No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: henpecked1] #7542829
03/29/22 12:58 PM
03/29/22 12:58 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
One thing I learned back in the 70s/80s is that in a boom there are true people and gimmick people in every boom period like anything else. Time is what thins them out over the years. My buddy in Chicago always said if a guy nails 2 things together that have never been nailed together before some smuck will buy it in regards to new gimmicks.

I see that a lot with the rebel that comes out of nowhere bucking the norms and boom a instant following of sorts I’ve seen it many times over the years. Not every shaker and mover is a fraud but a few will show up if the opportunity is there. I call it the 3 karate lesson guys we all know them that sign up for 12 lessons and takes 3 then quit and go onto something else. One guy gets a black belt the other moves on to a new thing endlessly looking for that passion they search for.

A prime example is the outdoor shows you know who’s real and who’s got more money then true knowledge if you know what to look for by watching but I stopped watching because of the endless ads and hype mostly. If people worship a person I have no problem with that so me badmouthing others just would make me look bad in the end just leave people alone I say.

So many reasons why people do what they do jealousy, ignorance, spite, revenge or many are just trying to be relevant in one way or another mostly. I enjoy analyzing the human makeup and behavior patterns I sit back and watch and say little unless it becomes fake or hurtful then I’ll point it out.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: gman] #7542840
03/29/22 01:16 PM
03/29/22 01:16 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by gman
A professional is someone who makes a living from trapping.An expert is someone who is really good at trapping.Trapping is like everything else.The more knowledge and experience you have the better trapper you are.Some people use the term professional instead of expert to mean how good of a trapper a person is.

Perfect analogy! Professional means exactly that. If you make the majority of your income as a salesman working 9 -10 months a year and the rest from trapping you are still a professional salesman. Not a professional trapper. If your whole income is derived from trapping then you are a professional. There are very few......

What if you make 40 # of you're income trapping 7 months of the year and 60 percent of your income the other 5 months working you're farm , then are you only a professional farmer? Oh man now I'm stanting to sound like Hobbie, thinking out side the box. What is a professional any way?

Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: wetdog] #7542843
03/29/22 01:28 PM
03/29/22 01:28 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by gman
A professional is someone who makes a living from trapping.An expert is someone who is really good at trapping.Trapping is like everything else.The more knowledge and experience you have the better trapper you are.Some people use the term professional instead of expert to mean how good of a trapper a person is.

Perfect analogy! Professional means exactly that. If you make the majority of your income as a salesman working 9 -10 months a year and the rest from trapping you are still a professional salesman. Not a professional trapper. If your whole income is derived from trapping then you are a professional. There are very few......

What if you make 40 # of you're income trapping 7 months of the year and 60 percent of your income the other 5 months working you're farm , then are you only a professional farmer? Oh man now I'm stanting to sound like Hobbie, thinking out side the box. What is a professional any way?
Originally Posted by wetdog
I'm a Procrastinator.

That's what my wife tells me , WY do you procrastinate on every thing but trapping? I tell her don't know? But You are very observent!!

Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: coondagger2] #7542861
03/29/22 01:47 PM
03/29/22 01:47 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Originally Posted by Mark June
Do we associate big numbers with being a professional in the vocation of trapping?
Other vocations don't.
Plumbers plumb a lot of pipes = a pro? No.
Carpenters nail a lot of boards = a pro? No.

Why the association with being a pro in trapping with X numbers of pelties?
Maybe that's a confusion?
Not sure.

Blessings,
Mark

Mark, I 100% associate numbers with being a professional in other fields. Do I want to hire the plumber who has "plumbed a lot of pipes" ?? Absolutely. I'd rather hire the plumber that doesn't have much to say and is rough around the edges but does outstanding work than the well spoken, gentleman plumber who leaves my house a mess

Are you then confusing experience with expertise?
I'd rather hire the person with expertise for my $$ than the one whose hung crooked pipes all across the neighborhood.
Ever know a "newbie" who is talented who you'd hire in a sec over the experienced tailgate sitting expert?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: henpecked1] #7542879
03/29/22 02:06 PM
03/29/22 02:06 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
At the end of the day, I can never figure out why people are haters in the trapping community. After all, think about it, it’s not rocket science. We are catching animals in traps. What I see people don’t like are the people who flaunt their trapping as if they’re Gods. Again, it’s trapping animals. If you work hard and have a little experience and knowledge, you’ll - generally - do well. But I think because trapping is filled with people who others consider to be “icons,” it changes things. You won’t see “icons” in the plumbing community. They’re just plumbers.

You’ll rarely see a plumber talk about himself but you will a trapper. It’s a little silly. At the same time, I’m glad people made proud of their accomplishments. What can you say.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: yotetrapper30] #7543077
03/29/22 05:36 PM
03/29/22 05:36 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I have a lot of respect for many of the big number guys. But does a person HAVE to like a person just because he catches big numbers? Does personality not come into play at all? There are a few big number guys I can't stand. It has nothing to do with how many animals they do or don't catch. I know they catch a lot of animals... I don't doubt that... but that doesn't make them a decent human being. I don't dislike anyone BECAUSE they catch big numbers, I dislike some people in spite of the fact they do.

If someone is a crappy human being, and you jump on their bandwagon just because they catch X amount of coyotes or coon in a year, what does that say about you?

I agree with some of this^.I don't mind someone "Marketing Their Wares" to try and make a few extra bucks.BUT,,I don't care for someone walking around all puffy chested saying "Im The Bestest In ALL The Land" ,when they realy are NOT. grin

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: henpecked1] #7543225
03/29/22 08:07 PM
03/29/22 08:07 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
"creative marketing" sure gets old

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: USMC47 🦫] #7543237
03/29/22 08:15 PM
03/29/22 08:15 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫
At the end of the day, I can never figure out why people are haters in the trapping community. After all, think about it, it’s not rocket science. We are catching animals in traps. What I see people don’t like are the people who flaunt their trapping as if they’re Gods. Again, it’s trapping animals. If you work hard and have a little experience and knowledge, you’ll - generally - do well. But I think because trapping is filled with people who others consider to be “icons,” it changes things. You won’t see “icons” in the plumbing community. They’re just plumbers.

You’ll rarely see a plumber talk about himself but you will a trapper. It’s a little silly. At the same time, I’m glad people made proud of their accomplishments. What can you say.

... obviously you’ve never met a welder

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: henpecked1] #7543276
03/29/22 08:37 PM
03/29/22 08:37 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota

I guess you wouldn't be a professional at either.

Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: Savell] #7543316
03/29/22 09:03 PM
03/29/22 09:03 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by Savell

I have met one welder.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: USMC47 🦫] #7544310
03/30/22 08:40 PM
03/30/22 08:40 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
At the end of the day, I can never figure out why people are haters in the trapping community.

I thought we all agreed to hate Democrats?

Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: martentrapper] #7544501
03/31/22 05:28 AM
03/31/22 05:28 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by martentrapper
At the end of the day, I can never figure out why people are haters in the trapping community.

No, politicians. We hate politicians, well, most of us anyway.

-Goofy-
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: henpecked1] #7544523
03/31/22 06:37 AM
03/31/22 06:37 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Is there some jealousy and bad mouthing of trappers here on TMan'er that's somehow unique?
Us trappers are a unique bunch but I think we are still part of the human race.
I think. grin

Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: henpecked1] #7544533
03/31/22 06:54 AM
03/31/22 06:54 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Mark June
Is there some jealousy and bad mouthing of trappers here on TMan'er that's somehow unique?
Us trappers are a unique bunch but I think we are still part of the human race.
I think. grin

Most days we're Human.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: martentrapper] #7544536
03/31/22 06:57 AM
03/31/22 06:57 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by martentrapper

And fence-sitters

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: Savell] #7544635
03/31/22 08:54 AM
03/31/22 08:54 AM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana

Lol, true. But still ain’t met one that could weld a broken heart or the crack of dawn.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: USMC47 🦫] #7544671
03/31/22 09:35 AM
03/31/22 09:35 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.

Lol, true. But still ain’t met one that could weld a broken heart or the crack of dawn.
True but I’ve known a few that thought they could walk on water! LOL Welding is a skill of creation and it’s that act of creation that is personal with a welder. Whether it’s the welder thinking he walks on water or the guy throwing seagull crap on a piece of pipe thinking the seagull did a great job of it, it’s personal to them.

Last edited by Seldom; 03/31/22 09:42 AM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: USMC47 🦫] #7544767
03/31/22 11:47 AM
03/31/22 11:47 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
[/quote]Lol, true. But still ain’t met one that could weld a broken heart or the crack of dawn.
[/quote]
Only Kenny Gee can mend a broken heart.
Check with Tony Orlando about the ........dawn thing...

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: henpecked1] #7546004
04/01/22 04:30 PM
04/01/22 04:30 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
I don't like liars, don't care what they catch or don't catch!

Alot of you 'youtube' trapper's have hero's who are just that, if they're talking (which they seem to be non stop on some video) you can bet they are lying, cause that is who they are!

Some older guys who periodically post on here have put up number's that would shock most but none of you would even know them if you walked by them at a convention, they don't need their ego stroked on a daily/weekly basis to make up for their lack luster life they live.

I don't sell lure and don't have any youtube video's that im aware of so im just a wanna be pro i guess.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Why all the jealousy and bad mouthing of Pro Trapp [Re: henpecked1] #7546008
04/01/22 04:43 PM
04/01/22 04:43 PM
New York ,Adirondack mts.
M
mole Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
mole  Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
M

New York ,Adirondack mts.
I had a good talk at NYSTA. convention. with a friend we all know and appreciate. He is as professional as they come. I asked him if he made a profit at the conventions he attends. He replied heavens no. We the dealers come to convention to support the organizations. we sell our products to our customers which does save them a little plus we get to talk with and provide demos for those that wish to attend.

That being said I have a lot of respect for the Pros. they go the extra mile for us. what they catch I like to hear about. I have learned, I have made friends , and we are still trapping I believe because they support you and me the way they do. thank you for your time. Happy Trails . see you at convention Ed

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread