No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557534
04/13/22 06:53 PM
04/13/22 06:53 PM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Just what I expected. LOL

Ahhhh, good. You are well aware smile

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557555
04/13/22 07:04 PM
04/13/22 07:04 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
LEO's are human. Some are happy go lucky, some are wrapped way too tight. I was a commissioned Michigan Volunteer Conservation Officer for many years when I was younger. It was sort of like a reserve officer. Back in the day, when I first was commissioned, it was a no-nonsense type deal. I would be picked up by the local uniformed officer and he would hand me a snub-nosed .38 and a Kel Lite. I simply had that guys back, as well as being another set of eyes to look for foolishness from the public. I enjoyed the heck out of it, and have some great stories, but in all honesty, it was doing game warden work that made me realize that I did NOT want to be a full-time officer.....or at least gave me a big dose of reality as to what these folks really do nowadays. The romantic days of the old fashioned "Fishcop" are long gone. There is so much B.S. involved these days that isn't fishin/huntin/trappin related......stuff like ORV's, snowmobiles, environmental law, etc. not to mention the whole people-are-dipsticks thingy where you end up dealing with some bonehead that feels the laws shouldn't apply to him because, well, just because! I was raised by functional alcoholics that would, at regular intervals, become dysfunctional. The result of that is that as a grown up vintage aged old Redneck, I no longer have any tolerance of drunks or idiots . Good luck, Jerry, I hope you enjoy the change of pace, but please, from a cyber-pal you likely will never actually meet, be careful out there!

Last edited by J.Morse; 04/22/22 06:31 PM. Reason: Avoiding the Profanity filter

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557556
04/13/22 07:05 PM
04/13/22 07:05 PM
Minnesota
M
MNTrapper21 Offline
trapper
MNTrapper21  Offline
trapper
M

Minnesota
The DNR in MN is a joke

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557559
04/13/22 07:10 PM
04/13/22 07:10 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Looking forward to some good stories this summer, Law Dog.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557562
04/13/22 07:17 PM
04/13/22 07:17 PM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
I have 2 good friends whom i worked with in fish and game who are retired game wardens. They both knew how to treat people. They werent the typical leo with a little man problem that required them to treat people all as criminals and that they themselves were perfect. One even told me if he had been caught as a young man doing some things he wouldnt have been a game warden. People grow and change.. Few are able to accomplish that. Many are just after the power.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557593
04/13/22 07:58 PM
04/13/22 07:58 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Like and respect most of the ones around here. There's always one or 2 that leave a sour feeling but give them the benefit of the doubt that they had a bad day. One local has my number and one of tje guys at work. When they get a lion in from our area to check that has trap damage or signs of being in a trap at somepoint we get a call to see if we've released one or had a pull out. Even got checked by a federal guy a couple years ago, he was impressed that we were using steel shot because we weren't sure if it was required and wanted to be lawful. He did seem disappointed when he tracked us for a mile later that day and realized who we were and not other hunters with the permit. I think mostly he was wanting harvest info .

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Badger23] #7557605
04/13/22 08:14 PM
04/13/22 08:14 PM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
When I was wearing the green, the person or persons I was contacting usually controlled how things went. I came in as a friendly sort just doing my job while actually paying careful attention to the situation that I was walking into. An attitude of acknowledgment that I had a job to do usually meant a smooth interaction for everyone. A poor attitude or threatening attitude caused the contact to be more rigid. I always treated people the way I would want to be treated. In over 32 years in the field, I had both youngsters ask for my autograph and adults threaten to kill me. Being a law enforcement officer contacting people that are recreating is different than other types of law enforcement. If a state, county or local officer hits the red lights, you already know you screwed up. If a Game Warden shows up for a quick chat and check, many more times than not, no citations are issued. Yes, Wardens do need to be thorough. Illegal game is stashed in every conceivable place you can think of. Clothing, multiple stringers, some in plain view, some hidden or even hidden in special compartments. Wildlife in plain view is almost always legal, It's the ones that are hidden that a warden really wants to see. A warden will look at your hands, boots, clothes, knife, bow quiver etc... looking for a drop of dried blood after he or she has been told you haven't had any luck. People lie on a continual basis to Game Wardens. Sometimes it's very hard to not become jaded. Almost all of the wardens that I worked with hunted, fished and a high percentage had trapping experience. A warden can also be a great asset to a trapper. As with all groups of people wardens have bad days and a small number may well be in the wrong profession. As with TV shows... I think we all realize that the editing will convey how things are actually portrayed. After firsthand observations on the filming of hunting shows, I can attest to their "creative" slant. So, I wouldn't take every scene on any of the game warden shows as gospel. It's defiantly not all excitement. There's a bunch of time sitting out by yourself, and that can actually be pretty boring. Think sitting in a patrol truck with no lights whatsoever on a ridge from first dark until the early morning hours waiting for a spotlighter or nightscope shooter to come past your location. When illegal activity does happen in those situations, it's actually better than bagging a good buck.
To sum up my post, Wardens are NOT your enemy! Stay honest, friendly and ethical and you will get the benefit of the doubt when contacted in the field. Wardens enter their chosen field because they have a deep appreciation for the things that draw each one of us into the same fields., timber, prairies and marshes.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557607
04/13/22 08:16 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
I hope you have a great time doing it. I've never encountered a game warden here that was anything but nice and respectful. Perhaps these North Carolina game wardens are a different breed than other folks have had experiences with.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: All33] #7557608
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by All33
When I was wearing the green, the person or persons I was contacting usually controlled how things went. I came in as a friendly sort just doing my job while actually paying careful attention to the situation that I was walking into. An attitude of acknowledgment that I had a job to do usually meant a smooth interaction for everyone. A poor attitude or threatening attitude caused the contact to be more rigid. I always treated people the way I would want to be treated. In over 32 years in the field, I had both youngsters ask for my autograph and adults threaten to kill me. Being a law enforcement officer contacting people that are recreating is different than other types of law enforcement. If a state, county or local officer hits the red lights, you already know you screwed up. If a Game Warden shows up for a quick chat and check, many more times than not, no citations are issued. Yes, Wardens do need to be thorough. Illegal game is stashed in every conceivable place you can think of. Clothing, multiple stringers, some in plain view, some hidden or even hidden in special compartments. Wildlife in plain view is almost always legal, It's the ones that are hidden that a warden really wants to see. A warden will look at your hands, boots, clothes, knife, bow quiver etc... looking for a drop of dried blood after he or she has been told you haven't had any luck. People lie on a continual basis to Game Wardens. Sometimes it's very hard to not become jaded. Almost all of the wardens that I worked with hunted, fished and a high percentage had trapping experience. A warden can also be a great asset to a trapper. As with all groups of people wardens have bad days and a small number may well be in the wrong profession. As with TV shows... I think we all realize that the editing will convey how things are actually portrayed. After firsthand observations on the filming of hunting shows, I can attest to their "creative" slant. So, I wouldn't take every scene on any of the game warden shows as gospel. It's defiantly not all excitement. There's a bunch of time sitting out by yourself, and that can actually be pretty boring. Think sitting in a patrol truck with no lights whatsoever on a ridge from first dark until the early morning hours waiting for a spotlighter or nightscope shooter to come past your location. When illegal activity does happen in those situations, it's actually better than bagging a good buck.
To sum up my post, Wardens are NOT your enemy! Stay honest, friendly and ethical and you will get the benefit of the doubt when contacted in the field. Wardens enter their chosen field because they have a deep appreciation for the things that draw each one of us into the same fields., timber, prairies and marshes.

All the facts! Thanks for your service!

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557615
04/13/22 08:25 PM
04/13/22 08:25 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I have never had a problem with a Kansas game warden. Forgot a snare once pulling traps and got a ticket. 100% on me. Warden was still polite and respectful.

Talking to the local guy a few days ago. Told me he is now working in 6 counties. KS is having a hard time keeping them. Sorry wages I think is the problem. License fees just go into the general fund.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557621
04/13/22 08:30 PM
04/13/22 08:30 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I prospected fur and got permissions when pulling a grain trailer and a belt trailer. Hauling grain and distillers to feed lots and dairys all over the state of Kansas. Your saying that was wrong? I was driving somebody elses truck for wages.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557623
04/13/22 08:31 PM
04/13/22 08:31 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Very cool opportunity.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: All33] #7557635
04/13/22 08:42 PM
04/13/22 08:42 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

I couldn't have said it better!!!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557640
04/13/22 08:46 PM
04/13/22 08:46 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
In today's World, many State NR Depts. and USFWS would rather recruit from the "concrete jungle" or persons having never been involved with hunting, fishing, or similar pursuit outdoor activities so that there is less chance for those persons to have "involvement conflicts".

Last edited by SJA; 04/13/22 08:48 PM.

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: SJA] #7557645
04/13/22 08:53 PM
04/13/22 08:53 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by SJA
In today's World, many State NR Depts. and USFWS would rather recruit from the "concrete jungle" or persons having never been involved with hunting, fishing, or similar pursuit outdoor activities so that there is less chance for those persons to have "involvement conflicts".

That's not the reason. There are actually fewer qualified applicants that desire the job...or any LE job. It has nothing to do with involvement conflicts.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 04/13/22 08:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: SJA] #7557647
04/13/22 08:54 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Sounds like a darn good job to help fill in between things.
Cool

Mac

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: All33] #7557648
SE Missouri.
P
Pirogue Offline
trapper
Pirogue  Offline
trapper
P

SE Missouri.

You weren't in SE MO were you ?

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7557649
04/13/22 08:56 PM
04/13/22 08:56 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by SJA

That's not the reason. There are actually fewer qualified applicants that desite the job...or any LE job. It has nothing to do with involvement conflicts.

Yes, it is just another facet in the hiring process whether anyone wants to realize it or not.

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557654
04/13/22 09:02 PM
04/13/22 09:02 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

SJA,
Not sure of where you got that info, but a couple years ago I contacted 23 state game & fish agencies about their hiring procedures and any problems they were experiencing. I did this for Georgia DNR LE as I was selected to gather this info in preparation for us to make some changes in our hiring process and retention.

The "involvement conflict" you speak of was never mentioned by any state agency.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7557657
04/13/22 09:07 PM
04/13/22 09:07 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
SJA,
Not sure of where you got that info, but a couple years ago I contacted 23 state game & fish agencies about their hiring procedures and any problems they were experiencing. I did this for Georgia DNR LE as I was selected to gather this info in preparation for us to make some changes in our hiring process and retention.

The "involvement conflict" you speak of was never mentioned by any state agency.

Did you really expect to have that subject brought up?? . . . not going to happen. Experience and knowledge are great teachers. Have a good evening :-)

Dr. Phillip Snow
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread