Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
"The Last Alaskans" #7571834
04/28/22 11:48 AM
04/28/22 11:48 AM
St. Maries, ID
teacherman Offline OP
trapper
teacherman  Offline OP
trapper

St. Maries, ID
Well first off if you haven't watched the 4 seasons of "The Last Alaskans" on Prime you are really missing out. It is the only show I've ever watched on TV that actually shows trapping for what it is, honestly one of my favorite shows.

With that said, after living and trapping in Alaska for a good portion of my life I have a pretty good understanding of just how expensive it really is... Do you think with today's furs prices a person could actually make enough money to survive? In one of the episodes, they said they need to make at least 10K a year trapping, and with today's fur prices of $68 average lynx and $50 average marten, that is a lot of marten and cats. Then add in gas prices and everything else hitting record highs... I love seeing people living the subsistence lifestyle but it really feels like this way of life is dying in more than one way. Even if you have someone who wants to do it, can they really make it work anymore? Anyways I woke up at 3 this morning thinking about it so I figured I'd ask the experts.

Re: "The Last Alaskans" [Re: teacherman] #7571846
04/28/22 12:15 PM
04/28/22 12:15 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Not an expert. I've made over 10k this year gross, but it's sewing, not trapping. Real tough to make 10K gross with $50 marten or $68 lynx unless you have awesome marten country, or both species in decent numbers, in one area. The big problem is anything else I can do for work, is less risky, less work, and pays better, so why bother?

Last edited by Dirt; 04/28/22 06:08 PM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: "The Last Alaskans" [Re: teacherman] #7572353
04/29/22 12:11 AM
04/29/22 12:11 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Not to get too far off track, but I'll bet there are lots of antis sitting in their urban heck hole just gloating over the fact that bush and rural lifestyles are disappearing.
I think these folks are just envious and desire everyone else be just as miserable and desperate as they are. They truly are sick.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: "The Last Alaskans" [Re: waggler] #7572366
04/29/22 01:02 AM
04/29/22 01:02 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by waggler
Not to get too far off track, but I'll bet there are lots of antis sitting in their urban heck hole just gloating over the fact that bush and rural lifestyles are disappearing.
I think these folks are just envious and desire everyone else be just as miserable and desperate as they are. They truly are sick.

This isn't a recent phenomenon. In the old days there were at least 5 families making a living off maybe half my turf. This lack of trapping in the bush is old news. That started in the late 80's early 90's. There is a reason my kids aren't trappers. Actually there are anti's trappers out here that tolerated me, because they knew this was about me earning a living. I always made an effort to keep a low profile.

Last edited by Dirt; 04/29/22 01:36 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: "The Last Alaskans" [Re: teacherman] #7575535
05/03/22 01:55 AM
05/03/22 01:55 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Why do you think that trapping needs to support them? Up to half the year can be spent earning wages or other sorts of money making activities.
All the people on that show leave the trapline for part of the year.

Re: "The Last Alaskans" [Re: teacherman] #7578097
05/06/22 10:34 AM
05/06/22 10:34 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
And of coarse they are getting paid for doing the show. And I bet It's more then 10 grand.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman