No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Well tried messing around with case fillers #7505556
02/22/22 11:33 PM
02/22/22 11:33 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Something I've read a bit about with cast bullets and reduced loads. Used ployfill which apparently is the same as Dacron sooo . It's whole purpose is tho keep the power on once place and just take up the free air space but after doing some shooting @100yd can say it's helping much at all.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Definitely fill a lil more umpth but eh accuracy is very good. The left being with out an the right being with

Re: Well tried messing around with case fillers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7505589
02/23/22 12:09 AM
02/23/22 12:09 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
You are effectively reducing case capacity when you use filler. ( thats part of it purpose ) the side effect is that you increase pressure and thus sped of the bullet. You may want to run them over a chrono, so you know where you are at. As you may well be above the specs of your cast bullets and then the accuracy goes to pot. So in short. When you use a filler material, you may want to back off on the charge weight a tad .
Personally, I don't mess with cast bullets in small bore rifles anymore because they just don't meet my expectations in the accuracy department.

Last edited by Scuba1; 02/23/22 12:11 AM.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Well tried messing around with case fillers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7505603
02/23/22 12:35 AM
02/23/22 12:35 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Sir, I may be mistaken but I've always believed the purpose was to keep the powder in the same position in each case, when fired, making each round as nearly identical to the last as possible. Loose powder moves inside the case under recoil and cycling. Making each round burn differently. In my favorite load a full wadcutter 148 gr. 38 spcl. Useing a shotgun powder, from K-38 masterpiece, I've found filling empty space with fine ground corn meal to the point of only slight downward pressure on the contents of the case when seating bullet. To work well. Making sure the powder is level in the bottom of the case before adding filler. Maybe the polyfill is allowing the powder to shift causing each round to burn differently. Just my opinion, others will have there own.

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Well tried messing around with case fillers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7505713
02/23/22 05:30 AM
02/23/22 05:30 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Personally, I don't mess with cast bullets in small bore rifles anymore because they just don't meet my expectations in the accuracy department.

X2.

I cast bullets for my 357 revolver and two muzzle loaders. Been thinking about trying some wheel weight lead cast 45 acp bullets. Never bought a 45 set of dies though. Could always buy 45 ammo so cheap I never saw a need. Anybody tried cast bullets in a 1911? I am worried about feeding problems. Hate to spend the money for a mold and dies only to discover I dont like the results.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Well tried messing around with case fillers [Re: danny clifton] #7505739
02/23/22 06:48 AM
02/23/22 06:48 AM
NC
G
garyll1959 Offline
trapper
garyll1959  Offline
trapper
G

NC
Originally Posted by danny clifton

X2.

I cast bullets for my 357 revolver and two muzzle loaders. Been thinking about trying some wheel weight lead cast 45 acp bullets. Never bought a 45 set of dies though. Could always buy 45 ammo so cheap I never saw a need. Anybody tried cast bullets in a 1911? I am worried about feeding problems. Hate to spend the money for a mold and dies only to discover I dont like the results.

Back during my IPSC / USPSA competition days, everybody ran cast bullets in their 1911's. Mostly the 200 grain H&G #68 design, semi wadcutter. BUT...these pistols were mostly highly modified, with feed ramp work, different recoil springs,, etc. to insure feeding of other than "ball" ammo. Cast round nose bullets, in the 200 to 230 grain range "should" work just fine in any 1911 that's reliable with regular roundnose jacketed bullets.
One thing that we found was that magazines can make or break a 1911. They standard / surplus mags worked OK, with roundnose stuff, but wouldn't feed the semi wadcutters. Fortunately, good 1911 mags are fairly inexpensive and readily available from Wilson Combat and other sources.

Re: Well tried messing around with case fillers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7505747
02/23/22 07:04 AM
02/23/22 07:04 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Thanks Gary

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Well tried messing around with case fillers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7505988
02/23/22 10:35 AM
02/23/22 10:35 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the only filler I ever used was corn meal then seat the bullet on it

as scuba pointed out you may be changing your pressure and velocity taking it off your accuracy node.

try going down some in powder charge and see if it gets any better

the corn meal was for black powder loads as case fill then seat the bullet

the other thing to think about is that the weight of the fill must be added to the weight of the bullet for total payload weight. your changing the projectile weight

not sure the exact cause of your larger group just all things to consider ,

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Well tried messing around with case fillers [Re: danny clifton] #7505995
02/23/22 10:39 AM
02/23/22 10:39 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton

X2.

you could try Acme coated bullets they make coated and uncoated you can load and shoot and your only out the cost of 100 bullets to try

I shoot the coated from a bunch of 9mm guns , I was casting and coating my own then I got busy and needed some boolits and bought these , now I mostly load these being busy with a lot of other things

I liked casting but I like shooting , hunting and fishing more than casting

it helps our local shop carries the Acme bullets and always seems to have a box of 500 on the shelf when I am ready for them.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/23/22 10:41 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Well tried messing around with case fillers [Re: Scuba1] #7506338
02/23/22 03:48 PM
02/23/22 03:48 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Scuba1
You are effectively reducing case capacity when you use filler. ( thats part of it purpose ) the side effect is that you increase pressure and thus sped of the bullet. You may want to run them over a chrono, so you know where you are at. As you may well be above the specs of your cast bullets and then the accuracy goes to pot. So in short. When you use a filler material, you may want to back off on the charge weight a tad .

You know that never even crossed my mind but now you say it it makes perfect sense ! My chrony didn't wanna turn on so I couldn't get any reading but you make perfect sense !

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread