No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7573302
04/30/22 08:17 AM
04/30/22 08:17 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Good one!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7573310
04/30/22 08:22 AM
04/30/22 08:22 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

laugh

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7573384
04/30/22 10:04 AM
04/30/22 10:04 AM
Minnesota
Born Offline
trapper
Born  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
I don't believe modern records can be trusted either due to human error and the site used to take temperature having changed over 100 or 200 years.

Help yourself.

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7573390
04/30/22 10:10 AM
04/30/22 10:10 AM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
Good lord Mark you'd want all of those nut cases as neighbors?
just

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7573395
04/30/22 10:15 AM
04/30/22 10:15 AM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
My thoughts
A lot of trained scientific thinking people think that WE are the cause of a part of global warming.
Not the sole cause but a part of it hat has never been there before..
Sorry but I believe the trained scioentist folks instead of a bunch of trained trappers.
just

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7573418
04/30/22 10:48 AM
04/30/22 10:48 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
So Walleye, am I not allowed some poetic license with my numbers? LOL For hyperbole sake, one may use 99% when perhaps true numbers are only 97%. Let's say 97% is wrong maybe it's 90? I think the point is still right on. There is no doubt that the vast majority of the scientists involved with the study of climate change concur that human caused greenhouse gases are causing climate change.

Now, do they get paid to do this work? Of course! DO the small percentage of naysayers get paid to refute? YES!!!! Only difference is Big Fossil Energy pays their bills. And pays a lot better than the government does. If you care to look that up you can. I have. Find the names of the naysayers and follow the money trail.

And finally, even a guy like me that ain't all that bright, but, has some science background as a college educated Ag guy can figure out the physics of how trapped greenhouse gases don't allow for heat to escape into the atmosphere. The more insulation you put on your greenhouse the warmer it is. Yup, very easy cause and effect.

And finally, nobody in the scientific crowd is saying that climate hasn't always been changing. That argument is a non-starter. It is only that things are going warp speed right now, and human fingerprints are on the causes.

It's a shame that the issue has become so politicized.

Last edited by beaverpeeler; 04/30/22 11:29 AM.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7573467
04/30/22 12:05 PM
04/30/22 12:05 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Climate change is just like normal weather. Everyone talks about it but does nothing about it.

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: beaverpeeler] #7573488
04/30/22 12:43 PM
04/30/22 12:43 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
So Walleye, am I not allowed some poetic license with my numbers? LOL For hyperbole sake, one may use 99% when perhaps true numbers are only 97%. Let's say 97% is wrong maybe it's 90? I think the point is still right on. There is no doubt that the vast majority of the scientists involved with the study of climate change concur that human caused greenhouse gases are causing climate change.

Now, do they get paid to do this work? Of course! DO the small percentage of naysayers get paid to refute? YES!!!! Only difference is Big Fossil Energy pays their bills. And pays a lot better than the government does. If you care to look that up you can. I have. Find the names of the naysayers and follow the money trail.

And finally, even a guy like me that ain't all that bright, but, has some science background as a college educated Ag guy can figure out the physics of how trapped greenhouse gases don't allow for heat to escape into the atmosphere. The more insulation you put on your greenhouse the warmer it is. Yup, very easy cause and effect.

And finally, nobody in the scientific crowd is saying that climate hasn't always been changing. That argument is a non-starter. It is only that things are going warp speed right now, and human fingerprints are on the causes.

It's a shame that the issue has become so politicized.

Unfortunately beverpeeler, you don't need poetic license because those are not your numbers, but a repeat of a global warming talking point that has been floating around for many years. Yes the percentage points don't matter, because the main point is inaccurate. Words matter. The climate is changing and there are many scientists, perhaps even a vast majority, that concur that human greenhouse gases are contributing to climate change. I highly doubt you can find a majority of credible scientists who claim that human actions are the cause of climate change.

I will allow you some poetic license on the warp speed part though wink.

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: walleye101] #7573563
04/30/22 02:34 PM
04/30/22 02:34 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Climate is changing, as it has for millions of years. Who is to blame unfortunately has become so political that we choose to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and watch instead of act. just look at the USA from a storm perspective. When I was young, 50 plus years ago tornado alley was Oklahoma, today it is 500 miles east of their in northern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee etc. That is a big change as those big storms that periodically fell on the great plains now more often fall in the southern Midwest and central USA. No big deal to have 2-3 dry year in the great plains or the west out of 10, but 5-7 dry years out of 10 and huge differences are occurring. If we think fighting over climate change is and has been a big deal politically, wait until we see the politics involved in gaining, keeping or losing water rights or funding for continued storm damages, or bailing out high priced land that no longer has water. We have not seen how ugly humans can be yet.

Bryce

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: ] #7573864
04/30/22 09:53 PM
04/30/22 09:53 PM
Virginia
52Carl Online content
trapper
52Carl  Online Content
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by Mark June
I bet more than a few on this site like this man made scenario.

[Linked Image]

Good one Mark. smile
Only problem is that if all of the icebergs were to melt overnight, the sea level would not rise one bit by the morning.
Icebergs are already displacing 90 % of their volume. The 10% which is above the water is not a factor, as ice volume is reduced by 10% once it melts.
You need to focus your blow torch on all of the ice which in on land to achieve your California solution.

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: walleye101] #7573870
04/30/22 09:59 PM
04/30/22 09:59 PM
Virginia
52Carl Online content
trapper
52Carl  Online Content
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by walleye101
Ok, then how does iceland become the new cornbelt with global cooling? I guess I'm having trouble following the logic.

You got me walleye. I got my wires crossed on cooling vs warming. Therefore, never mind and carry on. smile

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: bblwi] #7573956
04/30/22 11:26 PM
04/30/22 11:26 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by bblwi
Climate is changing, as it has for millions of years. Who is to blame unfortunately has become so political that we choose to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and watch instead of act. just look at the USA from a storm perspective. When I was young, 50 plus years ago tornado alley was Oklahoma, today it is 500 miles east of their in northern Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee etc. That is a big change as those big storms that periodically fell on the great plains now more often fall in the southern Midwest and central USA. No big deal to have 2-3 dry year in the great plains or the west out of 10, but 5-7 dry years out of 10 and huge differences are occurring. If we think fighting over climate change is and has been a big deal politically, wait until we see the politics involved in gaining, keeping or losing water rights or funding for continued storm damages, or bailing out high priced land that no longer has water. We have not seen how ugly humans can be yet.

Bryce

It is not about who to blame, but cause is critical if we are going to have rational discussions about how much we try to control it, or if efforts are better allocated to managing for the inevitable change.

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: walleye101] #7573968
04/30/22 11:42 PM
04/30/22 11:42 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by Boco
Over 40 million people in the SW USA will soon be out of drinking water.
Lake Mead is drying up.
That will be quite a few refugees on the move.

Lake Mead is an interesting example to claim man-made climate change. Lake Mead is not really a lake, but a man-made reservoir, built in 1930's due to the need for more water as populations increased in the SW. The water shortage in SW USA is nothing new. Populations and water use have continued to grow, so I guess it is accurate to say the water shortage is a man-made dilemma.

I never claimed it was man made,in fact I never claimed anything - I made a statement about 40 million refugees soon to be on the move because lake mead is drying up-just a fact.

Last edited by Boco; 04/30/22 11:44 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: beaverpeeler] #7573993
05/01/22 12:49 AM
05/01/22 12:49 AM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Climate change has always been a thing, but it is not coincidence that the planet is heating up at warp speed right now (geologically speaking) with the world having experienced several of the hottest years of record in the last decade. 99% of climatologists are in agreement that greenhouse gases being given off due to human influence are the cause. There really is no intelligent counter to this at all anymore.

So sorry, this is total bogus news. The 1% of of scientists that are saying climate change is not being influenced by human activity have bolstered their bank accounts from the likes of Exxon, etc etc. Follow the money.

You’re right about following the money. Doesn’t government fund the research done by these scientist as well as liberal leaning universities. Think fundamental change.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: AKAjust] #7574066
05/01/22 07:56 AM
05/01/22 07:56 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by AKAjust
My thoughts
A lot of trained scientific thinking people think that WE are the cause of a part of global warming.
Sorry but I believe the trained scioentist folks instead of a bunch of trained trappers.
just

Name me just one of these trained scientist, just one. I am not sayin there aren't any. I am just sayin you are just repeaten talkin points, media repour and stuff you want to believe. If you actually believed what you wrote above , you could name a bunch.

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7574071
05/01/22 08:00 AM
05/01/22 08:00 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

How dare you!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Diggerman] #7574074
05/01/22 08:05 AM
05/01/22 08:05 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Diggerman
My thoughts
just

Name me just one of these trained scientist, just one. I am not sayin there aren't any. I am just sayin you are just repeaten talkin points, media repour and stuff you want to believe. If you actually believed what you wrote above , you could name a bunch.

Actually, AKA is much closer to the truth than some previous posters. Credible climate science has shifted from trying to prove man as the cause of climate change, to a recognition the much of the observed change is normal variation, and mans actions are likely contributing to climate change.

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: AKAjust] #7574303
05/01/22 01:15 PM
05/01/22 01:15 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

My thoughts
just

Don't count me in that pile.
I'm one trained scientist who doesn't think humans have moved the meter temp stick very much, if at all.
I consider it all a lie.
Science is full of illegitimate premises that post-modernists consider baked to perfection.

Interesting how the scientists have elevated their category of "science," (with all its subcategories), above so many things in only a few hundred years.
Over those few hundred years, the focus of science with its scientists (most of whom today I'd call advocates rather than scientists) has discounted just how vast and interconnected everything really is and so you get these dimwit scientists declaring they have reached the end of their thesis and they, and they alone, with their posse of advocates are know-it-alls.
There is absolutely NO SUCH THING in the science of science.

All I know is, I like rain and I like sunshine and none of these dimwits know much at all about the grandeur of all of the cosmos.
I come from this field and I fully realize the 20th-21st century scientist is chasing accolades and position and the top office, just like where you work.
The one who tells the boss what they want to hear gets promoted, while the one who says, "Hey, just one second..." gets culled from the herd.
Welcome to the world of science. The pursuits are grand, but the system is broken.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7574315
05/01/22 01:33 PM
05/01/22 01:33 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Mark's phrase about how vastly interconnected everything is.......reminded me of something I read a few days ago. I think it has relevance to this subject and also to trapping and hunting.

Here's the excerpt:

" In 1958, Mao launched the “eliminate sparrows campaign,” arguing that birds were stealing grain from farmers’ fields. For every million sparrows killed, Mao promised, there would be food for an additional 60,000 people. More than three million people were mobilized in Peking alone. Schoolchildren banged pots and pans day and night to keep the birds from sleeping. Middle-school girls were organized in rifle regiments and given shooting lessons. Ordinary people climbed trees and strangled chicks in their nests.

Within a year, China’s sparrow population had collapsed. The result was a swarm of locusts that attacked crops. The annual harvest had already been badly damaged by collectivization. Massive statistical errors from the overreporting of harvest data convinced central planners that China actually enjoyed a “super-abundance” of grain, when in fact production was contracting. Tens of millions of Chinese died in the resulting famine.

SOURCE

I find it interesting that GIRLS were organized into rifle regiments. Also, I wouldn't think Mao would care about food for 60,000 more people.

Anyway, the interconnectedness is obvious IMO

Last edited by white17; 05/01/22 01:35 PM.

Mean As Nails
Re: Climate Change Commentary [Re: Willy Firewood] #7574362
05/01/22 02:40 PM
05/01/22 02:40 PM
Oregon 66
bfflobo Offline
trapper
bfflobo  Offline
trapper

Oregon 66
Plants eat CO2 and produce oxygen. Plants good, CO2 good, Oxygen good. Politicians, liberal kool-aid drinkers bad. Earth climate cycles have been tied to the suns cycles. I believe this. Politicians can't tax the sun and have no control.
Why are the Communist countries not concerned about climate change? Because it is being used to control us.
Climate change, Saturday night specials, assault weapons are just sensational titles given to things by media and politicians to control and tax. There is no real definitions for these.

Last edited by bfflobo; 05/01/22 02:57 PM.

Clean traps,tight lines,straight shooting
http://i.imgur.com/3sawxE9m.jpg
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread