No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Snow and salt in the Midwest??? [Re: 2zwudz] #7501718
02/19/22 12:58 PM
02/19/22 12:58 PM
Metro Minnesota
M
MNSouthPaw Offline
trapper
MNSouthPaw  Offline
trapper
M

Metro Minnesota
I plow for MNDot. Salt is not always the answer. More salt does not fix road issues faster. Temp is crucial for salt to work, too cold less effective. We are going to more and more liquid to lower the effective temperatures salt works at and to prewet/activate the salt. Salt does not melt on contact. It needs to form a brine to lower the freezing point of water. It does this by friction as it is driven on, mixing the salt with a brine mixture as its applied, or being warmer than freezing when it's applied (no we don't have heated boxes). Out state uses less salt because they have less traffic, more prone to drifting and blowing. Making a wet spot for snow to stick to can be bad. Sand salt has enough salt in it to keep the pile from freezing solid and provides some traction and color that may aid in sun melting compaction and ice, very little melting from the salt. Pre-salting is not a thing, traffic throws it off the road very quickly, anti-icing with a liquid can be effective if timed right.

Re: Snow and salt in the Midwest??? [Re: MNSouthPaw] #7501738
02/19/22 01:31 PM
02/19/22 01:31 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by MNSouthPaw
I plow for MNDot. Salt is not always the answer. More salt does not fix road issues faster. Temp is crucial for salt to work, too cold less effective. We are going to more and more liquid to lower the effective temperatures salt works at and to prewet/activate the salt. Salt does not melt on contact. It needs to form a brine to lower the freezing point of water. It does this by friction as it is driven on, mixing the salt with a brine mixture as its applied, or being warmer than freezing when it's applied (no we don't have heated boxes). Out state uses less salt because they have less traffic, more prone to drifting and blowing. Making a wet spot for snow to stick to can be bad. Sand salt has enough salt in it to keep the pile from freezing solid and provides some traction and color that may aid in sun melting compaction and ice, very little melting from the salt. Pre-salting is not a thing, traffic throws it off the road very quickly, anti-icing with a liquid can be effective if timed right.

Good info here from a guy that knows from practical experience what he is talking about. Thanks!

Re: Snow and salt in the Midwest??? [Re: trapdog1] #7501741
02/19/22 01:35 PM
02/19/22 01:35 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by MNSouthPaw

Good info here from a guy that knows from practical experience what he is talking about. Thanks!

Absolutely

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Snow and salt in the Midwest??? [Re: 2zwudz] #7501933
02/19/22 05:40 PM
02/19/22 05:40 PM
Minnesota
Born Offline
trapper
Born  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
If a private company dumped as much salt into the environment as MN/DOT does during the winter, the EPA would be shutting them down post haste. Salinity levels are rising in MN lakes. Just pointing out the double standards.

Help yourself.

Re: Snow and salt in the Midwest??? [Re: 2zwudz] #7502013
02/19/22 07:37 PM
02/19/22 07:37 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Lots of chemicals Are

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Snow and salt in the Midwest??? [Re: 2zwudz] #7502053
02/19/22 08:21 PM
02/19/22 08:21 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Not a matter of public policy; but, my own private road inclines about 30ft in ~300ft.

I used to plow and add salted sand. Now I just sprinkle a bit of wood ash after plowing, and find it works just fine.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Snow and salt in the Midwest??? [Re: Born] #7504267
02/21/22 07:56 PM
02/21/22 07:56 PM
Metro Minnesota
M
MNSouthPaw Offline
trapper
MNSouthPaw  Offline
trapper
M

Metro Minnesota
Originally Posted by Born
If a private company dumped as much salt into the environment as MN/DOT does during the winter, the EPA would be shutting them down post haste. Salinity levels are rising in MN lakes. Just pointing out the double standards.

MNDot is working to reduce salt usage. All salt usage is being closely monitored by the higher ups. Some stations have scales to accurately measure salt usage, sanders are calibrated and computer monitored. The use of newer slurry trucks has been show to reduce salt use by approx 30%. I have family and friends that plow privately and I can assure you they use more salt and chemicals by area than MNDot does, we discuss it around holidays. They want to know more about liquids to reduce their cost.
I agree salinity in our soils and waters are a concern to me as an individual and also to MNDot as they continue to try and find ways to reduce the amount of salt we use and find alternative methods to melt snow and ice. If we lose the ability to use salt because we were careless with it, the public and the economy will suffer greatly. I hope that day never comes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread