No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Anyone dabble with paper patched bullets ? #7580456
05/09/22 09:48 AM
05/09/22 09:48 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Yeah I know it's not even 9a.m and I'm on my ten thousandths question for the month , sorry I work night shift so I'm wide awake laugh crazy

Anyhow any of y'all happen to have messed with paper patched cast bullets with either smokeless or black powder ? If I'm understanding this right it will allow you to push some pretty soft lead alloys to almost jacket velocities and keep great accuracy! Trying to pry some infor out the guys at castboolits but think their a little fed up with me right now laugh grin but yeah any of y'all mess with this ?

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone dabble with paper patched bullets ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7580467
05/09/22 10:11 AM
05/09/22 10:11 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline
trapper

ND
I haven't done any paper patching yet, but what are you trying to gain by patching that you can't accomplish with powder coating?

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Anyone dabble with paper patched bullets ? [Re: DakotaBoy] #7580470
05/09/22 10:18 AM
05/09/22 10:18 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
I haven't done any paper patching yet, but what are you trying to gain by patching that you can't accomplish with powder coating?

Well from what I'm seeing and reading with paper patching you can push really soft alloy like something that 13-15 BHN up to jackets velocities and have it shoot MOA pretty easy. To me that seem like it would be down right amazing for a hunting round. A softer lead bullet moving 2400fps out of a .30-06 with that's kinda accuracy just really really peaks my interest. Like I'm loving my PC bullets especially in the smaller stuff but idk I'm liking this paper patching thing the more I hear about it

Re: Anyone dabble with paper patched bullets ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7580475
05/09/22 10:26 AM
05/09/22 10:26 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I want to play with it more but have not done much yet

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Anyone dabble with paper patched bullets ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7580478
05/09/22 10:38 AM
05/09/22 10:38 AM
N E,Ohio
O
ohiosnareman Offline
trapper
ohiosnareman  Offline
trapper
O

N E,Ohio
Wolfdog , I did some paper patching about 50 years ago to see if I could get better groups with my "06" . I found it a little hard to do with my not so nimble fingers . It is a good way to shoot soft lead at speed . Fun to play with . Give it a try , it is cheap fun .Lots of info on the net as you know . Use good cotton bond paper . Works best in cut rifled barrels . The patch has to leave the bullet at the muzzle for best grouping .

old and tested
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread