No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system #7575655
05/03/22 07:40 AM
05/03/22 07:40 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

I think it's helpful to understand history, where we've come from, to help guide us to where we're headed.
It's obvious to those who know history that our culture is shifting evermore towards the default of human governance seen in all of recorded history known as the shame and honor system of social order.
America was founded on the principles of Judea-Christian tenets which is known as "good & evil" or more recently in history as "right and wrong" but make no mistake, these two social constructs, "shame & honor" and "good and evil" oppose one another.

As an example of human social order seen throughout history, the Roman Empire stood for 800 years. The philosopher Tac wrote about how these Romans overtook the Greeks (the Hellenists) during that time; "They (the Romans) ransack the world, and afterwards, when all the land has been laid waste by their pillaging, they scour the sea... They plunder, they murder, they rape, in the name of their so-called empire. And where they have made a desert, they call it peace."

The Hellenists and Romans and many societies today were constructed a particular way;
In Rome for example;
3% were the wealthy elites, the senatorial and equestrian classes.
17% were the moderately wealthy merchants, traders, large landowners, and military vets
25% were the stable merchants and wage-earners, or large shop owners
30% were the subsistence farmers, laborers, and small shop owners
25% were the below subsistence level folk: unattached widows, orphans, beggars, disabled, prisoners, or slaves

And in this structure there was absolutely no right or wrong. It was not a concept because it had not yet been taught as one. There was only position and in that was honor and shame.
Those above those beneath could do as they pleased.

So, as we witness people go unpunished for breaking laws, and other people used as props by the elites, and all of it, we should at least realize where human nature seeks to go once again... to shame and honor... and away from the discussion of "good and evil" because human nature has always despised what opposes it.

The post-modernist among us will in error drastically as they think that how we live now - as a nation blessed by laws based on individual freedom and liberty, and justice for all - was some sort of human progress. Well, that person would not study history in depth. Honor and shame is the default and we as a nation are being pulled back into it more and more every year.

There's only one way back to the equal justice principles which the Founding Fathers set this nation upon and I see very few politicians in 2022 even aware of them.
But we pray that this changes.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system [Re: ] #7575657
05/03/22 07:52 AM
05/03/22 07:52 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Good morning Mr June, blessings to you.

Re: The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system [Re: ] #7575663
05/03/22 07:58 AM
05/03/22 07:58 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Hey Donnersurvivor,
Blessings to you and the Mrs. and the tribe in motion sir!

Mark

Re: The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system [Re: ] #7575675
05/03/22 08:11 AM
05/03/22 08:11 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Good morning, mark June.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system [Re: ] #7575677
05/03/22 08:13 AM
05/03/22 08:13 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Hey run!
Blessings brother.

I gotta run. You have yourself a right nice day there in the wonderful land of Virginia!

Mark

Re: The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system [Re: ] #7575681
05/03/22 08:18 AM
05/03/22 08:18 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
You too, Mark June.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system [Re: ] #7575683
05/03/22 08:19 AM
05/03/22 08:19 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I think the 3% are well aware of equal justice principles, somehow though those principles dont seem to apply any more. If they ever did. Plenty of injustice among the elites that went unpunished through out our history. Also in the rest of the world. Its a problem I dont see an end to. Those with power will always use that power to benefit themselves.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system [Re: danny clifton] #7575864
05/03/22 01:03 PM
05/03/22 01:03 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Below is a link that briefly discusses the era of the Roman Republic versus the Roman Empire, the two together do make up the roughly 800 years referenced in Mark's OP
Interesting to note that the republic came before the empire which may indicate when Rome took over the Greeks that the idea of a republic form of a democracy came with that. I am not that in tune with in depth history but it would be interesting to note that if the shame and honor system was in place for both of the stages of the Roman rule how the approach, impact or system may have been carried out or addressed under two quite different political systems.
I don't know all the reasons but we as a nation chose to utilize the English tort law system instead of the more Roman constitutional law system and I don't know if that plays into our history and our culture today and for the future.
https://www.historycrunch.com/republic-vs-empire-in-ancient-rome.html#/

Bryce

Re: The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system [Re: ] #7575888
05/03/22 01:50 PM
05/03/22 01:50 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Are you saying that what we view as right and wrong (shame and honor) changes over time?

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: The reemergence of the Shame & Honor system [Re: Jerry Jr.] #7575916
05/03/22 02:33 PM
05/03/22 02:33 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
Are you saying that what we view as right and wrong (shame and honor) changes over time?

I think I laid out what I wanted to bring up for discussion on our Tman'ing forum.
People today have a very limited knowledge of where philosophies originate, but that is due only to our minimal appreciation in our post-modern era for all things historical. History has taken a back seat to science during the last two centuries as today anything over 20 years old is called.... obsolete.

Our forefathers were incredibly well read and historical in their worldview, and most certainly read the likes of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle and many more.
THANK GOD they were, as they crafted the finest testament to human rights documents ever known to humankind, shy of the template it was derived from...... God's Word.

And yes, cultural norms have always changed but God's Word has not. Human promises can shift no matter what John Wayne movie you watch.
God's Word is Truth.

Jesus' teachings, built upon the Law and God's administration through His Prophets over the course of 2000 years preceding Him, transformed this world.
THANK GOD.

Blessings JJ,
Mark

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread