No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Food Plot Seed. [Re: ozark trapper ia] #7547544
04/03/22 12:26 PM
04/03/22 12:26 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by ozark trapper ia
Welter seed Onslow IA

X2

Re: Food Plot Seed. [Re: redsnow] #7547695
04/03/22 04:26 PM
04/03/22 04:26 PM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
I mange 1500 acres of deer and turkey hunting ground. Missouri Southern Seed, Deer Creek, Handcock, Merrit, Millborn and the local ag supply businesses all get my money. If one doesn't have what you need then go somewhere else. I've also used the Whitetail Institute products and prairie mixes from Pheasants Forever. No complaints from any of them. Seed bed preparation is the most important aspect to me rivaling quality seed. I once worried about Hancock seed because it was out of Florida. No worries after using their products. Reputable dealers will have maps of suggested planting areas and dates. Very useful information. I plant multiple varieties of clovers either in standalone or variety mixes, winter wheat, oats, austrian winter peas, field corn, soybeans and alfalfa. Going to add some purple top turnips this summer. Planting techniques differ with the seed and management objectives. When it's all said and done, I like white clover varieties, winter wheat and carbs from either soybeans or corn. Soybeans are tough if you have small plots and very high density deer numbers. I had a 3.5 acre forage soybean field wiped out before September last year. ( we need to thin out the does). Clover is good for early spring, summer and fall. Not much there in tough winter conditions. Winter wheat is a favorite. Produces green browse from September through maybe June and then produces a good seed head. I also frost seed clovers into my winter wheat. Fall oats are great until the winter weather kills the plant here on the Iowa/ Missouri line. Spring oats are great if you follow with a fall planting of something else. One final observation. I once erroneously thought that the deer would utilize the more common clovers on the property and take some pressure off the soybeans. I was wrong! Deer will bypass everything else to feed on soybean leafs prior to the plants putting on the pods and filling them. That makes soybeans expensive green browse if you can't get the plants to the pod stage. Oh... and anything over say 20% protein that the deer can utilize is not needed for antler growth , lactation and body growth in younger animals. The food plot business is like everything else. Meaning something new and more expensive is more for the bottom line of the seller than the end user.

Last edited by All33; 04/03/22 04:28 PM.
Re: Food Plot Seed. [Re: redsnow] #7547831
04/03/22 07:02 PM
04/03/22 07:02 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
If you ever happen to be in the Dayton,VA area, Please check out sunny ridge supply. Lots of good suggestions so far.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Food Plot Seed. [Re: redsnow] #7547909
04/03/22 07:49 PM
04/03/22 07:49 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Seeds are the same where ever you get them. Ladino clover, dwarf rape, buckwheat, cereal rye ect.
As long as you read the label knowing exactly what you're getting.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Food Plot Seed. [Re: redsnow] #7547914
04/03/22 07:55 PM
04/03/22 07:55 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
Glad you found some, here we go to Albert Lee seed house, make sure to give it some time to germinate it may take awhile sometimes those little seeds are pretty hard.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread