No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tree Seedling Planter 3pt [Re: Eagleye] #7574998
05/02/22 11:44 AM
05/02/22 11:44 AM
E.C.Iowa
Z
Zookeeper Offline
trapper
Zookeeper  Offline
trapper
Z

E.C.Iowa
I have a lot of experience on the back of a forester tree planter, and if you can have someone help separate the seedlings, and keep the boxes filled, you should be done by noon. At one point, my boss (who drove the tractor) and I (on the planter) were trying to beat the rain later that evening. With two helpers to get the seedlings to me, we averaged a little over 1100 trees per hour. This was done in a tilled area, where the trees would grow for a year or two, then be transplanted. Just leave your phone and coffee in the truck, cause you won't have time to even look up. Sorry I didn't get this in sooner. Good luck, as now the work begins.

Re: Tree Seedling Planter 3pt [Re: Eagleye] #7575018
05/02/22 12:21 PM
05/02/22 12:21 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Eagleye
Just a follow-up- I got a loaner planter from the DNR and it took us about 10 hrs. to plant the trees- day 2 was way more productive after we tweaked the planter. At first you can see from pic 3 that the closing wheels were not rolling the furrow back over on one side, not a lot of adjustments on the planter but if the plow tip was tilted deeper the furrow rolled over better as it started to self- close before the wheels came in contact. The white spruce were brutal to plant, only 1yr old so you had to bend pretty far to get them seated well (it would’ve been just as fast to dibble those). The White & Red pines were 3 yr old seedlings and that went fast, including all the American Plums with a nice root base in pic 1. We took out time, planted one row and went back and planted misses and heeled everything in, caged all the Bur Oaks- finished sore and tired after about 2,000 trees including some additional Red Osier Dogwood and it started to rain so timing was good. Can’t say enough good things about the Wisconsin DNR Nursery staff – great people and awesome customer service.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are the ones with the black screen around them the Burr Oaks?
If so they are very close to each other.
Burr Oaks are trees of the open prairie/savanna, they like lots of light.
Plan on loosing a bunch or thinning in the future?

Re: Tree Seedling Planter 3pt [Re: Eagleye] #7575021
05/02/22 12:24 PM
05/02/22 12:24 PM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline OP
trapper
Eagleye  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Dirty D- Both transplants and high mortality- Oaks like about 20 ' - 25' from what I've been told.

Re: Tree Seedling Planter 3pt [Re: Eagleye] #7650839
08/15/22 10:50 PM
08/15/22 10:50 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I had a co-worker somehow get her foot caught while operating a tree planter & it broke her foot fairly bad.

Re: Tree Seedling Planter 3pt [Re: WIMarshRAT] #7650927
08/16/22 06:35 AM
08/16/22 06:35 AM
Minnesota
Northernbeaver Offline
trapper
Northernbeaver  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
Very good feedback OKforester on adjustments. Get that right and it is off to the races.

Eagleye, How far up north? I still have frost in the canary grass covered parts of the ground here. I wanted to plant some willow and dogwood today, but frost wouldn't allow.

I think my days on a planter are over. I hate the rows as they are not wildlife friendly. So I spend way too long spading them in.

Justin, can you go more in detail on why you diskike rows?

The official Trapping Across the World Discord server.

https://discord.gg/AsdrzB5XgE
Re: Tree Seedling Planter 3pt [Re: Northernbeaver] #7651209
08/16/22 02:20 PM
08/16/22 02:20 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by Northernbeaver

Probably because I don't have to rely on the income from the timber production and enjoy the benefits of a younger forest. grin My biggest issue is it is not natural. Where else in nature do you see rows upon rows of anything growing? Usually only where man has cultivated, and it usually comes at a significant cost to the things I care most about. I believe there are even some studies that note rows of the same species of tree are the hardest on wildlife. Rows of monocultures tilt the predator prey relationship in favor of the predator. I also think it tends to favor the predator of the trees as well.

I prefer to work with nature instead of against. I like to plant trees in clusters like you find in nature. To me, it is all about creating more edge habitat. Focus on clusters of different species at different ages. Wildlife flourishes with diversity of edge habitat. Doesn't matter if you are talking rabbits, deer, pheasants, grouse, etc. I don't want to be able to see 50 yards through my woods. With rows, you see from one side to the other no matter the distance or age of tree.

The worst is pine planted in rows. Once you get about 25 years old, the bottom branches die and fall off. They are a complete desert in terms of wildlife and you still have significant number of years before timber value will justify cutting.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Tree Seedling Planter 3pt [Re: WIMarshRAT] #7651242
08/16/22 03:11 PM
08/16/22 03:11 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
Originally Posted by Northernbeaver

Probably because I don't have to rely on the income from the timber production and enjoy the benefits of a younger forest. grin My biggest issue is it is not natural. Where else in nature do you see rows upon rows of anything growing? Usually only where man has cultivated, and it usually comes at a significant cost to the things I care most about. I believe there are even some studies that note rows of the same species of tree are the hardest on wildlife. Rows of monocultures tilt the predator prey relationship in favor of the predator. I also think it tends to favor the predator of the trees as well.

I prefer to work with nature instead of against. I like to plant trees in clusters like you find in nature. To me, it is all about creating more edge habitat. Focus on clusters of different species at different ages. Wildlife flourishes with diversity of edge habitat. Doesn't matter if you are talking rabbits, deer, pheasants, grouse, etc. I don't want to be able to see 50 yards through my woods. With rows, you see from one side to the other no matter the distance or age of tree.

The worst is pine planted in rows. Once you get about 25 years old, the bottom branches die and fall off. They are a complete desert in terms of wildlife and you still have significant number of years before timber value will justify cutting.

To each his own but I've watched my father take a 270 patch of wore out eroded dirt not worth a few hundred an acre and retire a comfortable multi millionaire with pines all in a row.

That patch of dirt will now help provide for generations to come.

[Linked Image]
Re: Tree Seedling Planter 3pt [Re: Eagleye] #7651277
08/16/22 04:21 PM
08/16/22 04:21 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
For sure Warrior. That's why I prefaced my comments the way I did. I am not afraid to give up a little profit as I get tremendous value from wildlife. If I was willing to sell the opportunity at that wildlife along with timber, it probably would be a wash. But If money was the only object, my land would be filled with houses.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread