No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7577257
05/05/22 08:53 AM
05/05/22 08:53 AM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Looking at this again. That drop tube in the front center position shouldn't go all the down to the plate. There is a hex head screw to loosen so you can raise that.

On that same drop tube, the little red gauge measures wad pressure. When you're loading, you'll want that drop tube to bottom out the new wad in the hull, registering some wad pressure.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7577385
05/05/22 12:07 PM
05/05/22 12:07 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
I used to way back when Moby Dick was a minnow and I was a kid reload them with my grandfather. Hulls in them days were still made out of paper material and after reloading them a few times, the crimp would get soft. So when you were out hunting and pointed the scatter gun barrel down, the shot sometimes would go AWOL and you would just be throwing a wad at what you were shooting at. Fun memories.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7577391
05/05/22 12:22 PM
05/05/22 12:22 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Been doing a little reloading myself. 1500 rounds to go. crazy That's a lot of pulls on a single stage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Finster] #7577392
05/05/22 12:28 PM
05/05/22 12:28 PM
texas
L
la4wd54 Offline
trapper
la4wd54  Offline
trapper
L

texas
Originally Posted by Finster
Been doing a little reloading myself. 1500 rounds to go. crazy That's a lot of pulls on a single stage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You right, like 7500 plus a few for good measure.

Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7577395
05/05/22 12:36 PM
05/05/22 12:36 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
My best friends parents and my parents bought “us” a reloader for Christmas when we were about 12 years old. What they were thinking is beyond me, lol. We reloaded everything from birdshot, rock salt, metal shavings, to BB’s that used to come in the little packs at the curb store. What’s even more impressive is we both still have the same shotguns we used to shoot all that through!! I still take mine out every year for a dove shoot.

Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Wanna Be] #7577575
05/05/22 07:21 PM
05/05/22 07:21 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
My best friends parents and my parents bought “us” a reloader for Christmas when we were about 12 years old. What they were thinking is beyond me, lol. We reloaded everything from birdshot, rock salt, metal shavings, to BB’s that used to come in the little packs at the curb store. What’s even more impressive is we both still have the same shotguns we used to shoot all that through!! I still take mine out every year for a dove shoot.

Yup, did the same stupid crap when I was a kid. Even mixed different powder! Loaded BB's, ball bearings, nails, batteries instead of slugs, you name it! I also still have the shotgun. A 16ga, Mossberg bolt action. I haven't shot it in years. My Lord, that shotgun has taken a lot of game in its day. Rabbits, squirrels, deer, grouse, you name it. Even got a groundhog with it once. Maybe I'll buy a box of 16's and shoot some trap with it for old times sake.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7577633
05/05/22 08:25 PM
05/05/22 08:25 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I never bothered boxing shotgun shells. It was just a time consuming nothing to me. I threw them loose in a ammo can or a 5 gal bucket. When I went hunting the ammo can or bucket went in the PU. A five gallon bucket of shotgun shells is enough for any hunt.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Rally] #7580401
05/09/22 08:31 AM
05/09/22 08:31 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Rally
Wolfie,
On the bottom of the presses where the base mounts you’ll see two holes in the base and two holes in the upright bar. For 2 3/4” shells, put the bolt in the bottom hole on the bar and the bottom hole of the base. The upper holes are for loading three inch shells.
The advise above about the crushed hulls is probably correct, it appears you are using a 6 point crimp starter to crimp an eight point crimp.
I own seven of the Mec 600’s and have been loading on them about 50 years. I’ve bought most of them at garage sales for under $40. It appears you have the same press just several years apart in age and have minor differences in the dies.
My best advice to you would be to contact Mec and get the appropriate owners manuals and when you order the primer pads and springs your missing on both presses unless they came with a box of parts. Mec may send them free of charge with a parts order. I think the owners manual will help you out because there are several adjustments on the crimping, sizing, and wad pressure that are explained in the manuals, and will help you out in the future.
You were also given some good advice about picking one type of hull and sticking with it, because almost every experienced reloaded I’ve known has ended up doing just that eventually , because each hull type requires adjusting the press to get correctly loaded ammo with that hull. If you stick with it long enough you’ll start loading and casting your own buckshot and slugs too.
When I buy a press that is rusty like those I first remove the top of the press that holds the shot and powder bottles on and the drop tubes, essentially any part the powder will come in contact with and set them aside, and never use anything but a dry rag to clean these parts. You don’t want even the slightest chance of powder coming in contact with any oil or solvent, which can cause powder contamination or powder build up on the charge bar or bushings. If you really have some problem spots on any of these parts further cleaning use alcohol or a brake cleaner that will evaporate quickly.
To clean the rest of the press, I take a quart of transmission fluid and a quart of diesel fuel and mix them together. I use a clean paint brush to apply this mixture to the entire remaining parts of the press. I stand the press up in a bucket or large bowl and give it all a good bath, then leave it soak at least overnight. I then take a bronze or stainless toothbrush to any stubborn rust or grimy spots. Then I take an old towel and dry off as much as I can by just rubbing it all down. If you want to repaint the press, give the whole thing a bath in mineral spirits before repainting. If your not gonna repaint it the above mixture leaves a good rust inhibitor coat that soaks into all the moving parts.

Ps: Rustolium makes a paint that is real close to the original color. I believe it is called “Regal Red”:

Wow thanks ! Seriously you guys are a wealth of knowledge with this stuff !got me really wanting to try load some (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) shell , actually sitting at the range right now after picking up some hulls typing this. Recokon I'll start keeping all the nice hulls I find in a buck by them selves.
O and here a pic of the starting die
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Finster] #7580405
05/09/22 08:33 AM
05/09/22 08:33 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

shocked

Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Finster] #7580446
05/09/22 09:25 AM
05/09/22 09:25 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ouch. I'd be finding me a progressive.

Re: Who reloads shot shell ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7580575
05/09/22 01:42 PM
05/09/22 01:42 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Wolfie,
That finish crimper needs to have all that rust cleaned out of it. An electric drill and a shotgun cleaning brush wrapped in fine steel wool will clean it up nicely. Soaking all those parts in the above solvent will make cleaning those presses much easier.
That is a six point starter crimp you have pictured above.
To change from 6 point to 8 point crimp, you just need to unscrew the starter crimp and replace the 6 pt with an 8 pt. If you didn’t get the extra 8 pt part they are only a couple bucks new.

Last edited by Rally; 05/09/22 02:18 PM.

Keep your boots dry
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread