No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Question on hog trapping #7508163
02/24/22 10:48 PM
02/24/22 10:48 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
So gotta question for hog trappers that a little bit out of the box.
So looking at the longer game where your both shooting trapping and snaring hogs in conjunction, would using a trap initially that only target larger s hogs be beneficial? Now the trap I'm talking about would be something similar to one of them big cattle pannel l coon trap looking deals that's been set up to only trigger on big hogs. Little ones and come in and out all they want but only one of the right hight can trigger it.and there three or four ways I'm looking at this rn.
Now my idea behind this is from looking into guys who do alot of the thermal stuff in conjunction with cell traps and the like , it seems at least from listing to their dialogue once you take out certain members of a sounder ( and apparently the whole sounders things is..... A contested argument with the advent of the Judas system and what it's revealed) that the rest of the group kinda becomes ....aimless for lack of a better word and more susceptible to other forms of control.
Now I know everyone says that the corral traps are the best thing to use but there seems to be various circumstances where they cannot be properly used for various reasons. Be it lack of cell service , bad terrain, or just plain cost. I'm just trying to figure out how you could possibly get the most impact out of one of th se traps as possible. And I know alot of folks think that is strictly how many you can catch in one go but again after studying some guys who really do this hardcore I'm starting to think there might be more to this then just that.
Anyhow just curious what y'all thought...

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7508169
02/24/22 10:53 PM
02/24/22 10:53 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
I have wondered if a guy couldn't make a pen with a funnel, sorta like a giant fish trap, and act like fish in a barrel.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Yukon John] #7508171
02/24/22 10:57 PM
02/24/22 10:57 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Yukon John
I have wondered if a guy couldn't make a pen with a funnel, sorta like a giant fish trap, and act like fish in a barrel.

That's actually a common design 6 figured traps what their called
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7508201
02/24/22 11:20 PM
02/24/22 11:20 PM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Yes targeting the mature pigs first then dealing with the piglets later will be much easier than catching the piglets then trying to deal with an educated sow or boar, but you really need to try and get them all at one capture if possible. I’ve had entire Sounders disappear for weeks or forever after leaving “witness pigs”. Your best bet that’s relatively cheap would be a 3 panel trap with a 6 ft gate. I’ve personally seen 26 caught in a 3 panel. Drop traps are definitely the way to go in the long run, adult pigs will generally enter a completely raised drop trap in 1-2 nights if they haven’t been (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) with, so less pre baiting required. To avoid catching only small pigs just set your trip wire higher or use a tripwire wired to a heavy log that only a big pig can push around.

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7508203
02/24/22 11:21 PM
02/24/22 11:21 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
This one is shaped like a rectangular fish trap. The front side is setup with a straight funnel entrance with the cattle panels forming a cone. The back side has a more conventional flap gate. I rig the trap with a notched and hinged 2x2 that fires the gate once an adult starts feeding in the trap. Once fired, the flap gate allows additional pigs to enter.

My best catch to date in that trap is 20.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Turd Furgeson] #7508805
02/25/22 02:01 PM
02/25/22 02:01 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
Yes targeting the mature pigs first then dealing with the piglets later will be much easier than catching the piglets then trying to deal with an educated sow or boar, but you really need to try and get them all at one capture if possible. I’ve had entire Sounders disappear for weeks or forever after leaving “witness pigs”. Your best bet that’s relatively cheap would be a 3 panel trap with a 6 ft gate. I’ve personally seen 26 caught in a 3 panel. Drop traps are definitely the way to go in the long run, adult pigs will generally enter a completely raised drop trap in 1-2 nights if they haven’t been (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) with, so less pre baiting required. To avoid catching only small pigs just set your trip wire higher or use a tripwire wired to a heavy log that only a big pig can push around.

Interesting

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Aix sponsa] #7509217
02/25/22 08:54 PM
02/25/22 08:54 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
This one is shaped like a rectangular fish trap. The front side is setup with a straight funnel entrance with the cattle panels forming a cone. The back side has a more conventional flap gate. I rig the trap with a notched and hinged 2x2 that fires the gate once an adult starts feeding in the trap. Once fired, the flap gate allows additional pigs to enter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Never had them b able to get out of that style ?

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7509227
02/25/22 09:06 PM
02/25/22 09:06 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
I will occasionally use a trap with a top on it but things have to be just right.

I have no desire to have to kill another deer that beat itself up past saving in a hog trap. Open top cattle panel traps they can jump out of. Don't tie off the panels over halfway up and hogs have a hard time climbing out because the panel bows back and dumps them off

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7509232
02/25/22 09:16 PM
02/25/22 09:16 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I have a deep respect and admiration for you hog getters. It is flat hard work with heavy gear and catching critters with little bitty things running all over them.
Ah, no, thank, you.

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: ] #7509243
02/25/22 09:24 PM
02/25/22 09:24 PM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Originally Posted by Mark June
I have a deep respect and admiration for you hog getters. It is flat hard work with heavy gear and catching critters with little bitty things running all over them.
Ah, no, thank, you.

I did 3 years in pig (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) as a pig trapper, I knew day 1 on the job I’d made a huge mistake. Basically nothing enjoyable about it, even when you made a good catch you then had to deal with dragging them out in mud with ticks chiggers, skeeters, gnats bothering you. Loading corn every day, pounding t posts in rocky ground in 90 percent humidity, loading and unloading 16 ft panels....couldn’t get back to coyotes fast enough.

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7509474
02/25/22 11:42 PM
02/25/22 11:42 PM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
Just another day in paradise!

A recent catch. An entire group of 31 caught at one time in one of my cellular wireless equipped, monitored, and triggered coral style traps in Central Florida. This was possible by the use of cellular and IR trail cameras to monitor the group and obtain an accurate headcount, use a trap capable of holding the entire group, begin a prebaiting regimen to entice all into the trap daily, then patiently waiting until the time was right and all were in the trap at one time, and only then triggering the gate. The time period for the process was about three weeks. The group was comprised of mature male and pregnant females with three generations of offspring. Within a few months that number of hogs could/would have doubled or trippled.

[Linked Image]

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Aix sponsa] #7510100
02/26/22 01:10 PM
02/26/22 01:10 PM
NW Oklahoma
O
Okie Farmer Offline
trapper
Okie Farmer  Offline
trapper
O

NW Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Aix sponsa

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've used similar setup and worked well but I had too much tension on my entry point. I haven't took the time to set one up again.

Anyone having trouble with random robo calls tripping your cellular triggered gates?

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7510427
02/26/22 07:34 PM
02/26/22 07:34 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Like I said, I deeply respect you hog dudes and dudettes. You are my heros.

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7510458
02/26/22 08:21 PM
02/26/22 08:21 PM
Pottsboro TX Grayson county
J
Jiggamitch Offline
trapper
Jiggamitch  Offline
trapper
J

Pottsboro TX Grayson county
Built a small circle trap for about $100. Works great. Make sure you really secure the panels to your posts, or they will rip the panels up and get out. They are also pretty good jumpers for their size. Very aggressive when caught.

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7510544
02/26/22 09:37 PM
02/26/22 09:37 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
We use a Hog Eye trap. Think the most we caught at once was 13, but we don’t generally have large sounders to deal with. We had used the panel style with the gate but had deer get spooked inside and actually get their heads stuck in the panel. This new style trap is raised and falls. Comes in a few pieces and one man can actually set it up himself, but much easier with 2.

What we’ve seen with shooting is it will generally run them off for a while so it doesn’t do much unless you can specifically target the larger sows and boars.

Dogs do nothing but run the hogs off after catching one. It would be different if they left for good but they don’t. They’ll be back.

If I was to get another, I think we’d try a pig brig. No cameras needed, not that we have any issue with a cell signal where we’re trapping, but want to see if it’s as good as they say.

Re: Question on hog trapping [Re: Wolfdog91] #7512492
02/28/22 11:53 AM
02/28/22 11:53 AM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
Guy I know doing really well with a Pig Brig. A true continuous catch trap. Has caught 24 at one time. He has only had the trap six months so jury is still out on durability. No phone service needed. Set it in the bottoms and if water comes up, dont have to worry. About $2k - so not nearly as much as the phone triggered traps.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread