No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566051
04/22/22 02:39 AM
04/22/22 02:39 AM
MT
D
DavidInMT Offline
trapper
DavidInMT  Offline
trapper
D

MT
Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?

Praying that the Lord reveals himself to you, Scuba1, and that He grants you the wisdom to seek Him before it's too late... that is, if you really exist. wink

David
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566061
04/22/22 05:12 AM
04/22/22 05:12 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Scuba, I understand what your saying. We all have our own beliefs. I respect people for who they are and how they speak to me and others. Their deeds and actions are all I know of many people. Wouldn't know if they believed in a type of God at all.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566067
04/22/22 05:27 AM
04/22/22 05:27 AM
Va. Lee Co.
D
Donnie H Offline
trapper
Donnie H  Offline
trapper
D

Va. Lee Co.
As for me and my house...we will serve the LORD...

Re: Prayers and such [Re: Sharon] #7566078
04/22/22 06:03 AM
04/22/22 06:03 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by Sharon
That’s right, Angela. Sending someone all your best, or much sympathy , is still offering kindness .

Michael. You have a kind heart and are appreciated. To offer your thoughts in good motive just shows what we already know of you, a genuine concern for others .

Often, men who are tough warriors on the exterior, can have depth of kindness unseen by others.

People just appreciate good thoughts sent their way, no matter how they are articulated.

Well said

Mac

Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566079
04/22/22 06:09 AM
04/22/22 06:09 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Good post scuba. Unlike Mac the diver,I didnt begin to really question all the sunday school and bible study I had till I was about 12. By the time I was 14 I couldn't believe anymore. When people tell me they are praying for me I thank them. I know they are sincere in their belief and are doing what they feel is beneficial.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566093
04/22/22 06:46 AM
04/22/22 06:46 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
To the person needing comfort, I think "I'm praying for you" or "I'm hoping things get better for you" accomplish the same thing. Weather they come from a believer or not doesn't matter.

Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566111
04/22/22 07:04 AM
04/22/22 07:04 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Thru Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior we all have a chance at Heaven.

Nevada bound
Re: Prayers and such [Re: yotetrapper30] #7566226
04/22/22 08:43 AM
04/22/22 08:43 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
As a sometimes wayward Christian who has asked for prayers here and received kind thoughts instead from tman atheists, I've appreciated them. Granted, when I looked later at the post and saw all the prayers offered it made me feel good. But I also appreciated the thoughts, as the kind thoughts are for sure better than no thoughts at all! I find it hard to believe that any REAL Christian would ever be offended by someone who hasn't yet come to believe in God offering thoughts instead of prayers in their time of need. If they did, I don't guess they're a Christian I'd care to know.

Good posting

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566259
04/22/22 09:05 AM
04/22/22 09:05 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.(G) 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan,(H) as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

Jesus doesn't state what the Samaritan's beliefs were. But he used a Samaritan in the parable because to the Jews they were lower than dogs. Yet his kindness and compassion for his fellow man was held up as an example.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566267
04/22/22 09:08 AM
04/22/22 09:08 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Awesome.You never know how Jesus will appear.

Nevada bound
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Bruce T] #7566282
04/22/22 09:26 AM
04/22/22 09:26 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Thru Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior we all have a chance at Heaven.

I agree with you.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566302
04/22/22 09:48 AM
04/22/22 09:48 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
When it comes to faith in God, I believe John 6:44 explains for us the reason real faith is hard for some. I've found that when things get tough attitudes can change.

My brother in law is an atheist. He always has been. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer about 3-weeks ago. They removed the kidney and found the cancer has spread. Its on his aorta now. Anyway its been very rough for him. He is still in the hospital. He was actually flown to another hospital yesterday. He has an infection now and the antibiotics they are giving him for the infection are shutting down his remaining kidney. Like me, my sister is a christian, and a few days ago my brother in law started asking for people to pray for him. This change is obviously driven by fear.....fear of the lord and what comes after death is the first step for some. Like the thief on the cross.

I respect Scuba's position, and would appreciate his thoughts if I was in a tight spot. He has obviously heard the gospel and rejected it. Someday that might change.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566304
04/22/22 09:54 AM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Online content
trapper
SJA  Online Content
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
An ancient philosopher once said, as I recall, "All men will utter the name of God in their last desperate moments" . . .

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566305
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Untill that last breath God is waiting for us.

Nevada bound
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566309
04/22/22 09:58 AM
04/22/22 09:58 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
2 Kings 2:23-25

23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria.

I am just glad a bear never came to my grade school and killed a bunch of kids for making fun of the principal.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566313
04/22/22 10:01 AM
04/22/22 10:01 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks

Full text

2 When the Lord was about to take Elijah up to heaven in a whirlwind, Elijah and Elisha were on their way from Gilgal. 2 Elijah said to Elisha, “Stay here; the Lord has sent me to Bethel.”

But Elisha said, “As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you.” So they went down to Bethel.

3 The company of the prophets at Bethel came out to Elisha and asked, “Do you know that the Lord is going to take your master from you today?”

“Yes, I know,” Elisha replied, “so be quiet.”

4 Then Elijah said to him, “Stay here, Elisha; the Lord has sent me to Jericho.”

And he replied, “As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you.” So they went to Jericho.

5 The company of the prophets at Jericho went up to Elisha and asked him, “Do you know that the Lord is going to take your master from you today?”

“Yes, I know,” he replied, “so be quiet.”

6 Then Elijah said to him, “Stay here; the Lord has sent me to the Jordan.”

And he replied, “As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you.” So the two of them walked on.

7 Fifty men from the company of the prophets went and stood at a distance, facing the place where Elijah and Elisha had stopped at the Jordan. 8 Elijah took his cloak, rolled it up and struck the water with it. The water divided to the right and to the left, and the two of them crossed over on dry ground.

9 When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?”

“Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied.

10 “You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah said, “yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise, it will not.”

11 As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. 12 Elisha saw this and cried out, “My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!” And Elisha saw him no more. Then he took hold of his garment and tore it in two.

13 Elisha then picked up Elijah’s cloak that had fallen from him and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan. 14 He took the cloak that had fallen from Elijah and struck the water with it. “Where now is the Lord, the God of Elijah?” he asked. When he struck the water, it divided to the right and to the left, and he crossed over.

15 The company of the prophets from Jericho, who were watching, said, “The spirit of Elijah is resting on Elisha.” And they went to meet him and bowed to the ground before him. 16 “Look,” they said, “we your servants have fifty able men. Let them go and look for your master. Perhaps the Spirit of the Lord has picked him up and set him down on some mountain or in some valley.”

“No,” Elisha replied, “do not send them.”

17 But they persisted until he was too embarrassed to refuse. So he said, “Send them.” And they sent fifty men, who searched for three days but did not find him. 18 When they returned to Elisha, who was staying in Jericho, he said to them, “Didn’t I tell you not to go?”

Healing of the Water
19 The people of the city said to Elisha, “Look, our lord, this town is well situated, as you can see, but the water is bad and the land is unproductive.”

20 “Bring me a new bowl,” he said, “and put salt in it.” So they brought it to him.

21 Then he went out to the spring and threw the salt into it, saying, “This is what the Lord says: ‘I have healed this water. Never again will it cause death or make the land unproductive.’” 22 And the water has remained pure to this day, according to the word Elisha had spoken.

Elisha Is Jeered
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

Re: Prayers and such [Re: yukon254] #7566315
04/22/22 10:02 AM
04/22/22 10:02 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Originally Posted by yukon254
When it comes to faith in God, I believe John 6:44 explains for us the reason real faith is hard for some. I've found that when things get tough attitudes can change.

My brother in law is an atheist. He always has been. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer about 3-weeks ago. They removed the kidney and found the cancer has spread. Its on his aorta now. Anyway its been very rough for him. He is still in the hospital. He was actually flown to another hospital yesterday. He has an infection now and the antibiotics they are giving him for the infection are shutting down his remaining kidney. Like me, my sister is a christian, and a few days ago my brother in law started asking for people to pray for him. This change is obviously driven by fear.....fear of the lord and what comes after death is the first step for some. Like the thief on the cross.

I respect Scuba's position, and would appreciate his thoughts if I was in a tight spot. He has obviously heard the gospel and rejected it. Someday that might change.

That reminded me of the saying
There are no atheists in a foxhole

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566318
04/22/22 10:06 AM
04/22/22 10:06 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
My father was a lifelong atheist. I witnessed to both of my parents many times. My father was so offended he didn't speak to me for months and said some very cruel things. That all changed after he had his second bypass operation. I wasn't there but I was told he asked for spiritual counsel and asked the Lord to save him just days before he died. He passed within a week of the second bypass.

I didn't mean to say I could care less about people making gestures of goodwill, I was speaking to the skeptics' appraisal of the Christian faith.

Re: Prayers and such [Re: Scuba1] #7566322
04/22/22 10:14 AM
04/22/22 10:14 AM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
I believe in and Love God, but I find it strange that people FEAR God. I never could relate to the whole concept. How can you really love something that you fear? Anyway, I think if you do unto others, you pretty much have things covered

Re: Prayers and such [Re: Rat_Pack] #7566349
04/22/22 10:31 AM
04/22/22 10:31 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Rat_Pack
I believe in and Love God, but I find it strange that people FEAR God. I never could relate to the whole concept. How can you really love something that you fear? Anyway, I think if you do unto others, you pretty much have things covered

The Hebrew word in Scripture is yirat and it steers towards more of an awe and reverence and "obedience" context rather than the English word "fear."

This is a very good overlay of what yirat means in the Book of Wisdom = Proverbs.
“According to the book of Proverbs, ‘the fear of the Lord’ is a continual (Prov. 23:17), humble, and faithful submission to Yahweh,
which compels one to hate evil (Prov. 8:13)
and turn away from it (Prov. 16:6)
and brings with it rewards better than all earthly treasures (Prov. 15:16)
the rewards of a love for and a knowledge of God (Prov. 1:29; 2:5; 9:10; 15:33)
and long life (Prov. 10:27; 14:27a; 19:23a),
confidence (Prov. 14:26),
satisfaction,
and protection (Prov. 19:23).”

—Douglas Sean O’Donnell, The Beginning and End of Wisdom, 2011.

At a basic level, the person committed a sin, lets say adultery always thinks they'll never be found out.
Sin does that in us.
Tells us not to fear it. That's it's ok. Everybody does it. It's good for you.
So, we do not fear sin. We might even embrace and promote it.
Many times the sinful seem to be getting ahead in life, so why shouldn't we be able to get ahead in life.

But always, and with no exceptions, sin comes out. One way or another. And sin is always destructive and SAVAGE.

It is written that the darkness hates the Light because the Light always casts out darkness, but the darkness can't cast out the Light.
But darkness sure tries its best to hide all that it really is and always will be.

Blessings,
Mark

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread