Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
How dry does fur need to be for the tannery #7556447
04/12/22 07:07 PM
04/12/22 07:07 PM
Mississippi
M
MSturkeyhunter Offline OP
trapper
MSturkeyhunter  Offline OP
trapper
M

Mississippi
First year trapper, started trapping for nest predator control but ended up developing a new addiction. I have been salting my hides and drying them vs putting them up because I’m just sending them to the tannery. I do want to get set up for stretching and air drying eventually but this is what I came up with for this year. Some of my furs have spots that are dry to the touch but can still bend, they also have not turned white. They don’t have slippage. Do they need to be completely rock hard or is this good enough? They have been up for over a week. I don’t have the greatest temps because I live in south Louisiana but I do have a fan on them with a dehumidifier in the room. Temp is usually about 68.

Re: How dry does fur need to be for the tannery [Re: MSturkeyhunter] #7556826
04/13/22 03:08 AM
04/13/22 03:08 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Even salted skins that have dried rock hard will get floppy in high humidity.
This is because salt is hygroscopic and will draw moisture out of the air.
In either case,the hair wont slip,you can send them to the tanner.
One problem you should be aware of is that if you bend or fold a salted pelt (that has dried hard)_enough to crease it,it can crack and damage the pelt.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How dry does fur need to be for the tannery [Re: Boco] #7556977
04/13/22 08:12 AM
04/13/22 08:12 AM
Mississippi
M
MSturkeyhunter Offline OP
trapper
MSturkeyhunter  Offline OP
trapper
M

Mississippi
Thank you Boco, that’s what I was hoping to hear!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread