No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: Turd Furgeson] #7565267
04/21/22 08:35 AM
04/21/22 08:35 AM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline OP
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
What’s really fun is when you’ve been baiting a group like that for a week getting ready to drop on them then the local dog hunters come in and kill 1-2 and screw everything up.

Atleast they kill them where you're at. Here they just turn them back loose.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7565324
04/21/22 09:49 AM
04/21/22 09:49 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
A couple things........back in the mid 80's......bottom fell out of hog prices.........anybody that tried to raise one from birth to slaughter would lose $100 per head. But if you had a bunch, what to do? Rural legend (similar to urban legend....but funnier) was one guy put a couple hundred feeder pigs in a trailer, took them to the middle of town and dumped them out on the ctown square. Said people had been dumping dogs and cats on him for years.......and it was time for some payback. Might even be true.....but something similar to that is likely the source of many of the feral hogs we are cleaning up today. They appear to be descendants from domestic hogs that either got lose or were turned lose. In the right areas, they can do pretty well on their own.

Long time back, a college professor was telling us how they used to round up cattle scattered out over tens of thousands of acres in the desert southwest. When roundup time came, they simply setup funnel traps around the water holes. Cattle caught themselves.

Have always thought something similar would work with feral hogs. Setup a large corral (about half acre or so)........made of corral fence with hog panels wired to the inside......then set them up as a large funnel trap. Get them used to coming and going and when ready to catch them, set one way gates. They walk in.....can't get out. Their escape route funnel leads to back of a stock trailer. Prison food.

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: HayDay] #7565356
04/21/22 10:31 AM
04/21/22 10:31 AM
Louisiana
trapper
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by HayDay
A couple things........back in the mid 80's......bottom fell out of hog prices.........anybody that tried to raise one from birth to slaughter would lose $100 per head. But if you had a bunch, what to do? Rural legend (similar to urban legend....but funnier) was one guy put a couple hundred feeder pigs in a trailer, took them to the middle of town and dumped them out on the ctown square. Said people had been dumping dogs and cats on him for years.......and it was time for some payback. Might even be true.....but something similar to that is likely the source of many of the feral hogs we are cleaning up today. They appear to be descendants from domestic hogs that either got lose or were turned lose. In the right areas, they can do pretty well on their own.

Long time back, a college professor was telling us how they used to round up cattle scattered out over tens of thousands of acres in the desert southwest. When roundup time came, they simply setup funnel traps around the water holes. Cattle caught themselves.

Have always thought something similar would work with feral hogs. Setup a large corral (about half acre or so)........made of corral fence with hog panels wired to the inside......then set them up as a large funnel trap. Get them used to coming and going and when ready to catch them, set one way gates. They walk in.....can't get out. Their escape route funnel leads to back of a stock trailer. Prison food.

There is a local guy here who uses extremely large corrals like that. His biggest catch is over 80 at a time.

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7565357
04/21/22 10:32 AM
04/21/22 10:32 AM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
You tube video of a hog climbing a 6 foot fence. Never seen one in a tree so far

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: marathonman] #7565619
04/21/22 04:09 PM
04/21/22 04:09 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by marathonman
are they good table fare is my only question..thats a lot of pork!

My experience is that they can be good to eat, but it depends on if they’re really stressed. A quick, well placed bullet on a smaller hog, and you have good meat, especially the females. However, it has been my experience that the ones highly stressed aren’t as good to eat, and if they’re a boar that’s been stressed, forget about it.

A friend of mine told me how to tell if a hog will be good to eat. I haven’t tried this method yet but I believe it will probably work. Hopefully someone here could confirm it either way. He said that if you cut a piece of meat and burn it with a lighter, if it smells strong (like the odor of a boar), then the meat isn’t good to eat. If it doesn’t stink when burned, it’s fine.

The pigs I’ve eaten were dispatched with a well placed Bullet, they weren’t stressed, and the meat was great.

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7565622
04/21/22 04:21 PM
04/21/22 04:21 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
This is getting exciting, cant wait for Saturday viewing this post. Will we see the gate come down and the pig go crazy?.....jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: jk] #7565700
04/21/22 06:51 PM
04/21/22 06:51 PM
Louisiana
trapper
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by jk
This is getting exciting, cant wait for Saturday viewing this post. Will we see the gate come down and the pig go crazy?.....jk

Only pictures. my camera that took video quit when 3g went away.

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7565935
04/21/22 10:09 PM
04/21/22 10:09 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Can't Wait

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7565953
04/21/22 10:17 PM
04/21/22 10:17 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Wish you could livestream it.

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7566001
04/21/22 11:31 PM
04/21/22 11:31 PM
Winter Springs, Florida
D
Davexx1 Offline
trapper
Davexx1  Offline
trapper
D

Winter Springs, Florida
It looks like you have them ready. Hope you get them all.

I have and use several cellular equipped large and small coral style trap setups and they work fine, but it sometimes requires being up long hours at night waiting on the hogs or all of the group to get inside the trap enclosure before triggering the gate. That new trap concept called the "Pig Brig" seems to have some merit as a multiple catch type trap that you don't have to monitor all night to trigger a gate. It is a large round heavy net type trap, and the hogs trap themselves. Check it out.

There are a lot of videos of the Pig Brig traps in use on you tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_msYPrngeo

Last edited by Davexx1; 04/21/22 11:33 PM.
Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7566002
04/21/22 11:32 PM
04/21/22 11:32 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
So what's the end game here?

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7566252
04/22/22 08:59 AM
04/22/22 08:59 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
.....tick tick .tick

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: Slick Pan] #7566296
04/22/22 09:37 AM
04/22/22 09:37 AM
Louisiana
trapper
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Davexx1

I have and use several cellular equipped large and small coral style trap setups and they work fine, but it sometimes requires being up long hours at night waiting on the hogs or all of the group to get inside the trap enclosure before triggering the gate. That new trap concept called the "Pig Brig" seems to have some merit as a multiple catch type trap that you don't have to monitor all night to trigger a gate. It is a large round heavy net type trap, and the hogs trap themselves. Check it out.

There are a lot of videos of the Pig Brig traps in use on you tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_msYPrngeo

I have no interest in going back to driving T-post. And I have seen how short of a life span nets like that have down here. I have insomnia anyway lol.

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
So what's the end game here?

Close to 20 dead pigs

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: Davexx1] #7566320
04/22/22 10:09 AM
04/22/22 10:09 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Originally Posted by Davexx1

That new trap concept called the "Pig Brig" seems to have some merit as a multiple catch type trap that you don't have to monitor all night to trigger a gate. It is a large round heavy net type trap, and the hogs trap themselves. Check it out.

That is the concept I always thought would work. Scaled up version of a pigeon trap or fish trap with one way gate. If the net won't hold up, just use it as a gate......or devise a throat like on a fish trap. They force their way in.......can't force their way out. And large enough that A: you catch the whole sounder......and B. Large enough they remain calm and don't panic.

This from the perspective of an old farm kid who learned at an early age that a guy with a 5 gallon bucket of feed can get animals to voluntarily walk into places you will struggle to drive them into by force.

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7566321
04/22/22 10:11 AM
04/22/22 10:11 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Also curious about what happens to these hogs once captured? Dispatched on site.....or hauled off to a different fate?

And is this a paying damage control job? Or self ADC?

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7566372
04/22/22 10:53 AM
04/22/22 10:53 AM
Louisiana
trapper
trapper

Louisiana
Paying job, dispatch on site , no exceptions

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7566435
04/22/22 12:55 PM
04/22/22 12:55 PM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
I know a guy with a pig brig and he has been wearing them out. I think the pig brig is probably best suited for a landowner where you can drive the posts and leave them out and pick the net up when not in use. No worries if the water comes up on it, and no cell service required. Also, much cheaper than the portable cell cam traps if not building yourself. The paid hog trappers I know need something they can set and pick up quick. My local USDA hog trapper is currently running six different cell cam traps. That is a job.

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7566441
04/22/22 01:05 PM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
[Linked Image]

When the shooting started, This big Hampshire boar started ramming the gate, warped it in the middle and knocked it out of the guides. He had been shot 5 times with a .22 when he tore the gate down and escaped. I found him two days later, 150 yards away, when the buzzards got on him.

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7566442
Louisiana
trapper
trapper

Louisiana
It's definitely a job, the Pig Brig is more than some cell gates

Re: I really enjoy yet hate it... [Re: AirportTrapper] #7566458
04/22/22 01:31 PM
04/22/22 01:31 PM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
Originally Posted by AirportTrapper
It's definitely a job, the Pig Brig is more than some cell gates

But the pig brig price includes everything you need except for the t-post, and can carry in the back of a polaris ranger. The commercial cell cam traps require additional interlocking panels, batteries, trailer, etc. Nice setups, but usually in the $7k plus range. If you dont have the time, knowledge, or desire to build a gate, big brig is about the lowest cost commercial multicatch trap. The guy I know using the pig brig is a former g&f employee with a lot of hog trapping knowledge. He was really skeptical about the pig brig, didnt have the cash for the bull creek, jaeger pro, etc, had no cell service on his place, and some of his land was subject to frequent flooding. He was pleasantly surprised with the pig brig. Has caught as many as 24 in one catch. He did say it took him six hours to put it up the first time, but thinks he could do it considerably quicker next time. He did say he didnt think it was not a good option for commercial trappers.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread