No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Annealing stainless #7509643
02/26/22 04:26 AM
02/26/22 04:26 AM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline OP
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
My search and google-fu have failed me.

I need to smash some stainless nuts. Does stainless need to be annealed? Will that change any of the properties as far as being stainless? This will be in a marine environment, submerged with the tides. Mixing in mud and sand to make things as corrosive as possible.

Inquiring minds that want to know.

Owl

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have time

Your life is an occasion ..... Rise to it
Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7509645
02/26/22 04:57 AM
02/26/22 04:57 AM
Ohio, Old fart to some.
ack Offline
trapper
ack  Offline
trapper

Ohio, Old fart to some.
I use stainless nuts on stainless cable for my trap extensions. I have never had a problem. No need to anneal.

_________

I used to have superpowers… but a therapist took them away.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7509685
02/26/22 07:20 AM
02/26/22 07:20 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
I assume you want to have the nuts more malleable for your smashing process.
Assumption: The nuts are most likely 300 series stainless and more likely 304.
Most annealing of stainless I've been involved with was under very controlled conditions and under controlled conditions you can achieve better and enhanced corrosion resistance. Typically, Hydrogen and Nitrogen are flooded into the chamber to reduce oxidation of the chromium (Cr) found in stainless and often still requires pickling in nitric or hydrofluoric acid to remove scale.
Your challenge will come from trying to achieve the right temperature (probably 1,100 degrees) with the precise quench time following your hot nuts- my fear would be that you have carbon leaching and trap carbon atoms in the process and further reduce your corrosion resistance, if not timed precisely.
You could try it- hit or miss and maybe passivate with citric acid or orange peels after. I would be inclined to smash a brass nut on the stainless bolt for your application- true that dissimilar metals will corrode faster but you could induce more galvanic reaction by exposing the carbon in annealing on a comparative scale to the corrosive resistance benefits of brass. If to want to get fancy you could add a sacrificial anode like a piece of zinc to your assembly- that will come under attack before the stainless.

Re: Annealing stainless [Re: Eagleye] #7509704
02/26/22 08:10 AM
02/26/22 08:10 AM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by Eagleye
Most annealing of stainless I've been involved with was under very controlled conditions and under controlled conditions you can achieve better and enhanced corrosion resistance. Typically, Hydrogen and Nitrogen are flooded into the chamber to reduce oxidation of the chromium (Cr) found in stainless and often still requires pickling in nitric or hydrofluoric acid to remove scale.
Your challenge will come from trying to achieve the right temperature (probably 1,100 degrees) with the precise quench time following your hot nuts- my fear would be that you have carbon leaching and trap carbon atoms in the process and further reduce your corrosion resistance, if not timed precisely.
You could try it- hit or miss and maybe passivate with citric acid or orange peels after. I would be inclined to smash a brass nut on the stainless bolt for your application- true that dissimilar metals will corrode faster but you could induce more galvanic reaction by exposing the carbon in annealing on a comparative scale to the corrosive resistance benefits of brass. If to want to get fancy you could add a sacrificial anode like a piece of zinc to your assembly- that will come under attack before the stainless.

shocked

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Annealing stainless [Re: USMC47 🦫] #7509781
02/26/22 09:39 AM
02/26/22 09:39 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
Originally Posted by Eagleye

shocked

That's what I was thinking! laugh

Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7509816
02/26/22 10:01 AM
02/26/22 10:01 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
What eagle eye means to say is

Tis too complicated to bother with. grin

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7509835
02/26/22 10:13 AM
02/26/22 10:13 AM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Like EagleEye said, nuts are most likely 304.

It can be annealed but it also work hardens. As soon as you hit it with the hammer, it will be hard again.

That said, I've crushed 304 stainless nuts before. A few will crack, probably from the work hardening, but most worked fine. By crushing them, I'm making them brittle but they were still strong enough to work. I wouldn't trust them if I was building some sort of cable system I needed to save my life but on snares it should be fine.

If you're having problems, you might have nuts made of some other type of SS. 304 is the most common but nuts are available in other types of stainless. Try ordering 303 nuts. 303 isn't as hard and doesn't work harden as readily as 304. No idea how much 303 nuts would cost though.

Last edited by maintenanceguy; 02/26/22 10:16 AM.

-Ryan
Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7509858
02/26/22 10:32 AM
02/26/22 10:32 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Yes, stainless will work harden, but as far as crushing nuts, the more times you hit it, the worse it is. Use a big hammer, and get the job done with few hits! If you aneal, keep the temp down, as the alloys will migratewhen heated above the critical temp. To. keep that from happening, the stainless needs a protector from the atmosphere! As in when welding, it uses a shielding gas to accomplish this. The result of heating above the critical range without protection, is what is known as sugaring in the welding trade. Hope that helps you understand this a bit more. You would about need an oven to do the anealing, so Just use a bigger hammer! Good luck.

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Annealing stainless [Re: Scuba1] #7509867
02/26/22 10:36 AM
02/26/22 10:36 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by Scuba1
What eagle eye means to say is

Tis too complicated to bother with. grin

Why didn't I just say that! grin

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7510103
02/26/22 01:17 PM
02/26/22 01:17 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Austenitic stainless steels, which includes all in the 300 series, are not particularly good in a salt water environment. They are susceptible to chloride induced stress corrosion cracking. In your application smashing them will mean they are highly stressed and the salt water will do the rest.

Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7510549
02/26/22 09:40 PM
02/26/22 09:40 PM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline OP
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
Holy Moses. I see I tapped an inner geek or two. There’s a lot of cool and interesting information here. It’s more than the standard toss them in the wood stove like normal. Thank you.

Owl

Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7510646
02/26/22 11:20 PM
02/26/22 11:20 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
A couple good explanations about stainless and it's abilities to be hardened. Wont add any it would be redundant !

Can it be done yes, do you really need such cost and time expenditure for your needs I doubt it !

Most trappers would never have the education, time or equipment to do this nor really the need to. It's expensive to do so
and do it correctly. Just is not worth the investment in my eyes when other applications would suffice just as well.

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7510654
02/26/22 11:28 PM
02/26/22 11:28 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
OK here is the German enginerding perspective. To do the job to suffice for the intended purpose, you need a bigger hammer to get the job done in as few whacks as possible. Forget about all the rest, have a drink and sleep easy before setting them wires.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7510733
02/27/22 01:14 AM
02/27/22 01:14 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Originally Posted by SpottedOwl
Holy Moses. I see I tapped an inner geek or two. There’s a lot of cool and interesting information here. It’s more than the standard toss them in the wood stove like normal. Thank you.

Owl

Yes I too have learned a lot about nuts on this site

olden tyred
Re: Annealing stainless [Re: Scuba1] #7510740
02/27/22 01:26 AM
02/27/22 01:26 AM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline OP
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by Seldom
Nothing to do with geeks, it’s what some of us do/did everyday for a living!

It’s all about geeks. It’s what people do. Heck, I geek out about power saws and electricity, that’s what I do everyday for a living. I’ll grab a big hammer and get after it. I do actually appreciate the more intense information, it caused me to look up a few things and learned some stuff along the way. Pretty cool.

Owl

Re: Annealing stainless [Re: SpottedOwl] #7510814
02/27/22 07:09 AM
02/27/22 07:09 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
I've had the pleasure of working with some of the most well-schooled and smartest engineers over my career- I would take a farmer over the majority of them on any given day. A lot of times you don't need theory- you need a solution!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread