No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: yotetrapper30] #7518148
03/05/22 11:42 AM
03/05/22 11:42 AM
Minnesota
B
BobMo Offline
trapper
BobMo  Offline
trapper
B

Minnesota
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Someday I would lie like to personally meet him.

Hope you fare better than the child that asked him for mink trapping advice and was told he wasn't smart enough to trap mink and should stick to muskrats.

You're lucky he doesnt sue you for libel.

Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Crowfoot] #7518161
03/05/22 11:57 AM
03/05/22 11:57 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
CF
The reasoning is more than that if you talk to Robert about it.

Wade I knew you had went to the DH, bait, urine system. I'm curious how many who have been following Robert and admiring his catches can bring themselves to follow his system. More of a question to see who is confident enough to put into action what they see Robert doing...??? Who can walk the walk so to speak[/quote]
Hi YS, I'll likely never get to talk to him, just referencing what he said in the video. Can you elaborate a bit ? Thanks.

If one was to ever experience the populations and sign he encounters, (video) one might just be able to walk in a similar fashion.
Thanks[/quote]

CF
No I won't elaborate but if you really want to learn and are willing put out about 30 test sets in the off season I'll tell you how you can learn about what Robert speaks of. Here's my reasoning behind this and it's not directed at you. Robert shows to the world exactly how he catches a lot of coyotes and the best system he's found for doing it BUT most people aren't willing to follow it even if they believe he walks on water. There are a lot of excuses why his system won't work for them, sometimes their reasoning is sound and based off a lot of trial and error.
, but a lot of trappers would catch more fur if they followed his thinking. A lot of trappers try every set they see on YouTube and have a bag full of lures despite what Robert shows them. So my question is what good would it do for me to elaborate when they don't believe it in the first place?

Last edited by Yes sir; 03/05/22 12:57 PM.
Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: yotetrapper30] #7518167
03/05/22 12:07 PM
03/05/22 12:07 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Beav

I wonder if she's getting Robert mixed up with Bob the urine collector didn't he get booted for something like that

Nope. It was Robert, not Bob.

I've talked with Robert once . He's a very direct, no holds barred, black and white, tells it like he sees it kind of guy. Same personality that makes him a great trapper. Theirs alway 3 sides to a story. Not justifying Robert comments if he did say that, but my guess the kid said something to provoke it. Ive seen Paul boot young trappers off here for running their mouth when they should have been listening too. Sometimes I've even run my mouth when I should be listening and I've also reacted and said stuff I maybe shouldn't. It happens.

Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Coonyote] #7518224
03/05/22 01:30 PM
03/05/22 01:30 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I think the number 1 key to catching a lot of fur is to have a lot of fur to catch, lol.

Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Wanna Be] #7518349
03/05/22 02:56 PM
03/05/22 02:56 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Online content
trapper
Mark McCary  Online Content
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Great video by R.W. and crew simple and to the point. Bait, urine/gland lure in a hole or under a rock works for me. Just think of all the money he is saving on lure cost by keeping it simple muskrat and good urine X hundreds of sets. It also works great to use some well blended snares to pick up those leery older coyotes. Yes I wear gloves mostly to protect my hands and keep them a little cleaner?

Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Coonyote] #7518374
03/05/22 03:25 PM
03/05/22 03:25 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
I have known a fair number of trappers over the near 60 years I have been involved in it. To a man, the big numbers guys all had the same M.O......Aside from being very well versed in the habits of the type of critter they were targeting, they simplified their sets/baits/lures, then set a BUNCH of traps in a BUNCH of good spots.......over and over and over and over. The other, likely most important, trait these folks shared was the fact that they were tireless. It is that "over and over and over" deal that piled up the fur for these folks. Most people don't have the drive to keep up that grind day after day after week....they find ways to talk themselves into maybe not rotating their sets and adding fresh sets every single day, always moving on to fresh pastures and rolling past the low percentage areas to concentrate on only the best areas to set. Tireless, tireless, hard working trappers.

Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: yotetrapper30] #7518427
03/05/22 04:17 PM
03/05/22 04:17 PM
Kansas
M
MATT.P Offline
trapper
MATT.P  Offline
trapper
M

Kansas
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Someday I would lie like to personally meet him.

Hope you fare better than the child that asked him for mink trapping advice and was told he wasn't smart enough to trap mink and should stick to muskrats.
. That’s BS. Roberts been nothing but helpful to me, take time to answer questions and give advise to me, and people wonder why the top coyote guys don’t post here, nobody want to deal with that crap.

Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Coonyote] #7518450
03/05/22 04:41 PM
03/05/22 04:41 PM
Minnesota
G
Gerald Schmitt Offline
trapper
Gerald Schmitt  Offline
trapper
G

Minnesota
Yotetrapper30, I always enjoy your posts, but when and where did he say that to a kid? Certainly doesn't sound like the Robert Waddell I know.

Robert has done as much to promote trapping as anyone I know, recently inducted into the FTA Hall of Fame. Like most everyone who is good at what they do, Robert takes pride in his work, and takes pride in conducting himself in a professional manner.

Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Coonyote] #7518483
03/05/22 05:34 PM
03/05/22 05:34 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Yes sir you have been hitting all the points that are keys to Robert’s trapping. The most important thing I’ve learned from him is confidence. I don’t know how to say it without sounding corny but Having absolute confidence when you make a set is a very big deal.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Coonyote] #7518647
03/05/22 08:36 PM
03/05/22 08:36 PM
pa.
J
jarentz Offline
trapper
jarentz  Offline
trapper
J

pa.
Very nice video by him and the management team! I'm sure we all can learn something from watching it.

jarentz
Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Gerald Schmitt] #7518776
03/05/22 10:09 PM
03/05/22 10:09 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Originally Posted by Gerald Schmitt
Yotetrapper30, I always enjoy your posts, but when and where did he say that to a kid? Certainly doesn't sound like the Robert Waddell I know.

Robert has done as much to promote trapping as anyone I know, recently inducted into the FTA Hall of Fame. Like most everyone who is good at what they do, Robert takes pride in his work, and takes pride in conducting himself in a professional manner.

I will second this and ad that Robert has always spoken to my kids and others I have witnessed with respect and helpfulness. I think yt30 must be mistaken.

Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Coonyote] #7518801
03/05/22 10:24 PM
03/05/22 10:24 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Watched a movie years ago called Iron Will. About a kid entering a dog sled race. A friend of his dads was advising him while he trained. the day he left for the race he told young Will if he wanted to win he had to run more and sleep less than the other mushers.

Run more sleep less works in a lot of different situations.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: danny clifton] #7518854
03/05/22 11:04 PM
03/05/22 11:04 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Watched a movie years ago called Iron Will. About a kid entering a dog sled race. A friend of his dads was advising him while he trained. the day he left for the race he told young Will if he wanted to win he had to run more and sleep less than the other mushers.

Run more sleep less works in a lot of different situations.

I remember that movie.Good movie

Nevada bound
Re: Robert Waddell Video Part II [Re: Coonyote] #7538365
03/25/22 08:58 AM
03/25/22 08:58 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Yes sir, I've had plenty of people tell me in the past that I was making a mistake by only doing the dirthole, bait, and quality urine approach. I guess I didn't care. Catches went up and quickly. I've commented a number of times I only had one goal when I was trapping and that was to catch as many coyotes/bobcats as fast as I could. I would only have 10-14 days. I never had ability to run a sizeable line due to other life commitments for much longer. I think a lot of trappers focus on the guys that are doing predator control rather than fur trapping when fur was worth money. I didn't care if I killed the last one, I just wanted as many as I could catch. It's a system he has down and I've asked for his advice and he's been open with it. It works. I think I've commented in the past but at some point I am going to bring myself to make nothing more than a dirthole with a shot of urine down it for an entire line. It can't get much simpler than that....someday....

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread