No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Electricians : Wiring Drill motors #7514348
03/02/22 01:17 AM
03/02/22 01:17 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Hay got a question for the electricians. Looking at making a case prep center for reloading and I think I can make on for cheaper then buying. I'm considering just buying a few of these hobby drill chuck and motor combos mount them in a cheap hobby box and wiring them be speed controlled trough a dimmer switch or similar.
[Linked Image]
Possibly something like this

Deal is I don't know diddly about wiring single motors much less one to four ( probably just gonna do two) in tandem crazy
So,has anyone done something like this before ?
Any reading or video reccomedation for self learning ? I tried looking some up but got lost in the sauce pretty quick
Also would I be better off just goin to the pawn shop and buying some brown drills and just taking the motors and chuck out of them ?
Thanks !

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 03/02/22 01:27 AM.
Re: Electricians : Wiring Drill motors [Re: Wolfdog91] #7514417
03/02/22 07:37 AM
03/02/22 07:37 AM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: Electricians : Wiring Drill motors [Re: Wolfdog91] #7514450
03/02/22 08:06 AM
03/02/22 08:06 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
If you want to use those hobby motors, they're 12 volt. You'll need a 12 volt power source. Not hard to get, but if you're wanting to run multiple units you need to know the wattage pulled from all the units... Or you'd need multiple 12 v power sources.

It can be done but it isn't really practical. And you probably won't save much money.

You would probably be time and money ahead to heed Cotton's advice.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Electricians : Wiring Drill motors [Re: Mike in A-town] #7514483
03/02/22 08:36 AM
03/02/22 08:36 AM
Hudson valley , NY
S
slowpoke Offline
trapper
slowpoke  Offline
trapper
S

Hudson valley , NY
I totally agree with Cotton Prep center is the way to go ...

Re: Electricians : Wiring Drill motors [Re: Wolfdog91] #7514562
03/02/22 10:13 AM
03/02/22 10:13 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
how many people have a old 12volt drill you could have and just hook up to a 12 volt supply

seriously I have a 12 volt dewalt all the batteries are bad you can have it for the shipping but if you ask around you may find many people have the same closer to you

I don't know why I never tossed it but it is here on my self I can toss it on my 12 volt supply and verify it works before sending if you like

I use a corded back and decker drill that was my dads it has the switch to lock it in the on position I chuck up my cade prep tool and put the drill in the vice it has a high low already and low is a good speed for me the way it is

if you find 110 volt drills I got one at a thrift store a craftsman last year for 5 bucks a Variac a variable transformer lets you adjust the speed I happened to have one it is very handy making me dremel tool run at the speed I want and not the speeds it has

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Electricians : Wiring Drill motors [Re: Wolfdog91] #7514629
03/02/22 11:24 AM
03/02/22 11:24 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline
trapper

ND
I looked at doing this same thing for quite awhile, but ended up saving my pennies and picked up an RCBS case prep center. I don't know why the guy in the youtube video you posted uses such a high speed for each of his tools - I believe low speed and higher torque are a better route. There's hardly any runout in the tools in the RCBS case prep center I've got, and that's one of the reasons I selected it over the Frankford Arsenal one. Read some reviews on the FA prep center, lots of folks saying the tools don't run concentric with the motor shaft. If I remember correctly, you've got a bit of OCD like I do, and that non-concentric tools would bug you. Just my two cents!

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Electricians : Wiring Drill motors [Re: Wolfdog91] #7514631
03/02/22 11:27 AM
03/02/22 11:27 AM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Hay got a question for the electricians. Looking at making a case prep center for reloading and I think I can make on for cheaper then buying. I'm considering just buying a few of these hobby drill chuck and motor combos mount them in a cheap hobby box and wiring them be speed controlled trough a dimmer switch or similar.
[Linked Image]
Possibly something like this

Deal is I don't know diddly about wiring single motors much less one to four ( probably just gonna do two) in tandem crazy
So,has anyone done something like this before ?
Any reading or video reccomedation for self learning ? I tried looking some up but got lost in the sauce pretty quick
Also would I be better off just goin to the pawn shop and buying some brown drills and just taking the motors and chuck out of them ?
Thanks !

What are you looking to accomplish with a case prep station? I just want to be honest I have shot a lot a lot of bullets through my guns like I know a bunch here have....I don't do any case prep besides cleaning. I shoot to practice for hunting, target shooting and movement and react to contact drills, all good to go. I also stopped cleaning my primer pockets....

Re: Electricians : Wiring Drill motors [Re: Wolfdog91] #7514644
03/02/22 11:44 AM
03/02/22 11:44 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Wire in parallel.