No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Bullet casting PID #7580101
05/08/22 06:24 PM
05/08/22 06:24 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Finally got this little do hickey I bought off a fell a while ago up and running on my pot. It's called a PID and basically all it is is a temp controller deal. Plugs into the wall and the pot plugs into it it monitors the temperature of the lead with a probe. I just set it tow whatever temp I wanna keep it at and it will basically keep it there within 1-3 degress + or - . Sure makes casting a little easier especially since my pots temp controller dosent seem to work thing would go to 900+ degrees and just keep climbing all the time. Made it a little bit of a pain trying. To keep it stable
[Linked Image]

Re: Bullet casting PID [Re: Wolfdog91] #7580132
05/08/22 07:28 PM
05/08/22 07:28 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I never molded any bullets, but I have done sinkers, jigs and duck decoy weights. I never cared if what I was molding wasn't prefect, Does it matter if a sinker or jig is a little light? I am sure that would be a big plus molding bullets.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Bullet casting PID [Re: Wolfdog91] #7580466
05/09/22 10:09 AM
05/09/22 10:09 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline
trapper

ND
Have you noticed that your alloy and bullets are dropping more consistently? I've thought about adding a PID to my pot. I think the temp swing that happens after the heating elements turn off and before they come back on are detrimental to more precise casting. I'm still pretty new to casting, but having a PID would really help to dial in a more accurate temp.

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Bullet casting PID [Re: DakotaBoy] #7580469
05/09/22 10:14 AM
05/09/22 10:14 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
Have you noticed that your alloy and bullets are dropping more consistently? I've thought about adding a PID to my pot. I think the temp swing that happens after the heating elements turn off and before they come back on are detrimental to more precise casting. I'm still pretty new to casting, but having a PID would really help to dial in a more accurate temp.

I've only been playing around with it the last few days just piddling around but I can assure you my boolits have Ben much nicer ! The next thing I'm going to invest in is a lazer thermometer for checking my mold temp and some better alloy. What caliber you casting for ?

Re: Bullet casting PID [Re: Wolfdog91] #7580481
05/09/22 10:52 AM
05/09/22 10:52 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

I've only been playing around with it the last few days just piddling around but I can assure you my boolits have Ben much nicer ! The next thing I'm going to invest in is a lazer thermometer for checking my mold temp and some better alloy. What caliber you casting for ?

A laser thermometer is on my list to get one of these days as well. So far I just cast for a 30-06, 30-30, and 9mm.

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread