No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7562994
04/18/22 11:44 PM
04/18/22 11:44 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Online content
trapper
Giant Sage  Online Content
trapper
G

Wy
When the supply chain hits the clothing stores I'll have plenty of fur to barter with. wink

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Calvin] #7562995
04/18/22 11:46 PM
04/18/22 11:46 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Originally Posted by Calvin
I think we are nearing the very end of the rope...and there aint no more.

IT will be all ADC in the states in the not so far off future.

It's already gone to that in many areas of the states....and the range is expanding every year.

It seems like that what the country mostly wants , I get that feeling around here from trapping an public an in time, I say less then 10 years, maybe less then 5 years, this is go happen lot more places, if the very few big buyers quit an FHA quit, could go quick, I am not interested in adc work myself, never have an if did, not much, I like the hides

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7562998
04/18/22 11:51 PM
04/18/22 11:51 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Back in the 70 there was a recession going on so the US dollar was weak and other currency could buy more goods cheaper then when the US dollar was stronger and their money would not buy as much. Several counties were experiencing a new found wealth due to industrialized growth and for the first time they had disposable wealth that they never had before so they wanted the bling to show their wealth by means of the new fashion fur craze.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Dirt] #7563004
04/18/22 11:58 PM
04/18/22 11:58 PM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by claycreech
I consider a great fur market when there is good demand and prices for all species. I doubt that we ever see that again.
We’ll see rises in individual species. Rats, otter, cats, etc., but a hot market for all species is over I’m afraid.

I agree. Haven't seen a good overall market since the boom. Not likely to either. I won't even mention inflation adjusted prices. I bet people would drool over $30 coon. The price from 1979. But it wouldn't be even close to the same price in 2022.

Main difference I see in ‘77 and now is the sheer volume of coon to be had.
Even figuring adjusted prices, you could make some fine winters wages with $30 coon round here.
Dream on self. It ain’t happening lol

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Calvin] #7563007
04/19/22 12:01 AM
04/19/22 12:01 AM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.

It's already gone to that in many areas of the states....and the range is expanding every year.

Yep, I’m with ya Calvin.
Even in this rural country I’m busier than ever with beaver ADC.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Calvin] #7563020
04/19/22 12:43 AM
04/19/22 12:43 AM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio

This is the case .
Most of Europe is already almost all ADC , no fur is saved in moat areas .

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563029
04/19/22 01:32 AM
04/19/22 01:32 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
We need the dust to settle from the pandemic and worldwide peace and prosperity to reign once again. If that can happen I'm bullish on fur.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563123
04/19/22 07:08 AM
04/19/22 07:08 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I personally would like to see prices at a reasonable level,where a guy could feel good about the money received for the work done.In the mid 70's when I got started prices for about everything were on their up,but not ridiculous like it got later.Outdoor people may have heard about rising fur prices but your average Joe had no idea,when prices went thru the roof around '79 or '80 everybody had to get in on it,no place was safe from thieves.I wouldn't want to see that again,if you have registered trap lines or large tracts of farm and ranch land tied up you probably feel different.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Bob] #7563147
04/19/22 07:51 AM
04/19/22 07:51 AM
Wisconsin
M
Mad Scientist Offline
trapper
Mad Scientist  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Bob
I’m no marketing expert, but I think it would help a lot if we trappers, hunters, outdoorsmen in general made fur a part of our daily apparel. Send your kids to school with fur hats and mittens. Send your daughter to prom in a fur cape/stole/cuffs, etc. wear a nice fur vest to the grocery store. Make a fur coat your daily winter wear when you go out and about. I think it’s a marketing issue more than anything. Honestly, how many of us wear a fur article in the public eye every day? I’d bet not many, I’m as guilty as the rest.

Maybe we could use these low prices as a chance to get some furs tanned and have things made, and give them as gifts to anyone we know who would wear them in public. Start a trend. But it would take a lot of us doing the part to make any sort of difference. And I’m not talking about trapper style hats with faces and tails, I’m talking about garments you’d expect a well dressed, clean cut couple to wear to dinner at a nice restaurant. It should be tasteful, elegant, and make a statement without being gaudy.

I may be wrong, but its a better option than whining about the rice of fur on the internet. I think I’ll give it a shot.

I was right there with you until USA FOXX stole my hides.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563157
04/19/22 07:57 AM
04/19/22 07:57 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I'll start bottling....

crazy thing is many of us manufacturers of trapping smells had a record year last year.
Go figure.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563223
04/19/22 09:35 AM
04/19/22 09:35 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
$30 coon in 2022 would be a $7.50 coon in 1979. Not going to get rich, but you could earn a decent living. A $30 1979 coon would be a $120 2022 coon. You wouldn't have to have much of a game plan to make money. Catch a coon and hit the bar. A $3 2022 coon would net you 75 cents in 1979. Possum money.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563229
04/19/22 09:39 AM
04/19/22 09:39 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I sure miss targeting coon

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Buck (Zandra)] #7563249
04/19/22 10:00 AM
04/19/22 10:00 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
I personally would like to see prices at a reasonable level,where a guy could feel good about the money received for the work done.In the mid 70's when I got started prices for about everything were on their up,but not ridiculous like it got later.Outdoor people may have heard about rising fur prices but your average Joe had no idea,when prices went thru the roof around '79 or '80 everybody had to get in on it,no place was safe from thieves.I wouldn't want to see that again,if you have registered trap lines or large tracts of farm and ranch land tied up you probably feel different.

Those high prices brought the Johnny Sneakums out of the woodwork back in the day. It sure made me learn to set traps inconspicuously. It was like when the Chinook Salmon first returned to spawn in those Lake Michigan tributaries back in the 60's......it brought the very worst out of people. I knew guys that had 'coon hounds that were making serious loot killing 'coons. It was a mad-house in places. I even know a couple guys that chopped down farmers trees when 'coon got hung up after being shot! Can you imagine that? They'd have a McCulloch in the truck for that very reason. If I had someone buzz down one of my oaks do retrieve a dead 'coon.......well, it wouldn't turn out so good. I loved the fur prices, and I was an ok enough trapper that I made enough to pay rent and buy groceries with my fur money, but in all honesty, I wish I knew then what I learned later on. There is a pile of information out there today.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563253
04/19/22 10:05 AM
04/19/22 10:05 AM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
[Linked Image]

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563291
04/19/22 11:03 AM
04/19/22 11:03 AM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I don't mind competition,as long as its honest,which alot of it wasnt.Money does strange things to people and it sure showed during that time.Farm properties you may have trapped for years suddenly came off limits as family members became trappers,state land was a free for all,chest pounders were everywhere claiming they had rights to it just because,here in Michigan at that time you could preset traps before opening day,you had guys in marshes and rivers presetting spots 2-3 days before season opened,God help the guy who hadn't preset and showed up on opening day.With fur buyers everywhere it wasn't hard to sell stolen fur.I personally don't look at the years when fur went out of sight as the golden years,I look back with good memories of the few years prior to them.With all the doom and gloom here now,as I recall alot of old timers thought the good old days were behind them in the early '70's.And look what happened.The market is constantly changing,a few years back nobody would believe crafters would start showing up at local trappers auctions with large rolls of cash for certain items such as skunk.I'd bet the guys who concentrated on skunks,between the pelts and the essence made out pretty darn good.I know prices seem to be all over the place this past season but with all the darkness that seemed to descend on the industry it was surprising,to say the least,some of the prices that came from certain local trapper auctions.Just like trappers of long ago,all we can do is ride it out.The industry does seem to be changing from fur to damage control,but heck,the opportunities there are endless.The amount of money urban,suburban anites,and municipalities pay for animal removal is more than the pelt price you'd receive,no matter how high the market is.It may be changing,but its not over.By any means.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563300
04/19/22 11:17 AM
04/19/22 11:17 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Fur prices will absolutely rise again

The direction our country is heading will lead to a massive reset button

Government reliance will lead to overconsumption of a limited amount of goods. The days of being able to build a house, buy groceries, or buy clothes will be gone. Only a small part of the population will be able to afford these now common goods.

Common folk will have to build their homes out of natural materials from local mills. Kill their own food. Make their own garments. We will be exactly where we were 200 years ago.

Fur will once again be what this country is built on. It will be a key bartering tool.

Don't agree? Go try to buy the materials to buy a house today. You MIGHT be able to find 50% of the material in stock. It isn't going to get better

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563317
04/19/22 11:34 AM
04/19/22 11:34 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
The new crafter market may be old trappers that used to tan and sell their fur. However, the price trappers will supply at now is far cheaper than trapping them would be. I know I'm leaning that way and I know of another trapper that buys cheap and resells. This market will not increase prices though. It may slowly disappear with decent raw fur prices. No way I can supply my own fur for the price I can buy from people who will trap and supply at current prices.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7563343
04/19/22 12:08 PM
Over there.
F
Flicker Shad Offline
trapper
Flicker Shad  Offline
trapper
F

Over there.
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
We need the dust to settle from the pandemic and worldwide peace and prosperity to reign once again. If that can happen I'm bullish on fur.

They've said it everywhere for the last two years. This is the new normal. It's not going back. I believe them.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563344
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
If it wasn't for the craft market and taxidermy it would be pretty tough.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7563349
04/19/22 12:18 PM
04/19/22 12:18 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
The fur market will rise again like a phoenix out of the ashes!

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread