No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552081
04/08/22 08:14 AM
04/08/22 08:14 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Lots of deer feeding happens.
I remember posts saying that introducing corn AFTER
the deer had switched to browse was unhealthy to the deer.
I do not remember proof, but it was an eye opener.
Some areas have standing corn year round while others have none.

Saw a really skinny doe yesterday. Fawn drop time?

Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552084
04/08/22 08:17 AM
04/08/22 08:17 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
I let the hot does bait the bucks in when I'm not tracking a buck on snow.

Nevada bound
Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552093
04/08/22 08:22 AM
04/08/22 08:22 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Dropping bait here is illegal

It can be grown

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Bainting deer [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7552128
04/08/22 08:52 AM
04/08/22 08:52 AM
Upper Michigan
M
Mack Offline
trapper
Mack  Offline
trapper
M

Upper Michigan
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Baiting in Michigan was legal, now it's not. Very hot topic here. Antler size and those that base the quality of the hunt around that have had a negative effect on the states deer hunters. So much so it has bled into other specie hunting and or trapping access. Deer hunting over a gallon of scattered bait is different than dumping a couple cubic yards. Excitement for deer hunting in Michigan has fallen along with the number of hunters. Every outdoors person that does not embrace or buy into the large antler group is automatically in a lower class. Our states DNR and one of the states supposed large pro outdoors groups have become one and the same. Too many hunters spend too much time worried about what the other hunter shoots or how.....Then we have arguments about whose method is right, Trad. bow v/s crossbow, Trad, muzzle loaders v/s inline, antler v/s meat, placed baiting v/s grown food plots.....

I agree with most of what you have posted. However, your first sentence is not correct. Baiting is illegal only in the Lower Peninsula.

Re: Bainting deer [Re: Mack] #7552131
04/08/22 08:55 AM
04/08/22 08:55 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by Mack
Baiting in Michigan was legal, now it's not. Very hot topic here. Antler size and those that base the quality of the hunt around that have had a negative effect on the states deer hunters. So much so it has bled into other specie hunting and or trapping access. Deer hunting over a gallon of scattered bait is different than dumping a couple cubic yards. Excitement for deer hunting in Michigan has fallen along with the number of hunters. Every outdoors person that does not embrace or buy into the large antler group is automatically in a lower class. Our states DNR and one of the states supposed large pro outdoors groups have become one and the same. Too many hunters spend too much time worried about what the other hunter shoots or how.....Then we have arguments about whose method is right, Trad. bow v/s crossbow, Trad, muzzle loaders v/s inline, antler v/s meat, placed baiting v/s grown food plots.....

I agree with most of what you have posted. However, your first sentence is not correct. Baiting is illegal only in the Lower Peninsula.

The upper peninsula is still open to baiting?

Nevada bound
Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552160
04/08/22 09:18 AM
04/08/22 09:18 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Playing Devils advocate here, but baiting has saved more deer, especially young bucks, than it’s killed. There was a time when it was a “brown it’s down” mentality. Now it’s not uncommon to see 15-30 deer per sit. Let the rut kick in and you’re seeing more bucks than does. We supplemental feed year round. Yes, we like big antlers. Yes, we manage our deer and even turkey populations. Yes we kill our limits (10) of does every year. Some years we even bring in hunters to shoot does. In my opinion the most stupid animal in the woods is a 3 year old or younger buck.
Not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but a lot of times corn will rot before it’s eaten when natural browse and mast is abundant. Most down here are feeding protein most of the year anyways. Not only does it help with antler growth, but it also ensures healthy fawns and recovery for the does after giving birth. What we’ve also noticed with protein and a doe management program that our deer weights have increased. Most 3 year old does or older will weigh over 150#. Most bucks that age are at or over the 200# weight.

Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552191
04/08/22 10:11 AM
04/08/22 10:11 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
NC has a pretty diverse environment. On the coastal plain, it's mainly pine and scrub so thick that an armadillo couldn't get through it. There is very little natural mast and browse is literally EVERYWHERE as is cover. Deer rarely use "trails" in this area they tend to wander in broad circles over a period of 4-7 days and rarely use the same path very often unless passing through a pinch point or crossing a ditch. It can be literally impossible to see a deer 25 feet away in some places. Baiting helps pull them out in to the open where they can at least be "seen." Keep in mind baiting is only allowed on private land. Average population is around 20 deer to the sq mile if you can see them.

The Piedmont in the middle of the state is a mix of deciduous and pine and the underbrush is considerably less dense. Mast crop is much greater and the mineral content in the soil is much greater. Baiting is still allowed, but used far less here.

Mountains have a lower deer population, and shorter deer seasons. Tons of mast and fairly open understory outside the stands or laurel. Baiting is still legal on private land, but again used far less due to the amount of acorns and other mast available.

So, a lot of you can't use bait, but you also have extremely open areas to hunt and must higher concentrations of mast crop. With all that said, Charles, I wouldn't participate in a "club baiting" I prefer to hunt my own areas, move as needed and only bait specific areas to draw them out of cover or into a small opening. When you have "club" baiting and "common stands" you start running into issues. But to answer the question, 1k in corn plus lease fees are a little much for my tastes and income.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Bainting deer [Re: WANNABE-TRAPPER] #7552276
04/08/22 12:14 PM
04/08/22 12:14 PM
S. Illinois
C
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper
Chuckles84  Offline
trapper
C

S. Illinois
Originally Posted by WANNABE-TRAPPER
Originally Posted by danny clifton
i am glad i never had to hunt like that

Hunting was always a means to get meat. Its how i grew up. I enjoy it but not enough to pay thousands of dollars just to kill an animal. They are not that delicious. Country here is starting to fill up too. More and more people every year. Open borders and tax breaks/welfare increase for having more kids, its going to keep getting worse.

People are having less kids. Way less

Not around here, cause more kids equals more welfare money.

Your entitled to oxygen. Everything else is earned.
Re: Bainting deer [Re: Wright Brothers] #7552288
04/08/22 12:26 PM
04/08/22 12:26 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Lots of deer feeding happens.
I remember posts saying that introducing corn AFTER
the deer had switched to browse was unhealthy to the deer.
I do not remember proof, but it was an eye opener.
Some areas have standing corn year round while others have none.

Saw a really skinny doe yesterday. Fawn drop time?

There is alot of maracky posted.

Nevada bound
Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552296
04/08/22 12:34 PM
04/08/22 12:34 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
If you don't bait here you will not see a deer unless maybe by accident. If there's not constant feed on the ground from the end of August until you are hunting it you have very little chance at seeing any deer period much less big deer due to every property around yours all having heavy bait on them some of which run 365 days a year. Growing up when baiting was only legal for archery season we could just sit the edges of a Wheatfield with a rifle and wait for the deer to pour out on it in the evening like grocery shopping. That doesn't happen anymore because they are all out of sight on a deer feeder somewhere so it better be yours if you want to kill something. I know individual hunters that hunt 160 acres and feed $500 worth of corn a month.

Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552299
04/08/22 12:37 PM
04/08/22 12:37 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Originally Posted by charles
My NC club probably spends $1000 or more per year on shelled corn. Squirrels and turkeys eat more than deer. When I first started hunting deer, we killed more deer than we do today and did not bait. Now we kill larger bucks because we pass on small deer.

Just wondering. There is surely a price point where baiting does not make sense. What are your clubs doing? I am certain that baiting brings deer from other farms over to our lease, which gives us an advantage.

Farming has changed a lot. Not much crop waste anymore. Peanuts are an exception.

Original Post

olden tyred
Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552301
04/08/22 12:39 PM
04/08/22 12:39 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
We do the food plot thing to keep the does happy. Happy does happy bucks.
We feed just about year around with our food plots. So we are really helping the deer In our area.

Last edited by The Beav; 04/08/22 12:40 PM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552367
04/08/22 02:12 PM
04/08/22 02:12 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
It all helps the deer populations.

Nevada bound
Re: Bainting deer [Re: KeithC] #7552390
04/08/22 02:55 PM
04/08/22 02:55 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by KeithC
$1000.00 worth of shell corn is not much corn for a single hunter to use as bait, much less an entire club, unless it is only put out for a very short time period, in a very few spots.

Keith

Put it in a feeder that has a timer . It cuts down on waste and saves tons of money. The deer will get used to when the feeder goes off. I have on PVC pipe feeder that holds 100 lbs. I bait starting in sept just to see the bucks on the property. I don't spend anything like 1,000. At 15 bucks a hundred that's 128 50 lb bags. THATS a lot of corn. More like 1,000 lbs Is closer to normal than 1,000 dollars per hunter. I would think....

Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552411
04/08/22 03:29 PM
04/08/22 03:29 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
In Mo it's illegal to hunt over bait, or even the spot it was located on for at least 10 days after the bait is all gone.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Bainting deer [Re: Wanna Be] #7552438
04/08/22 04:13 PM
04/08/22 04:13 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Playing Devils advocate here, but baiting has saved more deer, especially young bucks, than it’s killed. There was a time when it was a “brown it’s down” mentality. Now it’s not uncommon to see 15-30 deer per sit. Let the rut kick in and you’re seeing more bucks than does. We supplemental feed year round. Yes, we like big antlers. Yes, we manage our deer and even turkey populations. Yes we kill our limits (10) of does every year. Some years we even bring in hunters to shoot does. In my opinion the most stupid animal in the woods is a 3 year old or younger buck.
Not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but a lot of times corn will rot before it’s eaten when natural browse and mast is abundant. Most down here are feeding protein most of the year anyways. Not only does it help with antler growth, but it also ensures healthy fawns and recovery for the does after giving birth. What we’ve also noticed with protein and a doe management program that our deer weights have increased. Most 3 year old does or older will weigh over 150#. Most bucks that age are at or over the 200# weight.

If the bait is Spread out so the Animals forage ...not in piles to congregate nose to nose. I'd Agree

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Bainting deer [Re: BigBob] #7552445
04/08/22 04:25 PM
04/08/22 04:25 PM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
Originally Posted by BigBob
In Mo it's illegal to hunt over bait, or even the spot it was located on for at least 10 days after the bait is all gone.

but you can hunt over a food plot or a freshly bushhogged/combined field. It's really no better.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Bainting deer [Re: Rye] #7552447
04/08/22 04:27 PM
04/08/22 04:27 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by Rye
Originally Posted by BigBob

but you can hunt over a food plot or a freshly bushhogged/combined field. It's really no better.

Clover field,apple orchard,oak trees,beach nut trees,etc.....the list goes on and on.All baiting.

Nevada bound
Re: Bainting deer [Re: Mack] #7552453
04/08/22 04:33 PM
04/08/22 04:33 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Originally Posted by Mack

All true don't forget the seasons starting in Sept thru Jan. crop permits and disease permits and usda shooters whom have found placing corn 2 weeks before a shoot enhances their success Add neighbors that tell you what to do and shoot on your own property Has taken most of the fun out of hunting

olden tyred
Re: Bainting deer [Re: charles] #7552455
04/08/22 04:36 PM
04/08/22 04:36 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I Don't believe that for 1 minute

Growing an attractant is a long term food source. And provides for the herd.

NRA and NTA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread