No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off road manual transmission tips ? update #7570880
04/27/22 10:10 AM
04/27/22 10:10 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ok so new farm truck in a little five speed 2wd Ford ranger . Dad just kinda bought it for next to nothing and said here learn to use it . Had to sell my Nissan ( money pit) and our GMC3500 is a bit too big to get to alot of places so yeah. Anyhow never drove stick so I've been watching YouTube videos like crazy and I've gotten past having this thing smell like I lit the clutch on fire ( never ground any heard though so I got that going for me grin). Anyhow I think I'm good enough for driving on the pavement but off road is a little rough. Been practicing in the cow fields around the house everyday after work and I thi knives got a decent grasps but still struggling.So couple of questions.
1. For a 2wd manual off road what gears should I be using? Been trying to mess around with 2nd and 3rd but honestly 1sr seems to do the best
2. Is 1500rpm too much to get my self going in first ? Seems my truck need that much to get moving good and not stall out
3. I was listening to a video on my way to work about driving off road with a manual and they where saying it's really good to have a manual modified so you keep it crawling with really low RPM's. Think there's was a jeep. How would a guy go about doing that ? Makes sense to me for the most part. Deal is I don't have anything thing like a low or high gear so not sure if it's something I can even do confused
4. Going up a hill in 1st giving it gas, get about 2000 rpm and it stalls out if I'm off the clutch completely. Is that normal ? I've played with working the clutch as I go up in rpms when I feel it about to stall out and that seems to work pretty good but I'm not 100% if that's the proper thing to do,as the first time I did it I really smelled like I did some work on the clutch lol shocked
5. If I'm climbing a hill and stall out, any way I can consistently not go flying back down the dang thing? I mean it seems if I break before I stall out and stay in gear it keeps it's self there but if I wasn't on the brak and I stall it's game over and I'm flying. The break don't seem to help much with that either

I'll probably have some more soon but that's about it for right now. Sorry if these are kinda stupid btw but again never drove a stick much before this I'm self teaching and, and YouTube actually doesn't have a tone on How to off road with a 2wd 5speed lol .
[Linked Image]

So update just wanted to show what I've been practicing on the last month or so. Mainly been trying to learn how to go up and down these little hills in the pasture. Going up stopping mid way turning the truck off sand trying to start and get the rest of the way back with minimal roll back. Little bit of a pain with this slick grass in the mornings though.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 04/28/22 11:59 PM.
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570884
04/27/22 10:15 AM
04/27/22 10:15 AM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Don't ride the clutch. You need to give it more gas instead of more clutch going uphill. Keep the rpms going

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570891
04/27/22 10:26 AM
04/27/22 10:26 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Keep that left foot off the clutch unless actually shifting gears and then only to shift smoothly.

Nasty habit of resting the left foot on the clutch pedal can cause slippage that'll burn up a clutch.

Forget the rock crawling videos you don't have enough terrain there to be considered off road. Drive it like you would on the street just slower.

Learn to "feather" the clutch and gas at the same time so as clutch engages RPMs take over smoothly.

[Linked Image]
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570892
04/27/22 10:29 AM
04/27/22 10:29 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
when you get it stuck pull it out with the tractor

otherwise first is your friend you will use first and second a lot

yes it is probably geared for highway driving

you would replace the gears in the rear end to make it lower but probably isn't nessacary when they talk crawl they are talking about going places you should never take a 2wd ranger

you get fast with the clutch , does it have a parking break

as you let the clutch out your foot slides brake to gas and the brake pedal will actually slap up

practice , my son stalled so many times when he got his S-10 you learn , learn better on not steep but you learn

shift if you hit 4-5K but no worries running at 3k in first climbing a hill don't try for the next gear just get up the hill

keep your momentum without going too fast that you can't control it

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 04/27/22 10:30 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570899
04/27/22 10:44 AM
04/27/22 10:44 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Good advice from the others. But from what I understand you are saying it stalls out when you get UP to 2000 rpm? If it is stalling out as you are revving it up and will only run at lower rpms, then that is an issue with the truck, not your driving.

It is probably higher geared than is ideal for putting around on the farm, so you are going to be using first a lot, and slipping the clutch to take off or go slow enough through the real rough spots. Only real way to fix that is to put lower gears in the rearend, or put a two speed transfer case in; neither probably feasible in a freebie truck of limited value. One of the big advantages of a four wheel drive, besides the obvious of power going to both axles, is the two speed transfer case and low range. A fair number of rockcrawlers like you are watching on youtube actually install multiple transfer cases so that they can really crawl.

Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570909
04/27/22 10:58 AM
04/27/22 10:58 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
When you master stopping on a hill then moving forward without any rollback you've got it down.

Used to be required on the driving test if you showed up with a stick to have you stop at one of the railroad crossings, the raised ones, then proceed across. Any rollback was fail.

[Linked Image]
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570911
04/27/22 11:00 AM
04/27/22 11:00 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
I can't even remember when I forgot how to drive a manual. I do remember my little sis learned to drive one in a few hours, like a champ. grin

Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570912
04/27/22 11:02 AM
04/27/22 11:02 AM
NE Mississippi
G
GRP Offline
trapper
GRP  Offline
trapper
G

NE Mississippi
What everyone has said. I have a 92 2wd 5 speed ranger I got when I was in high school, still use it for trapping hunting farm duties. We could post ad nauseum about way you should drive, but good ol practice is best. House I grew up in was off a 2 lane highway, steep gravel approach to pavement, left turn to head to town. Stressful on a 15 y/o headed to school on a rainy morn.
Yes, that truck is geared high, but being light it will surprise you where it will go when you learn to use the 5 speed to your benefit.

For by grace are you saved by faith, and not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570916
04/27/22 11:18 AM
04/27/22 11:18 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
If it's stalling you are in too high of a gear . Crawling around in a pasture field 1st is all you need

Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: GRP] #7570917
04/27/22 11:19 AM
04/27/22 11:19 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by GRP
What everyone has said. I have a 92 2wd 5 speed ranger I got when I was in high school, still use it for trapping hunting farm duties. We could post ad nauseum about way you should drive, but good ol practice is best. House I grew up in was off a 2 lane highway, steep gravel approach to pavement, left turn to head to town. Stressful on a 15 y/o headed to school on a rainy morn.
Yes, that truck is geared high, but being light it will surprise you where it will go when you learn to use the 5 speed to your benefit.

Had an 83 that I could get in and out of places a buddy with a jeep wouldn't try. They are pretty light, small and nimble. Though it wasn't immune to mud or deep ruts.

The only weakness was that it wasn't a truck to be used as a truck. Trying to haul hay and firewood like it was a F150 destroyed a transmission and a couple clutches.

[Linked Image]
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570921
04/27/22 11:21 AM
04/27/22 11:21 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Unless you have a low range gear (only found in four wheel drive models), are will not be able to creep along with that truck. If you need better traction in snow or mud just put some weight in the back.

BTW, before someone else points it out, there used to be some older two wheel drive manual transmission trucks that had a "granny gear", that was first gear, but you nearly always started out in second gear as though it was first.
I had a 66 Chevy with a 327 that was set up like that. You could go nearly everywhere with that truck if you had some weight in the back.
Wish I still had that truck, sold it in 1980 for $300.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570937
04/27/22 11:51 AM
04/27/22 11:51 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
If its for driving around off road you'll want lower gears (higher numerical number, 4:10s are lower than 3:10's)
Figure out your gears and see if there are lower rears cavailable (junkyard)
Also I notice that the tires look to be fairly tall, smaller dia tires will help also.

Never drive around slipping the clutch in and out, get it out and keep going, if your stalling you need more rpm's, lower gears and shorter tires will give you more rpm's too.

Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570953
04/27/22 12:11 PM
04/27/22 12:11 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
You need lower (numerically higher) gears. You can spend $1000+ on new gears and a limited slip differential, or you can go the junkyard route. A rear axle from a similar vintage explorer will physically fit right in there. The upside is that, with a little looking, you can find an axle with 4:10 years, a limited slip, 31 spline axles, and rear disc brakes. It'll bolt right up to your driveshaft and your wheels will fit just fine. The down side is that it'll require some modifications. The spring perches, and possibly the shock mounts, are different. Theyll need to be cut off the bottom of the axle, and new ones welded on top, of course making sure you've got the proper pinion angle. From what I've seen of your fabbing abilities, it shouldn't be a problem, it'll just take a little research and proper planning. You may need an adjustable proportioning valve for the brakes too, I'm sure a little google searching would answer that question.

Last edited by loosegoose; 04/27/22 12:16 PM.
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570961
04/27/22 12:19 PM
04/27/22 12:19 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Only one way to learn a standard. Just keep driving. Dont over think it. Listen to the engine.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570966
04/27/22 12:26 PM
04/27/22 12:26 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Time to start working on upshifting without the clutch and double-declutching on the downshifts. "Heal-and-toe" on gas & brake pedals, left foot for clutch.

Love driving a stick-shift.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7570969
04/27/22 12:29 PM
04/27/22 12:29 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
First off is the clutch is only used to keep from stalling when taking off. You are making the clutch slip doing this. That wears down the face of your clutch plate. After it is rolling keep your foot off the clutch pedal. The more you slip the clutch the faster your clutch plate will wear out. Practice on the flat or as close to it as you have access to. Once you get the take off on the flat down then practice the hills and such. NEXT you need to learn about mud. Not all mud is created equal.

You need to know the limitations of your truck. It will NEVER be a rock climber. I don't recall you saying what engine you have as that is also a limiting factor as well. Larger engines will give you more torque. If it is bucking you are in too high of gear.

Clutches aren't cheap and are a real PITA at best to replace.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7571041
04/27/22 01:55 PM
04/27/22 01:55 PM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
Yes get used to shifting on the flat first.. Then practice on a slight incline. (NOT A BOAT RAMP) .lol You'll get it . It just takes practice. Then you'll be speed shifting. No clutch except starting from dead stop.
just

Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7571060
04/27/22 02:30 PM
04/27/22 02:30 PM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
Lowes generally have large parking lots. Take it there after hours and learn to run it up and down the gears. Find a "not used a lot" road with an incline. Learn to stop on the hill and then get going again without rolling back.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7571062
04/27/22 02:31 PM
04/27/22 02:31 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Use the clutch shifting a gas engined pickup. It aint a peterbilt

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Off road manual transmission tips ? [Re: danny clifton] #7571112
04/27/22 04:14 PM
04/27/22 04:14 PM
Indiana
D
DanN Offline
trapper
DanN  Offline
trapper
D

Indiana
1- always start in first gear , you should not need too much rpm above idle to get moving .
2- when upshifting always use the clutch to change gears - dont upshift without using clutch - hard on sychonizers.
3- once moving down the road and changing gears let the clutch out fully -then press the accelerator - dont feather the gas while letting up the clutch in 2nd-5th gear. - see alot of people do that.
4- when coming to stop signs ,dont down shift through the gears to engine brake - put it in neutral and use the brake pedal. Your clutch will last longer and its easier on the engine and transmisssion.
5- never use the clutch to stay stationary on a hill.

Ive had several manual transmission vehicles that ive put over 400,000 miles on each and never had to replace a clutch or transmission .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread