No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
black one #7581204
05/10/22 10:14 AM
05/10/22 10:14 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline OP
trapper
west river rogue  Offline OP
trapper

Brought one here 20 yrs ago from a house job and still breeding blacks.[Linked Image]

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581212
05/10/22 10:30 AM
05/10/22 10:30 AM
ny
G
gcs Offline
trapper
gcs  Offline
trapper
G

ny
We have one area here that black squirrels , while not super common, live. maybe a square mile. None to the east, west, north or south. One year you'll see a half dozen, the next year none...wonder if the black ones get picked off easier by the hawks...?

Re: black one [Re: gcs] #7581213
05/10/22 10:34 AM
05/10/22 10:34 AM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by gcs
We have one area here that black squirrels , while not super common, live. maybe a square mile. None to the east, west, north or south. One year you'll see a half dozen, the next year none...wonder if the black ones get picked off easier by the hawks...?

The black ones seem to get picked off by cars the most seems like. A town i stocked always has them killed on road.

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581219
05/10/22 10:44 AM
05/10/22 10:44 AM
Siberia 🐁
T
Tatiana Online content
"Mushroom Guru"
Tatiana  Online Content
"Mushroom Guru"
T

Siberia 🐁
Originally Posted by west river rogue
The black ones seem to get picked off by cars the most seems like. A town i stocked always has them killed on road.

Melanistic gray squirrels tend to become more common once they appear in the population in suburban and urban areas with low predator pressure. Somehow this melanistic mutation is connected with more brazen and aggressive behavior and black-colored squirrels push out regular agouti-colored ones. This might also explain why they get hit by cars more often. Coincidentally, a friend of mine used to breed laboratory rats that they selected solely for aggressive-defensive behavior (part of the Belyaev experiment), and after several generations, individuals with more melanin appeared in the stock spontaneously, so there's a biochemical connection between melanism and behavior of some sort.

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581226
05/10/22 10:51 AM
05/10/22 10:51 AM
New York ,Adirondack mts.
M
mole Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
mole  Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
M

New York ,Adirondack mts.

Blackie

[Linked Image]

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581229
05/10/22 10:55 AM
05/10/22 10:55 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
more common here then any others

olden tyred
Re: black one [Re: Tatiana] #7581231
05/10/22 10:56 AM
05/10/22 10:56 AM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by Tatiana

Melanistic gray squirrels tend to become more common once they appear in the population in suburban and urban areas with low predator pressure. Somehow this melanistic mutation is connected with more brazen and aggressive behavior and black-colored squirrels push out regular agouti-colored ones. This might also explain why they get hit by cars more often. Coincidentally, a friend of mine used to breed laboratory rats that they selected solely for aggressive-defensive behavior (part of the Belyaev experiment), and after several generations, individuals with more melanin appeared in the stock spontaneously, so there's a biochemical connection between melanism and behavior of some sort.

Well,,the blacks seem aggressive in a cage but I have reds,blacks,grays and fox squirrels on my place and also in the village i stocked.....which is contrary to what you read. They also breed with grays .

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581234
05/10/22 11:04 AM
05/10/22 11:04 AM
Siberia 🐁
T
Tatiana Online content
"Mushroom Guru"
Tatiana  Online Content
"Mushroom Guru"
T

Siberia 🐁

the blacks seem aggressive in a cage but I have reds,blacks,grays and fox squirrels on my place and also in the village i stocked.....which is contrary to what you read.

This is just a hypothesis to explain why melanists become the dominant morph in some cities, which is a trend observed both in the US and in European countries where they have been introduced smile

We only have red squirrels here, but among them, melanists are very rare and do not seem to become more common with time (but we have some pale oddballs with red tails, or colored like Siamese cats)....

Re: black one [Re: Tatiana] #7581243
05/10/22 11:11 AM
05/10/22 11:11 AM
trapper
trapper

the blacks seem aggressive in a cage but I have reds,blacks,grays and fox squirrels on my place and also in the village i stocked.....which is contrary to what you read.

This is just a hypothesis to explain why melanists become the dominant morph in some cities, which is a trend observed both in the US and in European countries where they have been introduced smile

We only have red squirrels here, but among them, melanists are very rare and do not seem to become more common with time (but we have some pale oddballs with red tails, or colored like Siamese cats)....

I understood that but it doesnt hold true here. The blacks are always the minority here in my area and all the towns where we have them. I observe first hand as a field biologist and damage control trapper. Why,no idea. To say otherwise would only be a hypothesis on my part.

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581246
05/10/22 11:14 AM
05/10/22 11:14 AM
Michigan
Northcountry Offline
trapper
Northcountry  Offline
trapper

Michigan
On any given squirrel hunt around my house, I will see red (pine), fox, gray and black squirrels. We have more black squirrels than any other type, by far.

A black squirrel is simply a color phase of a gray squirrel and they are classified as such in our hunting rules.

[Linked Image]

-NC

Re: black one [Re: Northcountry] #7581248
05/10/22 11:16 AM
05/10/22 11:16 AM
trapper
trapper

Originally Posted by Northcountry
On any given squirrel hunt around my house, I will see red (pine), fox, gray and black squirrels. We have more black squirrels than any other type, by far.

A black squirrel is simply a color phase of a gray squirrel and they are classified as such in our hunting rules.

-NC

exactly right@a color phase.

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581252
05/10/22 11:21 AM
05/10/22 11:21 AM
Siberia 🐁
T
Tatiana Online content
"Mushroom Guru"
Tatiana  Online Content
"Mushroom Guru"
T

Siberia 🐁

I understood that but it doesnt hold true here. The blacks are always the minority here in my area and all the towns where we have them. I observe first hand as a field biologist and damage control trapper. Why,no idea. To say otherwise would only be a theory on my part.

Interesting! Coat color genetics is a fascinating subject. About 40 years ago, we had a sudden influx of odd-colored squirrels, which were also very friendly. I only have a few old pictures my dad took, but some of those squirrels were very unusual, including piebald with blue eyes, or black with white bands on their tails, etc. They disappeared completely after a few years, so some people think they were a product of some secret experiment....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581259
05/10/22 11:30 AM
05/10/22 11:30 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD

My favorite college wildlife prof, Dr. Vagn Flyger mentioned this decades ago. Observed in a number of species.

Interesting fellow.
And pioneer in SO many areas of modern wildlife management.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagn_F._Flyger

Re: black one [Re: Tatiana] #7581421
05/10/22 04:45 PM
05/10/22 04:45 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Online content
trapper
Giant Sage  Online Content
trapper
G

Wy

I thought they got ran over because they look like a cat. whistle

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581776
05/11/22 01:20 AM
05/11/22 01:20 AM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Where I grew up in a small town in southern Michigan, if you saw a gray colored gray squirrel, it was considered a freak of nature. Pretty much all black squirrels.

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581819
05/11/22 06:52 AM
05/11/22 06:52 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
In fifty years of hunting squirrels in a two-county area here in southeast PA I have never seen a black squirrel. I spotted my first one three or four years ago in a forty-acre swamp I hunt behind my property. Since then they have increased to the point where about 25% are black.

There have always been black squirrels around my camp in north-central PA and the ratio of black to gray seems to hold at roughly 25%.

It has been my observation that they cohabit and I don't see more aggression from either the grays or the black color phase. I have a great picture somewhere of a gray and a black looking out of a den hole in the side of a huge oak tree.

Now red/pine squirrels are a different story. Despite their smaller size, those aggressive little buggers will drive grays out of the area.

Eh...wot?

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581893
05/11/22 08:59 AM
05/11/22 08:59 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD

I understood that but it doesnt hold true here. The blacks are always the minority here in my area and all the towns where we have them. I observe first hand as a field biologist and damage control trapper. Why,no idea. To say otherwise would only be a hypothesis on my part.[/quote]

Dr. Flyger did say that melanistic individuals within a species did have higher mortality rates, not just due to standing out to predators, but also because they are more aggressive/ risk takers.

Re: black one [Re: DaveP] #7581912
05/11/22 09:49 AM
05/11/22 09:49 AM
trapper
trapper

Dr. Flyger did say that melanistic individuals within a species did have higher mortality rates, not just due to standing out to predators, but also because they are more aggressive/ risk takers.[/quote]
Ill buy that!

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581936
05/11/22 11:10 AM
05/11/22 11:10 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Like em!!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: black one [Re: west river rogue] #7581963
05/11/22 12:05 PM
05/11/22 12:05 PM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
Kind of odd, we have a few black squirrels down here in the south and they are color phase of fox squirrels - not gray squirrels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread