No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Pirogue] #7557674
04/13/22 09:34 PM
04/13/22 09:34 PM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
Mercer County on the Missouri/ Iowa line.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: SJA] #7557692
04/13/22 10:03 PM
04/13/22 10:03 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by SJA
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
SJA,
Not sure of where you got that info, but a couple years ago I contacted 23 state game & fish agencies about their hiring procedures and any problems they were experiencing. I did this for Georgia DNR LE as I was selected to gather this info in preparation for us to make some changes in our hiring process and retention.

The "involvement conflict" you speak of was never mentioned by any state agency.

Did you really expect to have that subject brought up?? . . . not going to happen. Experience and knowledge are great teachers. Have a good evening :-)

Swamp provided his experience and knowledge, now lets hear yours...?

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: SJA] #7557694
04/13/22 10:06 PM
04/13/22 10:06 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Online happy
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Online Happy
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by SJA
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
SJA,
Not sure of where you got that info, but a couple years ago I contacted 23 state game & fish agencies about their hiring procedures and any problems they were experiencing. I did this for Georgia DNR LE as I was selected to gather this info in preparation for us to make some changes in our hiring process and retention.

The "involvement conflict" you speak of was never mentioned by any state agency.

Did you really expect to have that subject brought up?? . . . not going to happen. Experience and knowledge are great teachers. Have a good evening :-)

You brought it up.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557700
04/13/22 10:20 PM
04/13/22 10:20 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
In my area we have had several good wardens over the years with one exception who thought he was Wyatt Earp. Outstate I never had a bad experience and the best encounters were with Wyoming wardens on different occasions.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: MNTrapper21] #7557715
04/13/22 10:38 PM
04/13/22 10:38 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted by MNTrapper21
The DNR in MN is a joke
No comment.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557726
04/13/22 10:45 PM
04/13/22 10:45 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Congrats

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557785
04/14/22 03:43 AM
04/14/22 03:43 AM
Michigan
WTT03 Offline
trapper
WTT03  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Congratulations on the new gig!

I personally have dealt with multiple Michigan state CO's in the field, Wyoming F&G in the field, Texas Game Wardens in the field and USFW officers in the field over the years while both fishing and hunting. I have never once had a bad experience with ANY of them. All were very polite, professional, courteous and even occasionally apologetic that they were disrupting my outing. As was stated above, go in to the situation politely, with respect and realize they have a difficult but important job to do and things will go smoothly. I actually made friends with a couple of them and received some really good tips on fishing and hunting locations over the years. Common courtesy goes a long way......from BOTH sides obviously.

Todd
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557841
04/14/22 07:04 AM
04/14/22 07:04 AM
PA
M
marathonman Offline
trapper
marathonman  Offline
trapper
M

PA
I have always tried and treated a warden with respect . And for the most part I have always been treated the same way back.It works well for me as in everything I do.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: marathonman] #7557875
04/14/22 07:39 AM
04/14/22 07:39 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by marathonman
I have always tried and treated a warden with respect . And for the most part I have always been treated the same way back.It works well for me as in everything I do.

Same here. I consider our GW a friend. I also know he would nail me to the wall if I did something stupid. Out here they need to have good relationships with folks to do their job. He’s a one man show. I think he covers 4-5 county’s all by himself. Just a guess it’s probably 2500-3000 square miles.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557880
04/14/22 07:45 AM
04/14/22 07:45 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I encountered a game warden in CO a few years back I wouldnt pee on if he was on fire. Out of all the times I have been checked, in multiple states, trapping hunting and fishing, he was the only one.

In fact as a truck driver I have had dealings with many L.E. officers tasked with D.O.T. enforcement , highway patrol, sheriff deputies, and city cops. The percentage of jerks is some higher than game wardens I have encountered, but most of them were polite as well.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557895
04/14/22 08:08 AM
04/14/22 08:08 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Have fun Jerry.
Any special training involved?

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: All33] #7557916
04/14/22 08:30 AM
04/14/22 08:30 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by All33
When I was wearing the green, the person or persons I was contacting usually controlled how things went. I came in as a friendly sort just doing my job while actually paying careful attention to the situation that I was walking into. An attitude of acknowledgment that I had a job to do usually meant a smooth interaction for everyone. A poor attitude or threatening attitude caused the contact to be more rigid. I always treated people the way I would want to be treated. In over 32 years in the field, I had both youngsters ask for my autograph and adults threaten to kill me. Being a law enforcement officer contacting people that are recreating is different than other types of law enforcement. If a state, county or local officer hits the red lights, you already know you screwed up. If a Game Warden shows up for a quick chat and check, many more times than not, no citations are issued. Yes, Wardens do need to be thorough. Illegal game is stashed in every conceivable place you can think of. Clothing, multiple stringers, some in plain view, some hidden or even hidden in special compartments. Wildlife in plain view is almost always legal, It's the ones that are hidden that a warden really wants to see. A warden will look at your hands, boots, clothes, knife, bow quiver etc... looking for a drop of dried blood after he or she has been told you haven't had any luck. People lie on a continual basis to Game Wardens. Sometimes it's very hard to not become jaded. Almost all of the wardens that I worked with hunted, fished and a high percentage had trapping experience. A warden can also be a great asset to a trapper. As with all groups of people wardens have bad days and a small number may well be in the wrong profession. As with TV shows... I think we all realize that the editing will convey how things are actually portrayed. After firsthand observations on the filming of hunting shows, I can attest to their "creative" slant. So, I wouldn't take every scene on any of the game warden shows as gospel. It's defiantly not all excitement. There's a bunch of time sitting out by yourself, and that can actually be pretty boring. Think sitting in a patrol truck with no lights whatsoever on a ridge from first dark until the early morning hours waiting for a spotlighter or nightscope shooter to come past your location. When illegal activity does happen in those situations, it's actually better than bagging a good buck.
To sum up my post, Wardens are NOT your enemy! Stay honest, friendly and ethical and you will get the benefit of the doubt when contacted in the field. Wardens enter their chosen field because they have a deep appreciation for the things that draw each one of us into the same fields., timber, prairies and marshes.

Awesome

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7557995
04/14/22 09:49 AM
04/14/22 09:49 AM
SD
653 Offline
trapper
653  Offline
trapper

SD
never had a bad experience with a warden, always left with a good feeling about experience and more good info on what i was trying to hunt ,fish, or trap. even as a kid when i deserved more

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7558010
04/14/22 10:12 AM
04/14/22 10:12 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Its easy dealing with wardens when you NEVER encounter one. In 23 years of driving and hunting, trapping and fishing on my own, ive never been checked or even seen a game warden’s vehicle while hunting or trapping and have only seen a couple drive by while on a lake. Both SD and IA.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7558036
04/14/22 10:39 AM
04/14/22 10:39 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Maybe I'm just lucky but in over 45 years of trapping/hunting and fishing in several different states, I've not had a bad encounter with a Game Warden. And I fractured a few game laws when I was young. Because of those interactions, I've trapped next to them, with them, ridden with them and had dinner with them and their families. Some I would call true friends today (all because of those initial interactions).

So I have to wonder about all the guys that had bad interactions with the wardens...was it really the warden?

Kind of like the guy or girl who's been married 4 times but they all ended bad because of the other person. Hmmmmm

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7558042
04/14/22 10:45 AM
04/14/22 10:45 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Online mad
trapper
Northof50  Online Mad
trapper
N

Manitoba
So does this mean you will have a GAG ORDER this summer LawDog
we will sure miss your post if that is the case.

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: T-Rex] #7558053
04/14/22 11:14 AM
04/14/22 11:14 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Originally Posted by MNTrapper21
The DNR in MN is a joke

X1000!! I have had no issues with any game wardens in any state I've ever hunted, trapped, or fished, except for MN

There is a warden up around Bemidji, MN who gave me lots of trouble

Never had any other issues in fishing and hunting in 17 other states

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7558093
04/14/22 12:04 PM
04/14/22 12:04 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Papers came today for a summer position along the Missouri River parks system 4 months between the major holidays. The pay is to good to pass up, they try to kill you with paperwork but that’s a onetime deal or most of it is I hope. eek

It’s down in my cat trapping area so that could be beneficial for learning more about the areas and finding possible cat locations and meet some landowners in the areas. It’s a long stretch of river I have a camper to use if needed but I’d rather do the drive home and sleep in my own bed unless the schedule says otherwise.

It should be interesting so one more thing off of the bucket list.

I always thought it would be a fun career, but then I realized you're working and hardly able to enjoy the outdoors yourself during the peak times (such as deer season etc. ). I've never had an issue with them they are just doing their job. I've remained on pretty good terms with our current one and he's even drove to my house to tag bobcats which he really has no requirement to do. One of my buddies is the county supervisor for roads I felt like I hit the lottery when I started hunting with him at night. He talks to landowners regarding access bridges etc. daily and it's opened up a world of hunting opportunities.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Law Dog] #7558116
04/14/22 12:35 PM
04/14/22 12:35 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Sad to hear so many stories of bad encounters with DWR people !!

My self have never had a bad one with many of them I have encountered, I have a fur buyers license here, am an avid outdoors person, have fur coming and going all year long, get stopped or met most times when in the outdoors, due to being recognized from one to another. Most times they are just interested in how my business is going, any tips needed or asking if I've seen any thing suspicious any where.

I've had them check my fur shed at 2 in the morning some times after some one reported see me unload a large delivery truck of fur that had come from a Alaska dealer I had bought from earlier in the day. They have the right to search anytime but only did it a couple times. I sort of had a feeling it was going to happen due to a nosey neighbor watching what was being unloaded, all they asked for was proof of CITES and receipts, when shown all those they just ran their hands thru the fur like anyone else does that never see's these animals, even apologized for having to come check. Yes they were looking for a haul or bust, but I proved legit over whelming them, with past history with them.

Yea some have ego's and a couple died with them showing that here in the west, not pretty either, however most only doing their job they like to do and that most others are fearful to attempt to do.

I support them all until they prove they don't need it anymore !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: So you want to be a Game Warden [Re: Badger23] #7558127
04/14/22 12:44 PM
04/14/22 12:44 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Badger23
Well I hope it works out for you. I watch North Woods Law a lot and it's actually made me glad I don't live in Maine or New Hampshire. To me their attitude is you're guilty unless you can prove you're innocent. I've kinda turned anti-warden more so than before since I've been watching it.

My wife likes to watch it, so I get sucked into it too sometimes. I agree with everything you are saying about them considering you guilty unless you can prove you're innocent.

I will watch Lone Star Law. They are a little more lenient than the North Woods Law wardens. Although, I have to wonder if that's more for TV than actual reality. Often they will catch someone fishing without a license and illegal sized fish. They will give a citation for only one of the illegal sized fish and tell the person if they get a license in the next 24 hours they will just get a warning for fishing without a license. In MN in real life, it doesn't happen that way. They would throw the book at you.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread