No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Are hunting and trapping about killing only? #7563899
04/20/22 04:41 AM
04/20/22 04:41 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
It is perfectly legal to make sets with a trail camera instead of a trap. You can have a scrap book of pictures of all the animals you "trapped", without ever killing or releasing a single one. Now that is definitely "sport" trapping. Trapping for the love of trapping only. No money at all.

It is legal to call or stalk turkeys year round so long as you don't take a gun. You can call in and photograph hundreds of them with out ever buying a license. Instead of tailfans you can put photographs on the wall. No one I know does though. Why is that? Is it because hunting for food is in our DNA? Much like hunting mice is in the DNA of a housecat even when its well fed?

You enjoy hunting and trapping IMO because it IS in our genes. If we want to keep doing it we are going to have to stop the whole "for sport and trophy" propaganda.

Its time to get back to the truth. We humans are instinctively predators. Just like the housecat thats never been out of the apartment. The difference is we can reason. We can keep a proper balance of wildlife to some extent. Instead of the huge population explosions and crash's that disney types call balance, we thinking reasoning humans can level it out some.

We can level it out some and indulge our need to prey at the same time. I believe that IS our role in the natural world as we are the only species capable of it.

Its a real good idea to own up that part of your nature. Its a real good idea to tell people you like to hunt for your food. It fulfills a primal need you have as well as benefits animal populations and humans.

Its a real good idea to say you trap for money. It benefits your family and the wildlife. It fulfills a primal need inside of you as well as benefitting animal populations and us humans.

Truth is always best. We are born with that desire to prey on animals. It is a part of nature. That drive is stronger in some humans than others. Just like it is stronger in some dogs and cats. Just like the instinct of dogs and cats we all have at least a little of it. Even people who dont hunt like seeing animals. Just like the housecat who sits in the window watching birds even though it never tries to actually catch one.

That predatory instinct is in all us. Even vegans. They suppress it out of some misguided idea they can change the way the natural world works.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563901
04/20/22 04:52 AM
04/20/22 04:52 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
I have a very close cousin, she is turning vegan, changing her husband over slowly too. She and he, still hunt deer and go fishing. Their diet is based on what they think is best for their health. My side of the family have been blessed with long life, good heart health. Her side has some young heart attacks and strokes. I give her my garden harvest bounty, she gives me a deer now and then. The PETA vegans are a different breed...Often with unnatural hair colors.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563903
04/20/22 04:55 AM
04/20/22 04:55 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Her side has some young heart attacks and strokes

Sorry to hear that. I suspect an unnatural diet like vegans have will make that tendency worse not better.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563907
04/20/22 05:09 AM
04/20/22 05:09 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Her side has some young heart attacks and strokes

Sorry to hear that. I suspect an unnatural diet like vegans have will make that tendency worse not better.

That I don't know, they both have lost a good amount of weight. I suspect that is due to overall lifestyle change including more walking and activities including diet. Some of her vegan recipes are very good, not a daily diet for me. But when the garden is coming in many of my suppers are meat free.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563912
04/20/22 05:51 AM
04/20/22 05:51 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Somehow when I touch a photograph it doesn't feel as furry as a mink.

I'd rather turn carnivore than herbivore but being a omnivore is just fine with me.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563926
04/20/22 06:19 AM
04/20/22 06:19 AM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
I can't define why I have to set traps and hunt, in my life it fills a need. I have always been fascinated with animals,guns,dogs and traps spent a good amount of money on them ---the rest I just wasted!

It's a good time to be a trapper!

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563932
04/20/22 06:35 AM
04/20/22 06:35 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted.

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: BernieB.] #7563933
04/20/22 06:40 AM
04/20/22 06:40 AM
PA
S
Strut10 Offline
trapper
Strut10  Offline
trapper
S

PA
Originally Posted by BernieB.
I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted.

Well stated.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563934
04/20/22 06:41 AM
04/20/22 06:41 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
I think the definition of hunting changes as we get older. I know a good day hunting is different then it was 30 years ago to me.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563941
04/20/22 06:49 AM
04/20/22 06:49 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I'm amazed by all of it, the hunting, the non-hunting, the wonder and the beauty and the diversity of the hunter and the hunted.
I'm like an old Indian chief who marvels as he strokes the fur of a bull elk he just arrowed.
What a tapestry of creativity it all is.

I would say 8 billion people have quite a few reasons why they do the things they do.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563953
04/20/22 07:05 AM
04/20/22 07:05 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
You can hunt without killing. The killing is part of the attraction.

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563954
04/20/22 07:08 AM
04/20/22 07:08 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I believe being predatory is part of our dna our genetics our chromosomes. Its a lot stronger drive in some of us. Its instinctive.

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563960
04/20/22 07:14 AM
04/20/22 07:14 AM
NW Illinois
K
Kevin Stake Offline
trapper
Kevin Stake  Offline
trapper
K

NW Illinois
The Bible says we are to watch over all creatures of the land and water. If every creature is not kept in check the will over crowd and suffer. Nature will take care of too many creatures with disease and starvation.

It is more blessed to give than to receive
Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563964
04/20/22 07:22 AM
04/20/22 07:22 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Being a hunter is not something I do .It is what I am !! I have spent plenty of time hunting without killing .But killing is the ultimate goal. I don't get out of bed at 4:00 AM in the morning to go out and just observe wildlife. Even though it often ends with no kill being made .

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563966
04/20/22 07:25 AM
04/20/22 07:25 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If every creature is not kept in check the will over crowd and suffer. Nature will take care of too many creatures with disease and starvation.

I agree. Saying stuff like I kill to have hunted is to Zen like. I think if we want to keep hunting trapping and even fishing we need to admit its instinctive also. That we are the only species capable of true management. Its our natural role. No matter your religion.

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563967
04/20/22 07:27 AM
04/20/22 07:27 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Online sick
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Online Sick
trapper
D

MN
Taking a picture of a deer vs touching a deer you just killed are different feelings that are incomparable. There are certain things I don't like killing but do because it needs to be done (coyotes, coons,predators basically). That said there are things I like killing that give me a great feeling, Beaver, deer, cattle, pigs, geese, basically the stuff I love to eat. Seeing a nice deer that I just shot dead in the snow is a feeling of satisfaction and happiness that is tough to mimick.

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563976
04/20/22 07:34 AM
04/20/22 07:34 AM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
I enjoy trapping for many reasons, none of them is because I enjoy killing the trapped animal. I kill the trapped animal so I can harvest its fur, eat it or eliminate it from the area it is causing damage to. Same with hunting. Same with fishing, if I don't intend on eating the fish I let it go.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563978
04/20/22 07:37 AM
04/20/22 07:37 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline OP
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Taking a picture of a deer vs touching a deer you just killed are different feelings that are incomparable. There are certain things I don't like killing but do because it needs to be done (coyotes, coons,predators basically). That said there are things I like killing that give me a great feeling, Beaver, deer, cattle, pigs, geese, basically the stuff I love to eat. Seeing a nice deer that I just shot dead in the snow is a feeling of satisfaction and happiness that is tough to mimick.

Me Too

I trap because I enjoy it and because its necessary. It benefits animal populations. It benefits me when I can make money doing it.

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563985
04/20/22 07:47 AM
04/20/22 07:47 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I am known on campus as the trapping dude who takes the "subdue the earth" quite literally. I'm going Saturday to one of the professor's land to help them trap some beaver which are making a mess. I promise you they've never had a dually drivin', coyote killing, walking the rain without an umbrella fart like me on this campus before. Not in 94 years grin

Re: Are hunting and trapping about killing only? [Re: danny clifton] #7563986
04/20/22 07:50 AM
04/20/22 07:50 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by danny clifton
You can hunt without killing. The killing is part of the attraction.

There's a wide range of reasons why I prefer to hunt and trap. For me it's just something that's available here to do which is better than staying indoors. I prefer to get my kids out and off their tablets. I've learned a lot of life's lessons in the outdoors. I deer hunt every year to some degree but up until this year I hadn't shot a deer since 2009, mainly because I wasn't planning on eating one and I don't trophy hunt. I watched a lot of nice deer walk and saw plenty more while trapping that I could have taken with a muzzleloader. This year with the price of beef I filled the freezer. I think every child should at some point experience hunting or trapping, it teaches you that life isn't a guarantee...it sure does put a different perspective on life in general.

I did enjoy making money when it was possible while trapping and I will continue to do so at some degree when I'm not making money. I definitely did my fair share to keep the population of predators in check with thermals this year. The amount of raccoons in our area right now is unbelievable with the majority of guys sitting it out. The older I get I have definitely noticed I hesitate more so than I used to when it comes to ending something's life.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread