paid the temp agency for me to work there. He said he paid $15/hr for me. I only made $10/hr from the agency. I asked him why. He said all I have to do is sign your time slip and fax it over. They do everything else. He's the one that told me he doesn't have to pay the workmans comp insurance. He didn't need to hire an accountant to do payroll, or end of year tax forms. All that was handled by the agency. He said he figured with the 10 employees he had there it saved him about $20,000 - $30,000 a year in insurance and other fees even having to pay an extra $5/hr/employee.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7496698
02/15/22 06:45 AM
02/15/22 06:45 AM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Very good information here that I never knew about Temp Services. It seems to me they arent making a lot after paying all they are involved with paying. Workmens comp for me was 50 percent back in the day.

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: elkaholic] #7496872
02/15/22 10:04 AM
02/15/22 10:04 AM
iowa
bankrunner Offline
trapper
bankrunner  Offline
trapper

iowa
Originally Posted by elkaholic
Dave, The temp agency is making at least $5/hr from the company you work at.

You say you make $15/hr. At a bare minimum they are paying the temp agency $20/hr. Probably closer to $21-$23/hr.

Companies do this because
1) they only have to submit your hours worked to the temp agency. The temp agency does the figuring out of your wages.
2) the company in a lot of instances is not responsible for any workmans comp insurance. That is on the temp agency to pay for that.
3) The company has very little to do with the hiring process. They lose someone, they just call the agency to send someone new.
4) generally speaking working through a temp agency you can't collect unemployment. So there's another insurance/tax they don't have to pay out.

You said something about time cards costing $70. Those cards at most cost $10 including the programming of them if they're electronic.

I'm not sure about temp agencies in Iowa, but here most places that hire people through them use them as a probationary period before seeing if they want to hire them on to the actual company. Generally it's about 90 days. The one company I worked at would usually review temp employees at 30-60- and then at 90 days. The 30-60 day reviews they would tell the temp what they needed to work on to be hired on. They would then at 90 days decide if they wanted to keep them a temp for a little longer, hire them on, or get rid of them.

Same goes for the temps. People will go through them to learn their options. They'll go to a place and decide after a week or so they don't want to work at the company, and they'll ask the agency to send them somewhere else. The older people get the more they use that option.

Some use temp agencies to find them a job knowing full well they're only going to be there long enough to get enough money for their next couple fixes. The companies know this. It's no skin off their backs. All they have to do is call and get a new temp sent over.

Also people on SSI/SSA/SSD use them because it's much easier to pick what hours or shifts you want to work. The temp agency tells the company "Hey I got Joe here. He can only work 7 am - 11 am these days." The company then says ok or no depending on their needs.

I worked at a hunting lodge through a temp agency. I asked the guy out of curiosity one day what he paid the temp agency for me to work there. He said he paid $15/hr for me. I only made $10/hr from the agency. I asked him why. He said all I have to do is sign your time slip and fax it over. They do everything else. He's the one that told me he doesn't have to pay the workmans comp insurance. He didn't need to hire an accountant to do payroll, or end of year tax forms. All that was handled by the agency. He said he figured with the 10 employees he had there it saved him about $20,000 - $30,000 a year in insurance and other fees even having to pay an extra $5/hr/employee.

Another reason they go with temp agency is, if the worker is lazy or any other reason. Your boss tells temp agency that worker never comes back to this job. Don't even have to fire anyone. The one I know about in Iowa, you cannot hire them at all until the contract with the temp agency is up. That one was 500 hours, no time limit.

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: run] #7497038
02/15/22 12:15 PM
02/15/22 12:15 PM
Pottsboro TX Grayson county
J
Jiggamitch Offline
trapper
Jiggamitch  Offline
trapper
J

Originally Posted by run
Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
We have been hiring every reject in the area recently. They took the testing requirements out of the hiring process, and it definitely shows. The new hires just want to sit in a chair and they all come in 30 minutes late. Our newest 24 year old female employee keeps peeing herself. I mean she's leaving puddles in the chairs!

You need some chamber pots.

All the flat surfaces in the building have holes in them to allow down flow of air. If she goes on the floor it will just go downstairs to the chem floor. Much rather her do that instead of the chair puddles....or open chamber pots.

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: yotetrapper30] #7497048
02/15/22 12:21 PM
02/15/22 12:21 PM
J
Jiggamitch Offline
trapper
Jiggamitch  Offline
trapper
J

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
I work at texas instruments in a clean room facility. I am responsible for the workers in my area. I have to call a hazmat team every time. Upper management won't do anything because it's a possible medical issue.

Not sure what a clean room facility is but it sounds like yours isn't very clean lol.

It's a windowless building with massive machines running 24/7. We wear full body suits to contain hair and particles of skin. The suits are not waterproof tho.

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: lumberjack391] #7497196
02/15/22 02:59 PM
02/15/22 02:59 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Originally Posted by lumberjack391
Very good information here that I never knew about Temp Services. It seems to me they arent making a lot after paying all they are involved with paying. Workmens comp for me was 50 percent back in the day.
I have hard time belive the temp place is get $21 hr, if so, there not make much money u say ? Correction, there make all money an do next to just about nothing for it, I am make squat, about $12 bucks hr after tax an gas get work, I never had injury at work report ,
, Went docter twice an I pay for it an I know it was from work , noway to prove, u got have blood , I been told for proof, temp agency , I have not talk them in months except a cpl weeks ago when miss 3 day work from sick , they don't do nothing except sit chair an collect the big bucks an let worker earn it, they sell labor, I heard sedonna sell workers , more like slavery agency , time cards cost $30 for 2 plus arm protected I hate bad, every time I wash I have a problem an loose temper when take out wash an keep from dryer, filthy , plus a orange vest that supposed vve $10 also , wear if new temp , they take out check if not return , I still have it lay in back pickup , I used it as rag bfore , that stuff burn up good with all oil absorbs, so would cloths wear work , oil rags

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497203
02/15/22 03:07 PM
02/15/22 03:07 PM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
You could always show them and go get a full time job somewhere else right?

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497216
02/15/22 03:18 PM
02/15/22 03:18 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
I started a temporary job in 1979 and I quit it in 2018. grin

Last edited by upstateNY; 02/15/22 03:38 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497242
02/15/22 04:01 PM
02/15/22 04:01 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
What I want to know, is why did Coonman 220 take a Temp job, instead getting a FULL TIME JOB!!!!!!

The big mistake, was taking that Temp job .

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497264
02/15/22 04:45 PM
02/15/22 04:45 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
When did 4 years ago , I quit another temp job after 7 months work, right before trap season an had another job line up to start but it didn't turn out be much an lay off after 1 month

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497265
02/15/22 04:46 PM
02/15/22 04:46 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
All temp place does for employee is sign bunch papers, about 10-15 work an interview talk u, that it , so there make lots money if charge $8 hr profit on u

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497278
02/15/22 05:08 PM
02/15/22 05:08 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Idk anymore but definately no future in such of many places like that , lot places u go Thru temp place get on, all same , not worth a hoot , I feel like got run over by steam rollar yet from yesterday morning , did lot work today , retire this summer an work pt an have more time, retirement bad, death sentence, not right away but health probly start in cpl yrs, not much can do about time, I guess fail life of crap jobs , all I can say is when younger try get educated enough so don't end up in some dead end factory job an waste ur short life on worthless jobs like me

Last edited by coonman220; 02/15/22 05:09 PM.
Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497288
02/15/22 05:19 PM
02/15/22 05:19 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
All the temps I have hired have a contract where as all the money is stated so there is no mystery to a temp worker costing $25 and hour because it's all spelled out.

Workers here are hard to come by. Come over here. Everybody is looking for help. The last three guys I hire worked a total of two weeks for all three combined.

The temp-agencies here let you hire people directly after they have worked for you for a certain amount of time.

I see no advantage to hiring temp agencies any more. I still had to interview every temp person I hired. After being guaranteed each person was drug free and had no record I started checking the ones I liked out and found out the temp agency I was using was not very truthful.

Lots of trade jobs are open here where a person can make a good wage and make enough for insurance and retirement to boot.

Just passin through
Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497327
02/15/22 06:00 PM
02/15/22 06:00 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by coonman220
Idk anymore but definately no future in such of many places like that , lot places u go Thru temp place get on, all same , not worth a hoot , I feel like got run over by steam rollar yet from yesterday morning , did lot work today , retire this summer an work pt an have more time, retirement bad, death sentence, not right away but health probly start in cpl yrs, not much can do about time, I guess fail life of crap jobs , all I can say is when younger try get educated enough so don't end up in some dead end factory job an waste ur short life on worthless jobs like me

There are a lot of decent factory employers out thee that pay enough wage to get ahead in life. Millions of people raise a family on those type jobs.

Younger single with no kids. You should be financially comfortable to well off with out trying all that hard.

You retire next summer you will go broke. The math doesn't work out any other way. 7.5 percent inflation destroys a fixed income

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497345
02/15/22 06:23 PM
02/15/22 06:23 PM
WI
B
Badger23 Offline
trapper
Badger23  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Camso
Bodine Electric
Crown Holdings
Hormel
Anderson Window factory. (Stinks up that side of Dubuque) I wouldn't want to work there, the odor would/does give me a headache.
Bimbo Bakeries
Duluth Clothing warehouse
There are a lot of other ones that are hiring in your area too.

I don't know of anyone here that wishes you bad luck but you have to help yourself too. I don't know why you're more worried about trapping than making a living. It looks like you know your retirement isn't going to be enjoyable and you won't have medical insurance along with a bad knee. You called your retirement a death sentence, what a crappy outlook, maybe you should work a little longer. Sounds like you know you should. You'll likely have to work full time though. Get a job with insurance and get yourself healthy.

It's entirely your decision. My thoughts on this don't matter. it's your life and I sincerely wish you the best.

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: coonman220] #7497384
02/15/22 06:56 PM
02/15/22 06:56 PM
Wyoming County Pa.
Hornady Reloader Offline
trapper
Hornady Reloader  Offline
trapper

Wyoming County Pa.
Stop your whining and just get a full time job. Lots of them out there.

Re: Turnover rate at jobs [Re: Badger23] #7497464
02/15/22 07:52 PM
02/15/22 07:52 PM
iowa
bankrunner Offline
trapper
bankrunner  Offline
trapper

iowa
Originally Posted by Badger23
Camso
Bodine Electric
Crown Holdings
Hormel
Anderson Window factory. (Stinks up that side of Dubuque) I wouldn't want to work there, the odor would/does give me a headache.
Bimbo Bakeries
Duluth Clothing warehouse
There are a lot of other ones that are hiring in your area too.

I don't know of anyone here that wishes you bad luck but you have to help yourself too. I don't know why you're more worried about trapping than making a living. It looks like you know your retirement isn't going to be enjoyable and you won't have medical insurance along with a bad knee. You called your retirement a death sentence, what a crappy outlook, maybe you should work a little longer. Sounds like you know you should. You'll likely have to work full time though. Get a job with insurance and get yourself healthy.

It's entirely your decision. My thoughts on this don't matter. it's your life and I sincerely wish you the best.

Don't forget all the ones in Peosta, Farley and Dyersville that are just as close with little traffic. Went to Dubuque last Friday and their are signs hiring everywhere, IF one WANTS a real job........

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread