No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Deer hunters [Re: SpottedOwl] #7500463
02/18/22 11:53 AM
02/18/22 11:53 AM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline OP
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
The jury wasn’t convinced that O.J. was guilty either.

Owl

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have time

Your life is an occasion ..... Rise to it
Re: Deer hunters [Re: SpottedOwl] #7500490
02/18/22 12:18 PM
02/18/22 12:18 PM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
Couple years back a buddy called said he shot a buck (6pt) asked for help locating it. As we are walking in on the trail, he's leading and walks right by, I was following him and noticed a deer body to my right in the brush. It's well after dark at this point, I call him back and said " you said it was a 6pt. It's a four!" He shot back it was certainly not a forkie. I said " Well explain this!" He comes back to where I am. The deer is curled up on the ground between us at this point. He's still trying to say that's not the buck he shot. We go back and forth for a good 20-30 seconds on this. All of a sudden the buck stands up between us, looks left and right and hauls boogie through the brush out of there. Turns out it wasn't the one he shot LOL. We both had headlamps on and were looking down so the deer probably couldn't see us.
The season before this a member of the lease had his wife hunting with him. She fired 4 shots at buck that was 80-100 yards away (bad bad bad case of the fever) and missed all 4 times. He refused to let her shoot again so they watched the buck continue to feed and walk off. That deer never responded to a single shot. The location wasn't 150 yards from where the following season we stood over that buck. We suspect he was deaf.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Deer hunters [Re: Bruce T] #7500498
02/18/22 12:36 PM
02/18/22 12:36 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Have picked up two beaver by their tails.

Me too Bruce. One anyway -that thought he was hiding in the brush...just the tail sticking out.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Deer hunters [Re: SpottedOwl] #7500501
02/18/22 12:40 PM
02/18/22 12:40 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Strange things happen every day.....

Re: Deer hunters [Re: beaverpeeler] #7500535
02/18/22 01:13 PM
02/18/22 01:13 PM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Have picked up two beaver by their tails.

Me too Bruce. One anyway -that thought he was hiding in the brush...just the tail sticking out.

I grabbed 1 beaver by the tail once while seining minnows in a small creek. Walking upstream towards a shallow hole and saw a beaver scooting along ahead of me. He went into the foot or so deep hole and froze on the bottom against the bank. He knew I was there for sure but was expecting I'd walk right by without seeing him. I got right beside it, sidestepped and bent down all at once and grabbed at his tail. I only had it very briefly with one hand and man did he ever get outta there !

There's a small thick clump of brush along the road from my house to the mailbox. I walked it most every day last summer. Most days for about a month, there was a buck that laid there and watched me go by, then come back by. Just had to keep walking as if I never saw it and he would stay there, all day. Maybe 20 yards or so. We would drive out and back in the car and I'd point him out and he was there most of a month.
I knew a guy that hunted them that way and was quite successful, read a book about it too. Walk through the woods, or down a road/path like you were walking to school. Keep looking left and right (you can see much more when moving), The deer hear you coming way before they see you but you're not quite the threat of tiptoeing hunter so they tend to stand still, assuming you don't see them, and anticipate you just walking on by. Just keep your pace and as you are approach a tree, bush or anything that briefly blocks their view, bring the gun up midstride and be ready as you come back into view. You only have a second or 2 once they see that you have stopped. I've done it a time or 2 myself, but sort of by accident on my way in, or out. But it definitely works.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread