No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Dillon Benda] #7567606
04/23/22 03:42 PM
04/23/22 03:42 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Dillon Benda
How many items would you say you sell a year? How many raw skins are used? No doubt there is a small group of people that use it need fur for practical reasons. Those people are already buying fur and the market is still poor.

Lets put it this way-there is no way I can supply the demand.
Just posted on a James bay indigenous site got 25 orders in less than 5 minutes.
Had to shut down.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: washxc] #7567609
04/23/22 03:46 PM
04/23/22 03:46 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
Originally Posted by washxc
Agreed, walleye. You could make a list of things. Fur is biodegradable, polyester sits in the landfill, fur is made in America not Vietnam, china, or Singapore, fur is made by workers making a livng wage, not sweat shop children ina far off land, fur has a much smaller carbon footprint, fur supports forested landscapes, cotton supports deforesting landscapes. Could have a new ad every day.

Fur is made in America??? Really??? Where exactly are all the big time fur garment manufacturers?? Not in the USA!! Lots of small mom and pop businesses but not nearly enough to use all the raw fur that is being harvested. Wages in the US have gotten too high, that is why fur garments are made over seas. What those employees in Viet Nam and Korea and China are making wouldn’t be considered a living wage in the US. Probably not too bad for the country they are working in.

Or am I missing something………..

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: wissmiss] #7567626
04/23/22 04:04 PM
04/23/22 04:04 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by wissmiss
Originally Posted by washxc
Agreed, walleye. You could make a list of things. Fur is biodegradable, polyester sits in the landfill, fur is made in America not Vietnam, china, or Singapore, fur is made by workers making a livng wage, not sweat shop children ina far off land, fur has a much smaller carbon footprint, fur supports forested landscapes, cotton supports deforesting landscapes. Could have a new ad every day.

Fur is made in America??? Really??? Where exactly are all the big time fur garment manufacturers?? Not in the USA!! Lots of small mom and pop businesses but not nearly enough to use all the raw fur that is being harvested. Wages in the US have gotten too high, that is why fur garments are made over seas. What those employees in Viet Nam and Korea and China are making wouldn’t be considered a living wage in the US. Probably not too bad for the country they are working in.

Or am I missing something………..

Maybe he missed that episode where most of the manufacturing moved to china including the tanning back in the 90's? There is still a bit probably in Kastoria.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567633
04/23/22 04:08 PM
04/23/22 04:08 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you look back at the hayday of the fur buisness in North America,it was all mom and pop fur sewers that drove the markets.
Every town in NE Ont had a family making fur goods.Places Like NY and Montreal had whole districts of mom and pop fur shops cranking out fur goods.

It is currently that way here with local people sewing fur goods for people on the land.The indigenous people who live and work out on the land and other people who use and wear fur do not buy into the animal rights stuff.

There seems to be some kind of disconnect from the real world by people who live urban.But that said,many urban people still buy and wear fur,or at least would like to,they just dont know where to get it.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567647
04/23/22 04:27 PM
04/23/22 04:27 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
There may be a lot of mom and pop fur shops around today but I seriously doubt they could use the one million raccoon pelts and hundreds of thousands of muskrat pelts plus everything else that is harvested today in the US and Canada.

Your local fur sewers in Ontario may be making fur items to sell to the local population, but that is just a drop in the bucket! If there was a demand for fur hats and mittens in the urban areas, I doubt they could satisfy the demand.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7568017
04/23/22 11:13 PM
04/23/22 11:13 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
A friend from China just told me 600 million Chinese live on less than $150 a month. That’s about 1000 yuan which was a poverty wage when I worked there 20 years ago. Child labor is seen in family farming, the scrap collection industry and other low wage Areas. The fur processing industries employee mostly women, not kids. But the wages aren’t great.

I believe prices will level out, over time. Between now and then, the specialty markets will carry the industry. Beavers today are worth about $10 skinned and frozen. This is a better market than last year. There are selective markets for other things, too. Those who do well, will know how to find such opportunities.

Never too old to learn
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7569088
04/25/22 10:30 AM
04/25/22 10:30 AM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
I just hope there continues to be any large market for fur. There will always be a smaller craft market but that's not indicative of a true fur market. I can honestly see a time where there will be no commercial market for some species of fur. Look at this year with the biggest buyer in the States not buying a handful of species at all. That's not a drop in the market or poor prices that's no market for many trappers. Many trappers post about their fur being held for 2,3,4 sales at FHA and then sold for prices less than the packing fee FHA gets. That is not sustainable in the long run for wild fur producers.

I hope the price of fur increases, my worry is that the market will cease to exist in any meaningful way. As it is now the market only exists because the producers (trappers) are willing to produce fur for below production cost on many species.

With the price of raw fur ADC trapping is the only way to cover expenses and pay yourself.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7569182
04/25/22 12:50 PM
04/25/22 12:50 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Ask those Chinese, Vietnamese if they are making a living wage. And if child labor laws are being followed.

Last edited by Gary Benson; 04/25/22 12:50 PM.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Gary Benson] #7569189
04/25/22 12:59 PM
04/25/22 12:59 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Ask those Chinese, Vietnamese if they are making a living wage. And if child labor laws are being followed.

"A living wage is defined as the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs. This is not the same as a subsistence wage, which refers to a biological minimum. Needs are defined to include food, housing, and other essential needs such as clothing."

Probably more so than North American trappers. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7569310
04/25/22 03:34 PM
04/25/22 03:34 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Once they bring in the Basic income and add it to your Alaska free money,all your fur money will be pure gravy.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7569486
04/25/22 05:27 PM
04/25/22 05:27 PM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
I sold to several places---taxidermy, fur auction and fur buyer---coyotes were half of last year cats a lot more fox,coon were cheap but at least they sold--I don't skin beaver without a firm price---the market is there

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7569490
04/25/22 05:30 PM
04/25/22 05:30 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Just got my cheque from FHA-Marten looking real good.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread