No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Why do people do this ? #7558687
04/14/22 11:00 PM
04/14/22 11:00 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
So y'all know I like building stuff and sharing pics or making how to's right ? Well something I ALWAYS SEE with anything from a rod holder to a hog trap is people have to talk about how they could do it sooo much simpler. Why ? I really don't get that. Like I get constructive criticism, I love it for the most part because usually good criticism actually makes me end up making something work better. But honestly alot of what I see isn't that. For instance I made a rod holder that pivoted , locked in place at each angle had a nut for driving it into the bank just every thing I wanted in a rod holder from my experiences fishing I put into that. Ok made a post explaining what I had med the features why I did what I did yadda yadda and asked what could be improved possibly. For every actually helpful critique I got ( add a anti spin here or make the stake longer there ,coat this part with XYZ) I got like five people saying stuff along the lines of " well I don't get why you need that all you gotta do is drive a piece of PVC into the bank !" That or it's a picture of a y stick propping up their rod or them just holding it.And it's like ummm ok you want a cookie or something? Like I just plain Don't get it. And I see this CONSTANTLY not just on my stuff but anything. I mean yeah I guess I I rode up in a buggy pulled by goats insisting it's 10x better then a modern car then yeah but why is it whenever someone it's trying to make someone new or improve something eveyone leaves their coats at the door rushing out to not give actual constrictive criticism but just talk about how much better they can do it with some bubble gum and a 9volt battery ? Even when you explain this is for a special deal and not for everything,everytime so on and so on it's like that just breeze though all that and explain how it's not good for abcdefg....even though you already said that tired
And even if you see a bunch of folks complaining about something non stop and you say " hay I'm welder I could probably tweak this a little ,what would y'all change ? What would y'all like it to do ? Material changes possibly?" People will tell you to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and go right back to complaining. That or they say all ya good do is ( and I scream internally).I just really really don't understand this mentality

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 04/14/22 11:04 PM.
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558692
04/14/22 11:08 PM
04/14/22 11:08 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I like to use those metal electric fence posts. The ones with the triangle welded on at the bottom. I go up about two feet and bend an upside down U. Then bend the side of the u without the triangle straight away from the U angled up a bit. Go about 16 inchs and bend in a right side up U. Bolt cutter off the excess. File off the sharp stuff where I cut it. I use mapp gas to heat the post up where I am bending it. Take my camp chair to the bank. keep a cooler within reach and stick one in the ground on each side of me. At the reservoir I generally wear waders. Walk about waist deep then cast. Unroll line back to my chair.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558710
04/14/22 11:41 PM
04/14/22 11:41 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
One of the big problems with the internet is that anybody can express their opinion. In a face to face social situation, you would just walk away and ignore those people, who post crap responses like those and totally ignore them in the future. A lot of people only feel good if they're tearing someone else down. In real life, you would just avoid those people too. What other people think of you is much less important than what you think of yourself.

You need to figure out who is worth listening to and who is just background noise on the forums you frequent.

Keith

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558727
04/15/22 12:09 AM
04/15/22 12:09 AM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Creativity is something I've spent years contemplating.

I've come to the conclusion that very few people are creative. Not just very few - almost none. Everybody who says "just use a stick" isn't giving you a hard time. They're helping as much as they can. They just can't go any further than what they saw somebody else do before - and that's 99% of the population. Most people are so far from being creative that they can't understand why you could possibly want to improve on a stick. For them, all the possibilities already exist. In fact, you're very weird just for being creative.

-Ryan
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558729
04/15/22 12:10 AM
04/15/22 12:10 AM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Just visualize kneecapping the naysayers when they pop up like you would if you were face to face with them. Of course they would not confront you in person. That would require him to brush the Cheto dust off his hand-me-down sweatshirt he got from his sister, roll off the beanbag chair, get dressed, waddle that fat behind up his mom's basement stairs, get a ride from his mom over to your house to do it.

Last edited by 52Carl; 04/15/22 12:11 AM.
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558731
04/15/22 12:22 AM
04/15/22 12:22 AM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Constructive Criticism: Use more spaces in your discussion exploring, it is much easier to read and understand than one giant block of words !!
Thank you !!

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: maintenanceguy] #7558737
04/15/22 12:40 AM
04/15/22 12:40 AM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy

I've come to the conclusion that very few people are creative. Not just very few - almost none. Everybody who says "just use a stick" isn't giving you a hard time. They're helping as much as they can. They just can't go any further than what they saw somebody else do before - and that's 99% of the population. Most people are so far from being creative that they can't understand why you could possibly want to improve on a stick. For them, all the possibilities already exist. In fact, you're very weird just for being creative.

Have to agree on this for sure -- I have spent a large part of my life trying to find a "better" way to do whatever task is at hand (some work out and some don't). It seems that almost every time I seek an experts advice on improvements they always tell me " this is how I was taught to do it" but at least 50% of the time they cannot answer the question of why it is this way. They are very skilled and I listen to the words they say - to the point of understanding every aspect of the process that they may or may not understand -- then I make up my own mind on how to proceed. Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done just because it hasn't yet. There is almost always a different way to accomplish the task --- some may not be economically feasible at this time.

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558756
04/15/22 05:04 AM
04/15/22 05:04 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
When one leaves all the gates open, they shouldn't complain about what runs in and what runs out....

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558761
04/15/22 05:31 AM
04/15/22 05:31 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Thick skin seems to be the secret to survival on this, and probably most other forums....well, and maybe the 'ignore' button smile

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: KeithC] #7558768
04/15/22 06:00 AM
04/15/22 06:00 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY

You need to figure out who is worth listening to and who is just background noise on the forums you frequent.

Keith[/quote]

^^^^this

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558769
04/15/22 06:01 AM
04/15/22 06:01 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Its human nature?

If humans weren't always looking for the better, easier way, we'd still be wearing loin clothes and riding a horse.

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Turtledale] #7558796
04/15/22 07:01 AM
04/15/22 07:01 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Turtledale

Keith

^^^^this[/quote]
I agree with the above statement^^^^

Even here on Tman you can tell who is all talk....
.......And there are several.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558798
04/15/22 07:06 AM
04/15/22 07:06 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
It's the internet;
Everyone is an expert on everything!

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558799
04/15/22 07:07 AM
04/15/22 07:07 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I've had a couple brother in laws like that. No matter what you say they have to contradict it somehow. Keep on keepin on Wolfie. You're the better man.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: H2ORat] #7558860
04/15/22 08:27 AM
04/15/22 08:27 AM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Originally Posted by H2ORat
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy

Have to agree on this for sure -- I have spent a large part of my life trying to find a "better" way to do whatever task is at hand (some work out and some don't). It seems that almost every time I seek an experts advice on improvements they always tell me " this is how I was taught to do it" but at least 50% of the time they cannot answer the question of why it is this way. They are very skilled and I listen to the words they say - to the point of understanding every aspect of the process that they may or may not understand -- then I make up my own mind on how to proceed. Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done just because it hasn't yet. There is almost always a different way to accomplish the task --- some may not be economically feasible at this time.

And if you are cursed with creativity you will need to ignore everybody else because everybody else believes it can't be done until you do it. Creativity with an uncomfortable amount of self confidence can bring success - you kind of need to be so self confident that it makes others uncomfortable sometimes. If you think anyone else's opinion matters, being creative will just be frustrating.

-Ryan
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558868
04/15/22 08:35 AM
04/15/22 08:35 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Sure you can make say a cage trap simpler...but that doesnt mean it will work as well. Most people sees such things as too much work.

You've problem see these Simple Craft videos that float around...yeah theyre simple...if you have a CNC Machine, metal lathes, hydraulic presses, etc.

Last edited by SNIPERB🦝; 04/15/22 08:37 AM.
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558872
04/15/22 08:41 AM
04/15/22 08:41 AM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
When folks say something can't be done, it only means they can't do it. You certainly are a doer !

On the other hand, tho, some folks (Aries) are terribly "scornful of advise", but still ask for opinions ...... and advise smile smile

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558878
04/15/22 08:48 AM
04/15/22 08:48 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
I get it Wolfdog. Some people will always run faster, jump higher and dive deeper....
It's just human nature. For some it's malicious and some don't even realize they're doing it.
My philosophy is keep experimenting and keep sharing, some people genuinely appreciate it and get some value from even the "silly" ideas. Don't let others live rent free in your head.
I enjoy your enthusiasm on here and check out most of your posts.

Just happy to be here.
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558884
04/15/22 08:59 AM
04/15/22 08:59 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
As an analogy, these guys would look at a car and say i could make one sinpler. Well when/if they would build it, ot would resemble the Flintstone's car

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558896
04/15/22 09:10 AM
04/15/22 09:10 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
you will find those people are often selling themselves and not you , they are selling themselves that the pipe banged into the sand is the better option

same goes for the person who bought the uber xyz super awesome widget , they need to justify that they spent a lot of extra cash selling you on it assures them they didn't just blow money on it for no reason.

in any product review you nearly need to toss out the top and bottom 5% then start looking at who put real thought in to the review got the technical gave real info and not just anecdote

I also agree with the constructive criticism above more spaces and line breaks makes for an easier read.
no spaces and the reading glasses have to come out make it more than a few lines and it gets as hard to read as coonman

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 04/15/22 09:27 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread