No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tradesmen and their pricing [Re: upstateNY] #7484831
02/04/22 03:34 PM
02/04/22 03:34 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Got a call to trap some skunks.Went there,,and it was an Old Lady comes out on a walker.I could tell she didn't have much.Skunks were under her porch.She asked what I would charge,and I said it depens how many skunks and how long it takes me,,but I promise it wont be much. ( I know that's bad business practice,,but I had no intentions of charging her at all).She says OK,,my husband used to take care of stuff like this,,but hes been gone for ten years now.Well,,I got the skunks out of there.Im yanking traps and she comes out and asked what she owes me.I said this one is free cause I was in the area any how(wich I wasn't).She says you sure,,I says yup.Well,she said theres something in the old barn you maybe could use,,follow me.She gave me a bushel basket FULL of Blake and Lamb 1 1/2 jump traps that were like new,,and three Coon sized Haveahart live traps that used to be her husbands. LOL Once in a while a good deed DOESNT get punished.
smile Other than stuff like that,,I am NOT bashfull when it comes to charging for my services.They are paying for knowledge that took me many years to accumulate.

I call them apple pie jobs. I tell the people I will send them an invoice but I never send one. The apple pie name came from an old couple that were heating their house w/firewood and came to the mill where I worked for scrap wood every day. My 2 brothers and I delivered and stacked 3+ cords of wood for the people. She came out in tears and wanted to pay me. I said enjoy the heat, I will send an invoice. Two weeks later she stopped at the mill with an apple pie. My brothers and I ate the pie with tears of joy!

Re: Tradesmen and their pricing [Re: Posco] #7484995
02/04/22 06:23 PM
02/04/22 06:23 PM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Bet that apple pie really tasted great !

RdFx
Re: Tradesmen and their pricing [Re: Posco] #7485053
02/04/22 07:12 PM
02/04/22 07:12 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Had a guy that wanted an estimate on his crashed car....I get to his House and look at...he says..I got All the parts you need to fix it. I said ...you might as well keep going And fix it yourself... got in my truck and left. When I was young and dumb...I would have taken the job..

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Tradesmen and their pricing [Re: MikeTraps2] #7579612
05/08/22 02:46 AM
05/08/22 02:46 AM
FL
305trapper Offline
trapper
305trapper  Offline
trapper

FL
Originally Posted by MikeTraps2
I know when I started in the NWCO business I did not charge nearly enough. I was just trying to make some spare money, over the years I learned just how far off the standard prices I was.

Now I charge what I feel that any other company who does quality work would charge. I don't get every job, but I get plenty even though I charge more.

I still feel like I am not charging enough. Im in South Florida and charge roughly $80 per hr rate. Whats the going rate In iowa?

Re: Tradesmen and their pricing [Re: Posco] #7579613
05/08/22 03:33 AM
05/08/22 03:33 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline OP
trapper
Posco  Offline OP
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
It might a good idea to price in some security. My son-in-law had $6,000 worth of lumber stolen from his site three or four days ago. That's probably twelve 2×4s in today's market but still.

Re: Tradesmen and their pricing [Re: strike2x] #7579616
05/08/22 05:08 AM
05/08/22 05:08 AM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Online happy
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Online Happy
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Originally Posted by strike2x
I don't know what the guy charged but I am doing 1400 square foot of laminate. The going rate in my area is approximately $2 per square foot. I do it for $1. I will have job done tomorrow with less than 20 hours. That is a fair price according to the market yet I think it is high. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice work! You guys that have the patience and back needed for flooring work, I respect! Hand and knee work would put my back on fire.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread