No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Wood ticks on Beaver #7559305
04/15/22 04:05 PM
04/15/22 04:05 PM
wisconsin
M
Muskratwalt Offline OP
trapper
Muskratwalt  Offline OP
trapper
M

wisconsin
several years ago I caught a lone beaver in April in Chippewa County Wisconsin out of a small pond when I got to my truck I had several deer ticks crawling on me. Upon skinning the beaver I discovered the under fur on its neck and back was matted with imbedded ticks, there must have been fifty or seventy-five ticks. out of hundreds of beaver I've caught before and since this was the only time I observed this canines Coon Fisher and even mink have wood ticks on them. how common is it for Beaver nowadays with high-ticknumbers

Walt legge
Re: Wood ticks on Beaver [Re: Muskratwalt] #7559317
04/15/22 04:13 PM
04/15/22 04:13 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Have not had that here YET But last year picking up traps i had to strip down before getting into the truck as i was wiggling all over So if the beaver denned on shore I can see it happening
Caught some in winter once that were alive with little red critters and some that looked like big fleas

olden tyred
Re: Wood ticks on Beaver [Re: Muskratwalt] #7559343
04/15/22 04:42 PM
04/15/22 04:42 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I have been trapping beaver for over 50 years in North eastern Ontario.I trapped one beaver 3 or 4 years ago that had a back full of embedded ticks.First time I had ever seen a tick on a beaver.
Have seen ticks on moose,rabbits,groundhogs, and mink off and on.
The same summer I took the tick beaver another nuisance trapper caught one from a different watershed but not far from where I caught the one.(15 miles apart).He also trapped for over 50 years and it was the first beaver he had ever seen with ticks.

i sent a sample of the ticks to N of 50 on here and he identified them as Ixodes Banksii-a beaver tick.never seen another tick infested beaver since.

I have caught hundreds of beaver with the little red skin beetles-Platypsyllus.-Some years the platypsyllus are more prevalent than other years.

Last edited by Boco; 04/15/22 04:44 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Wood ticks on Beaver [Re: Muskratwalt] #7559364
04/15/22 05:04 PM
04/15/22 05:04 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
I saw a guy selling at GFW here in Pa last week that had a tick bitten beaver. The flesh side of the put up beaver was speckled with black tick bites, like you see on our coon and canines. First and only one I’ve ever seen.

Re: Wood ticks on Beaver [Re: Bigbrownie] #7559438
04/15/22 06:06 PM
04/15/22 06:06 PM
wisconsin
M
Muskratwalt Offline OP
trapper
Muskratwalt  Offline OP
trapper
M

wisconsin
Thanks for the reply guys I too have seen numerous smaller Critters on muskrats and beaver but nothing like this one particular beaverhead on his fur thanks again

Walt legge
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread