No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7566649
04/22/22 05:53 PM
04/22/22 05:53 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Dave Ramsey has some really good ideas that apply to personal and business finances. Most of it is common sense but good nonetheless.

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Oreamnos] #7566664
04/22/22 06:07 PM
04/22/22 06:07 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Oreamnos
My parents brought me up on Dave Ramsey's stuff. I think for the average person working a steady job for someone else his strategy is a good plan that offers a more stress free and wise path in life.

For a business owner or someone who wants to build more wealth I think Dave's strategy has its limits.

I personally do not follow Dave's methods. I've borrowed heavily to get my education and start my business. If I worked a $50k a year job, lived lean, and then saved to pay cash for my education and business, it would take me 50 years just to be able to get the doors of my business open. By borrowing money for capital and goods I am able to produce more services (and make more money) now and reap the rewards over my lifetime.

In all investment there is risk. You have to have a solid business plan and know your market whatever your business is.

There's a big difference between consumer debt and business debt. When you are taking on debt to invest in appreciating, cash flowing assets, that's when wealth can really start to grow. Debt can allow you to leverage your existing wealth in order to grow it. You should be looking at fixed loans over a set amount of time. Like a 10 year business loan with a fixed interest rate. Similar to a 30 year fixed home loan. You can get paid several different ways through business loans: 1) cash flow brought in by the business, 2) tax benefits, depending on circumstances you can often write off business expenses and even interest from the loan, 3) inflation hedging - by borrowing a fixed amount you allow inflation to erode that debt. Say you borrowed $10k for a welding set up. In 10 years $10k won't buy the same amount of equipment because of inflation. However, you have locked in your price with a fixed interest rate.

Borrowing money does require a firm plan and introduces risks. My life isn't as simple or stress free as it used to be. I am making a play to introduce wealth into my family though and live with a greater degree of abundance rather than scarcity. Time will tell if that was wise or not but like you, most of the well to do people I know have taken on some debt to achieve greater things.

Thank you for that , your second paragraph is alot of what im looking at

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 04/22/22 06:08 PM.
Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: waggler] #7566665
04/22/22 06:08 PM
04/22/22 06:08 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by waggler
None of the wealthiest people I know have ever had a car payment. And none of these people started out wealthy.
One of the worst things you can do financially is to borrow money to buy something that starts to lose value the second after you buy it.

Not what I'm talking about though.

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Flicker Shad] #7566690
04/22/22 06:52 PM
04/22/22 06:52 PM
TN
Oreamnos Offline
trapper
Oreamnos  Offline
trapper

TN
Originally Posted by Flicker Shad

If you're an entrepreneur, why did you need to spend lots of money on education? Honest question. I know people that just jumped into their business with no expensive college and did great.

Fair question. I didn't start out knowing that I wanted to be an entrepreneur/own my own business. It wasn't until after school that I became disillusioned with my field of work and choices and realized I wanted to do/accomplish more. That led me into entrepreneurialism and wanting to build my own business. I did however open a business that I couldn't have opened without my degree. So I am still using my degree. That said, knowing what I know now I do feel that I wasted a lot of years in school when I could have opened a business right out of high school. Then again, without all that school and debt maybe the fire never would have been lit under me?

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7566737
04/22/22 07:35 PM
04/22/22 07:35 PM
Wisconsin
L
Lance Squires Offline
trapper
Lance Squires  Offline
trapper
L

Wisconsin
We've always told our children that you don't spend more than you make and get rid of debt as soon as possible unless you're making more in your investments than what your being charged for loan interest. Pretty simple strategy for those not running a business but working for others.

57 years trapping. It's who I am. Every day is still as exciting as it was when I was a kid but a little more work.
Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7566825
04/22/22 09:06 PM
04/22/22 09:06 PM
MICHIGAN
WANNABE-TRAPPER Offline
trapper
WANNABE-TRAPPER  Offline
trapper

MICHIGAN
Robert kiyosaki says it best “Poor people follow Suzi Orman and middle class follows Dave Ramsey and rich and successful people don’t do anything that either of them say”

If you want to have a business that basically just gives a job and some simple tax right offs you can run it like Ramsey wants. But if you want Growth and true wealth his advice is terrible. Particularly when interest rates are low or you are in a capital intensive biz.

I own machine shop. And my accountant likes to say it’s better to pay interest instead of taxes. I can give you a an example how his advise is absolutely horrible.

So say you gross a million bucks in your company and you profit 200k.

With his advise you would save the money and/or pay down debt. But of course you have to pay taxes on your 200k profit. So after taxes you maybe you have 120 or 135k left.

Say you take a debt is good model. Like I do.

You profit 200k

You finance a new piece of equipment for 200k +

You depreciate 100% under section 179 of the tax code.

So at the end you have all 200k instead of the 120-135k

And you have another piece of equipment that you can generate more revenue with.

So you end up with 70K MORE in cash and the ability to earn a bunch more money.

Think beyond right or left don't be guilty of group think.
Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7566861
04/22/22 09:41 PM
KY
L
learch Offline
trapper
learch  Offline
trapper
L

KY
Not a business owner buy my wife and I have lived by his principals for many years and are debt free. We turned our son in law onto him when he was dating our daughter and he went and got a job working for him. He’s been with Ramsey for 9 years now. May not be for everyone in all situations but it has helped me sleep good.

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7566862
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
WannaBe.....I wonder what your definition of 'rich and successful' people is?

Last edited by midlander; 04/22/22 09:43 PM. Reason: .
Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7566870
04/22/22 09:48 PM
04/22/22 09:48 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
We got in a really bad spot early in our marriage and I got ahold of one of his books. I thought there’s no way I can do this with a wife and kids.
It was rough. Saved that first thousand and started paying off what we could pay off. We learned we didn’t “need” new vehicles every other year. We started saving our money separately from my 401K. Soon one thousand turned into $2K. $2K turned into $10K and it became a game so to speak. I honestly don’t know how much cash we have in the house, last count was a years salary…gross not net.
We live modestly, but we do whatever the heck we want. My trapping money pays for my out of state turkey trips and if any is leftover after Christmas gifts I normally “give” it away. The wife is a cruiseaholic and has elite status with two different cruise lines.
I drive a 2000 F150. We paid cash for the wife’s “new” car (Always have one good car for traveling purposes.)
The only payment we have is house and we have way more than enough to pay it off if we wanted to.
I’m not saying any of this to brag, but if you read and follow his teachings you can really eliminate debt or never get into it in the first place.
It’s nice to have cash on hand when you run across those deals that are too good to pass up, lol.

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7566984
04/22/22 11:06 PM
04/22/22 11:06 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Wolfdog- you really should take some time and read what people have posted for you. Read the posts 3 or 4 times and then get back with us what you think about what was posted. Several people here have invested time and effort to help you with good advice. My post may have been a little harder to understand but it said the same as some others but in a different way.

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7567011
04/22/22 11:28 PM
04/22/22 11:28 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by waggler
None of the wealthiest people I know have ever had a car payment. And none of these people started out wealthy.
One of the worst things you can do financially is to borrow money to buy something that starts to lose value the second after you buy it.

Not what I'm talking about though.

Wolfdog, I don't know whether or not Ramsey would suggest borrowing to buy a vehicle or not. I'm just saying that people who I know who have built wealth from nothing all seem to have the same mindset. If you can key in on that mindset/attitude you will do well. Whether it's Ramsey's way or a variation, all these people seem to have the same general approach to both life and creating wealth. I think it all starts with self discipline.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Slick Pan] #7567013
04/22/22 11:30 PM
04/22/22 11:30 PM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois

It takes money to make money.
Money is the cheapest tool you can buy.

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7567095
04/23/22 06:11 AM
04/23/22 06:11 AM
Southeast NY
G
Goneinsixty Offline
trapper
Goneinsixty  Offline
trapper
G

Southeast NY
Look up some of Robert Kiyosaki's videos and it will give you another perspective to debt.

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7567174
04/23/22 08:13 AM
04/23/22 08:13 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by cablejohn
It absolutely works. In all aspects of life. It is very hard to follow sometimes ,especially when you need something. The big plus side is that you won't end up in dept.

.....I'm coming the the conclusion though.....is that really the best thing though ? Again the more I look at wealthly people like legit wealthy people debt is a tool for them

Originally Posted by cablejohn
It absolutely works. In all aspects of life. It is very hard to follow sometimes ,especially when you need something. The big plus side is that you won't end up in dept.

.....I'm coming the the conclusion though.....is that really the best thing though ? Again the more I look at wealthly people like legit wealthy people debt is a tool for them

Your using debt and legitimately wealthy in the same sentence. whistle the only one legitimately wealthly in this case would be the banksters.

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Goneinsixty] #7567179
04/23/22 08:16 AM
04/23/22 08:16 AM
Over there.
F
Flicker Shad Offline
trapper
Flicker Shad  Offline
trapper
F

Over there.
Originally Posted by Goneinsixty
Look up some of Robert Kiyosaki's videos and it will give you another perspective to debt.

You are correct. One thing to think about is are you an established or a growing business or are you just starting up. Taking on debt is a choice and if your just getting started it might bite you if your business doesn't take off.

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7567412
04/23/22 12:25 PM
04/23/22 12:25 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
Ramsey’s advice for ridding yourself of consumer debt is solid. His system will work for 99% of the people out there. His system for investing is…not that great. Much easier and more successful ways to do. Read “A Random Walk Down Wall Street” if you want more details.

The conversation of debt, taxes and generating revenue is always interesting. Wannabe-trapper’s advice of paying interest instead of taxes is interesting and relies (in that particular scenario) on one particular provision in the tax code. Which could disappear next week. Sure, use it if available and it allows your business to grow in the direction you want it but how many 1-ton trucks are purchased every year just because of that tax break? At some point it is a shell game that puts money into the wrong coffers.

I fully agree with Ramsey that if you want to reduce your tax burden then you need to have a charitable giving plan. It also relies on a provision in the tax code but one that would be much more difficult to foul up than the previously mentioned.

Finally, if you want an example of a business that grew debt-free, look up the history of Ruger. WBR was burned once and then went on a debt-free strategy for decades. Is that the exception to the rule? Yes.

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7567478
04/23/22 01:27 PM
04/23/22 01:27 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I agree with Waggler. Self-discipline is the most important thing in the world. There's things you need and there's things you want.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Slick Pan] #7567684
04/23/22 05:37 PM
04/23/22 05:37 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Slick Pan
Wolfdog- you really should take some time and read what people have posted for you. Read the posts 3 or 4 times and then get back with us what you think about what was posted. Several people here have invested time and effort to help you with good advice. My post may have been a little harder to understand but it said the same as some others but in a different way.

I read most of the posts in here a few times, the only reason I have responded in full to all of them if because I'm pretty sure id come off rude. I appreciate everyone's input though

Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: midlander] #7568157
04/24/22 07:12 AM
04/24/22 07:12 AM
MICHIGAN
WANNABE-TRAPPER Offline
trapper
WANNABE-TRAPPER  Offline
trapper

MICHIGAN
Originally Posted by midlander
WannaBe.....I wonder what your definition of 'rich and successful' people is?

Hi net worth individuals. Say 3-5 million in assets. Depending on where you live.

Think beyond right or left don't be guilty of group think.
Re: Business owners : Dave Ramsey [Re: Wolfdog91] #7568173
04/24/22 07:41 AM
04/24/22 07:41 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

For some people Wolfdog, and for some reason, things have happened way beyond the ability of the person doing.
David Green, a self-made billionaire who founded Hobby Lobby, and who grew up in small town Oklahoma, is a prime example of that and I highly recommend reading anything he or Steven Green have written. Their common man's perspective is humble, powerful, and true and has helped countless people in very real ways, both in business and personal lives.

I am of that same camp.

His method continues to be a lifestyle of generosity in a land that promotes otherwise.
This is one of my fav reads, especially when it comes to leaving a legacy.
[Linked Image]

Blessings,
Mark

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread