No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Disappointing Outdoor Life Article [Re: yotetrapper30] #7502021
02/19/22 07:45 PM
02/19/22 07:45 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Leash laws fix this problem.

They were hunting, not out for a stroll.

You don’t think they hunt with dogs here on the shore?

-Goofy-
Re: Disappointing Outdoor Life Article [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7502022
02/19/22 07:46 PM
02/19/22 07:46 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS

On leashes?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Disappointing Outdoor Life Article [Re: yotetrapper30] #7502027
02/19/22 07:52 PM
02/19/22 07:52 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

On leashes?

lol of course not. The leash law puts the responsibility for the dog on the owner. Planning a hunt includes knowing what is and who else maybe on the property. If it is public land where this info is not easily discovered you better know something about trapping locations and how traps function if you can’t keep your dog close.

Rabbit hunts, duck hunts and bird hunts happen hundreds of times a season without incident.

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 02/19/22 07:53 PM.

-Goofy-
Re: Disappointing Outdoor Life Article [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7502040
02/19/22 08:08 PM
02/19/22 08:08 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS

On leashes?

lol of course not. The leash law puts the responsibility for the dog on the owner. Planning a hunt includes knowing what is and who else maybe on the property. If it is public land where this info is not easily discovered you better know something about trapping locations and how traps function if you can’t keep your dog close.

Rabbit hunts, duck hunts and bird hunts happen hundreds of times a season without incident.

I mean, I don't see what good a leash law would do. Pretty much every leash law I've ever seen has an exception for hunting. But, every time you choose to loose a dog to hunt, you're taking a risk. Lots of things out there that aren't kind to dogs. They could get hit by a car (most likely), killed by coyotes or wolves, drowned by a coon, gored by a hog, bit by a snake, ate by a gator, get into a farmer's fly poison, get shot by a landowner, and on and on. It's tragic to lose a dog ANY way. But as an owner of a hunting dog, you just have to accept that each time you turn one loose could be the last time.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Disappointing Outdoor Life Article [Re: yotetrapper30] #7502048
02/19/22 08:16 PM
02/19/22 08:16 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

I mean, I don't see what good a leash law would do. Pretty much every leash law I've ever seen has an exception for hunting. But, every time you choose to loose a dog to hunt, you're taking a risk. Lots of things out there that aren't kind to dogs. They could get hit by a car (most likely), killed by coyotes or wolves, drowned by a coon, gored by a hog, bit by a snake, ate by a gator, get into a farmer's fly poison, get shot by a landowner, and on and on. It's tragic to lose a dog ANY way. But as an owner of a hunting dog, you just have to accept that each time you turn one loose could be the last time.

Except when there is no leash law it’s everybody’s fault but the owners, so there is no risk, those bad things shouldn’t be out there.

-Goofy-
Re: Disappointing Outdoor Life Article [Re: DavidInMT] #7502069
02/19/22 08:31 PM
02/19/22 08:31 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
OL, published in Stockholme should tell you enough! Got to highbrow for me years ago, I would never waste my time looking at one again.

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Disappointing Outdoor Life Article [Re: Trap Setter] #7502098
02/19/22 08:56 PM
02/19/22 08:56 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Originally Posted by Trap Setter
Originally Posted by white dog
Frankly I think it’s a stupid idea that you have to report incidental non-target catches. That information benefits the antis more than anyone else.

I disagree more than a few anti trapping groups have lost attempts at banning traps due to the offical nontarget reports that show very few to no dogs sustained injuries after being caught in traps. The hard numbers are in our favor.

I’m curious about those reports and undoubtedly due to my lack of ability haven’t been able to find them on the WI DNR website. If you have a link would you mind posting it?

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Disappointing Outdoor Life Article [Re: DavidInMT] #7502139
02/19/22 09:48 PM
02/19/22 09:48 PM
Ohio
Keith Daniels Offline
trapper
Keith Daniels  Offline
trapper

Ohio
I read the article a few days ago. No, it wasn't great, but it wasn't an all-out attack on trappers, if you read it that way you might want to go back and read it again. The very beginning of the article did make it sound like it was going to go bad in a hurry.

Keith Daniels
Retired OSTA President as of 4:50 P M 9/12/20
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread