No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
The season may be over...but... #7555980
04/12/22 09:01 AM
04/12/22 09:01 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I've really got back into the firearms side of predator control over the last two years. It is definitely less labor intensive as trapping although I am still crazy about trapping. I did some changing around on the firearms. I sold off a couple rifles and my night vision scope. I am going all thermal this coming season. Last year I had two great guys come from Pennsylvania for a three day pheasant hunt for the FTA adventure auctions which was a success but after talking with Robert this year I am going to change directions and offer a couple nights of predator hunting. I figure it's not something I've seen out there too often. Plus I am really enjoying the wild ride it has been.

Here's the latest predator machine. I had all thermal/night vision and I was looking for a daytime rig. I did have a number of days open last year to call and although thermal worked I was wanting to go traditional. I went back and forth for quite some time and finally decided upon a Bergara 6.5 Creedmore. I was leaning towards Christensen Arms but couldn't bring myself to pay $2300 for a coyote killer. At some point I do want to get their modern pistol and add a suppressor. I currently have a the paperwork in for a suppressor that will cover my .17 for raccoon calling. For the glass I settled on the Vortex Venom 5-25x56. I am going to bang some steel at 1000 just to say I can do it. It's been so windy here I haven't even got it outside of my house yet. Although I prefer a heavier load they had around 100 boxes of 95 g so I just stocked up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The last hunt of the year for me. I'm a little sleepy after going all night I am not getting any younger. 43 raccoons in about a 12 hour period. Probably won't have that kind of weather or night in quite some time. I'm already ready to get back after it.

[Linked Image]

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7556067
04/12/22 11:01 AM
04/12/22 11:01 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
That's great! Keep us updated

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7556092
04/12/22 11:25 AM
04/12/22 11:25 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Seems like the creed is a bit strong for fur. What are you expecting for fur damage? Did you skin the coons?

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: martentrapper] #7556103
04/12/22 11:40 AM
04/12/22 11:40 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Seems like the creed is a bit strong for fur. What are you expecting for fur damage? Did you skin the coons?

Following

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: martentrapper] #7556105
04/12/22 11:43 AM
04/12/22 11:43 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by martentrapper

I did quite a bit of researching and reading. Honestly, any load above a .17 had potential for fur damage. I shot right at 50 coyotes last year with soft point .223 and still had fur damage at times. I think it comes down more to shot placement then the actual cartridge used. The V-Max will splash about like anything if they hit bone, however, the reviews were very good if the shot placement was correct. I'm also not really concerned with fur damage at this point just looking to remove coyotes and even a coyote without fur damage here in Nebraska there isn't much of a market there. I don't expect any runners with the 6.5 that's for sure and the more I get into it the more I am creeping towards some of the tournaments. I sat out all of the coyote tournaments locally this year but could have made a pretty good run at most of them hearing the numbers. No we did not skin the raccoons we sold them for a $1-$1.50 (I can't remember exactly) average on the carcass at the tournament and gave the money back to the fire hall that was hosting it for a fundraiser. I am hoping to expand out with my calling this year as I'd say a majority of the 50 I shot came from about an 8-10 square mile radius. I'd like to hit new ground for calling and see if I can get past 100. I stopped counting raccoons sometime throughout the season but it was easily in the mid-hundreds.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 04/12/22 11:45 AM.

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7556367
04/12/22 05:35 PM
04/12/22 05:35 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Also have had a little time to get the youngin out and about. He’s taking to fishing more than anything. Still don’t think he’s quite ready to go explore the dark with me. He moves way too fast for me to feel real safe in the dark with him but he’s definitely got the itch for the outdoors.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7556376
04/12/22 05:47 PM
04/12/22 05:47 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I'd say wear him out fishing and maybe he will want to sleep at night but I remember my own boy at that age. His batteries recharged a lot faster than mine do LOL

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: Leftlane] #7556991
04/13/22 08:30 AM
04/13/22 08:30 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Leftlane
I'd say wear him out fishing and maybe he will want to sleep at night but I remember my own boy at that age. His batteries recharged a lot faster than mine do LOL

That's for sure I'd be the one in trouble. I used to work nights so if I hit a certain point I have no trouble staying up. He had a pretty good time this year trapping for a few days. I assume we'll have to catch some more for a week or two this season again. There's some six year old cat fish in that pond that should be getting pretty good sized. It's fun to see when one takes off with his worm pole in between bluegill. It's quite a fight for the little man.

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7557103
04/13/22 11:03 AM
04/13/22 11:03 AM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
What caliber are you using for night hunting coons? I have an ATN day/night scope I am not using now I could put on something. My thermal is on my hog tun. What type of light are you using - IR Emitter or a standard white light. I looked at your website - but couldnt really tell too much about your coon hunting set up. How long do you give it at one spot before moving on. How far apart are your sets? What is best time of year? Thanks

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7557119
04/13/22 11:18 AM
04/13/22 11:18 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

That is the good stuff Wade! They don't stay little for long so make due while you can.

My boy stared fishing when he was 2 which meant I basically quit fishing. I would spend each new trip baiting his hook, getting his hang ups free, and taking bird's nests for him. That went on for nearly 8 years and by the time I could pick up my own pole again, he had gained a lot of skill. Maybe too much.

Now whenever we go, he either catches the most fish or the biggest the little turkey!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WhiteCliffs] #7558016
04/14/22 10:16 AM
04/14/22 10:16 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by WhiteCliffs
What caliber are you using for night hunting coons? I have an ATN day/night scope I am not using now I could put on something. My thermal is on my hog tun. What type of light are you using - IR Emitter or a standard white light. I looked at your website - but couldnt really tell too much about your coon hunting set up. How long do you give it at one spot before moving on. How far apart are your sets? What is best time of year? Thanks

Disclaimer I have used about everything in the past for raccoons, 22LR, 22 mag, shotgun, etc. I have been very happy with the .17 HMR in the past. I am currently shooting the Ruger Precision in that caliber and I am set up on three different reticles now on my thermal. I have one set at 25 yards, one at 50 yards, and one at 100. The .17 is very flat. I can essentially put it on their head depending on range and they don't move a step. The night we got in the contest it was much needed as I probably added 10 raccoons that were out around 100 that just wouldn't commit to the call as it was late in the year and they were a bit call shy.

I used the ATN night vision day/night which I just got rid of as it's much faster to find the racoons with thermal. I was hunting with others that would switch and before I could find them in the NV they were already sleeping. I used the Nightsnipe IR which was an extra $150 but that day/night scope is only as good as the IR on it. We generally wouldn't wait more than 5 minutes between sets when we were in the tournament and we would move as little as a 1/4 mile depending on the terrain. They were either there or they weren't. The most we had was 7 raccoons out of one brush pile. We didn't get any of those as we couldn't get them to charge but we did see them all on the pile. The most raccoons we shot at one stand last year was 7, the whole family kept coming and we kept taking them, I believe one of the videos posted is the last two of the 7.

We started calling very early this year and I'll tell you the earliest you can call the better. There's still some pressure down here for calling raccoons and it's a full on war early on in the year when they haven't heard the calls before. We went about every Friday night of the season this year. We did find success after they were pressured with switching to distressed blue jay or probably any other bird call as it gets them to look out of their dens when they won't respond to fights. Honestly, the call most people overlook in our area for raccoons is distressed rabbit. They love it. I call them often when trying to kill coyotes.

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7561113
04/17/22 08:15 AM
04/17/22 08:15 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Took him to a new spot yesterday. He’s getting the nack for dragging them in alone for sure. Wore him right out was asleep before I got the gate closed heading out. Wind was blowing about 20 and pretty chilly yet so I took him down to a spillway. One of the only ponds I know that still holds blue cats. Got the rifle in good enough to hit the 200 yard target pretty well. Will need to fine tune it yet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7561140
04/17/22 08:29 AM
04/17/22 08:29 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Awesome pictures.

Nevada bound
Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7561146
04/17/22 08:32 AM
04/17/22 08:32 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Very Nice!!!!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7561152
04/17/22 08:35 AM
04/17/22 08:35 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Great pics!!

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: The season may be over...but... [Re: WadeRyan] #7561153
04/17/22 08:36 AM
04/17/22 08:36 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Looks like a great day!