No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Powder types, Shotguns [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7578747
05/06/22 10:53 PM
05/06/22 10:53 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds
Originally Posted by wildflights
@Feedinggrounds How fast and how heavy of a shot charge would you like in 12 gauge?

Speed? How fast is a rabbit or grouse? Seriously, if I can duplicate normal game load performance for 12 or 20 gauge, with #4 or #6 I have about 50# of each size. The #4 and #6 game loads are the most expensive now. 7.5 and 8 Skeet loads I have plenty of and are priced ok.

Rabbit and grouse are subsonic wink

Game loads are generally 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz @ 1250 fps in 12 gauge. Unique would be my first pick in 12 and it'll serve well in 20. Unique, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Herco and Universal fill that same slot.

Longshot is my favorite 20 gauge powder but it leans towards faster hunting loads (1,300++) in 12 gauge. If you like fast, you'll love Longshot.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Powder types, Shotguns [Re: Feedinggrounds] #7578757
05/06/22 11:01 PM
05/06/22 11:01 PM
il
M
marsupial magnet Offline
trapper
marsupial magnet  Offline
trapper
M

il
Herco is my go to for 1.25 oz 12ga or 1oz 20 ga. It preforms well with any heavy load in a full length barrel.
I keep a little green dot around for light loads but it hasnt ever paterned as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread