No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Found a new coon bait... #7580552
05/09/22 01:13 PM
05/09/22 01:13 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
My sister's better half called me yesterday and told me he had coon that was messing up his bird feeders. They live in a rural setting, and he has an old live trap, so he baited it with corn several days, but coon kept knocking it off and stealing the corn. Well, I took one of my Williams live traps and the only thing I had for bait was some doggy treats, that I use to stop the neighbor's yappers quiet.

I didn't know if they would work, but worth a try. There was only 8 pieces of the treats left... In Fred's trap I put one piece on the solid metal pan and 1/2 piece outside and another just inside the. In my trap I broke 2 of them put pieces outside and just inside the trap. the rest of the bag I cut into with about 5 pieces and a shiny metallic color, so I left that metallic color flashing in the light.

The first thing this morning I got a call and he told me there were 2 coons, one in each trap. I just came back from dispatching them 1 male and 1 female medium sized. I rebaited the traps this time with baby carrots with "Laughing Lady" coon lure from Dakota Line Lures.

But I do know that I am going to buy some more of the doggy treats from Walmart for next season. They are dry and you could carry them in your pocket if you wanted. They smell so enticingly like bacon... I keep thinking I might want to try them for myself. (photo below)

This reminds of some coon baits I concocted 50 years ago. It was actually the year I caught 360 coon.. My bait kept freezing and didn't have any scent to attract coon. I was trapping in an area that was closed to public so I was using old wood and screen drop door traps that weighed about 35 pound each. So I got the idea to try and create something would give off enough scent but wouldn't freeze solid. So I finally came up with 2 items... I melted paraffin wax in a can and mixed fresh bacon grease in one batch and the next batch I mixed in peppermint oil. You have to really stir it good to keep it from separating. At that time all egg cartons were paper type and would absorb some of the liquid. I poured the 12 cups of the carton as full as could be filled, then set them in the refrigerator. After they cooled and became solid, I cut them into 12 individual cubes and stored them in bread wrappers in the fridge. They stayed fresh and the scent lasted quite a while. It was cold enough that I left them in the car in box I carried for my bait and lure. When checking my line, to rebait after a catch, all I had to do was throw one of the cubes to the back of the trap and move on. These worked well for about 3 years and I stopped using them... I guess I figured it was too much of a hassle to make them.

Garry-

[Linked Image]

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Found a new coon bait... [Re: Actor] #7580570
05/09/22 01:34 PM
05/09/22 01:34 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
MMMM,Bacon flavour.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Found a new coon bait... [Re: Actor] #7580590
05/09/22 02:00 PM
05/09/22 02:00 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Coons love bacon has been mu experience

Re: Found a new coon bait... [Re: Actor] #7580596
05/09/22 02:06 PM
05/09/22 02:06 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I use bacon fat In my DPs and It works well. And rain dosen't effect It and It keeps the traps from rusting LOL

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Found a new coon bait... [Re: Actor] #7580861
05/09/22 08:49 PM
05/09/22 08:49 PM
venango county,pennslyvania
minklessinpa Offline
trapper
minklessinpa  Offline
trapper

venango county,pennslyvania
run them thru a food processer and try them for k-9's!

life member Pennsylvania trappers
life member vfw
member fta
Re: Found a new coon bait... [Re: Actor] #7580865
05/09/22 08:51 PM
05/09/22 08:51 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
They really like black sunflower seeds too.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread